News: Now showing in theaters: CRY MACHO, directed by and starring Clint Eastwood!

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: THE OUTLAW JOSEY WALES: Acting 1: Eastwood's Performance  (Read 3672 times)
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« on: September 28, 2004, 12:34:30 AM »

It's meant a lot to me, probably more than any other film I've done. It's caused more nostalgia among viewers. I've had more viewers come up, even today people come up and say, "Oh, yeah, that's my absolute favorite Western." And even with Unforgiven, which was an extremely successful film. I always felt that if Josey Wales was released today maybe it would have had the same recognition as Unforgiven.
(Clint Eastwood, from the 1999 documentary Hell Hath No Fury: The Making of The Outlaw Josey Wales)

What do you think of Eastwood's performance as Josey Wales? Do you feel his love for the film comes through in his performance? Discuss scenes in which you feel his performance is the most enjoyable, and describe what in particular you like about it. Is there anything you dislike?
Bronco_Billy

Email
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2004, 06:53:06 AM »

Clint really looks like he lived the part , and it shows in the hard bitten performance.

I liked his smaller exchanges with the sub characters like Granny and the carpet bagger , they provided a sense of time and place and the human side to Josey.

« Last Edit: September 30, 2004, 06:49:37 AM by Will T. » Logged
Wombat

"Now spit"

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2004, 11:25:19 PM »

I have never met CE.  However, like many of you out there in CE Cyber Land I have read lots about CE, I have seen the interviews and the documentaries and to my mind I feel that Josey is Clint.

Now, that is not to say CE is going to go mad and start shooting up California.  Not at all but what Josey stands for, in my opinion, is what CE stands for.  You can clearly see throughout his films that CE has a very strong sense of what is right and what is wrong.  And CE believes in justice.  CE has a human side as is displayed in his films also but the underlying theme is his sense of right and wrong.

The scenarios and the settings of his films are the channels to express this theme of right and wrong.

Additionally, from a more mercenary point of view MANY people can directly identify with the films because they see what is right and what is wrong.  The downtrodden doing well, the affronted gaining their revenge.  It is a base human nature at its best and I just soak it up like one huge sponge.

Justice in the 'real' world is sometimes too expensive (lawyers) or too unattainable or just totally ignored by 'society' and bureaucracies BUT Josey and all the other characters of CE (well most anyway) find justice and personal justice at that.  Josey certainly does.

Regards,

Wombat

"I'll be comin' with ya"
vik
Member Extraordinaire

flags of our fathers

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2004, 08:44:39 AM »

i think most actors will say some of them is in a film character - but with CE i think its lot more than that - thats why many of his films appeal to those that like the human factor

and yes your right wombat if you see CE talk about films he has alot of the warmth and humour of josey

i can't rightly say there is one scene from josey wales that CE doesn't act superbly if i listed them i would list them all

i would like to say that his timing and his facial expressions with all the charcacters is what makes alot of the scenes and the spittin  - thats why i can watch it again and again and never tire of seeing something different

oh yeh and the shootouts and the riding and ...

its one hellva film and its timeless

« Last Edit: October 07, 2004, 09:13:56 AM by vik » Logged

england -  its flag the St George flag
Philo Beddoe Jr
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2004, 11:17:01 PM »

Well it's nice to see him refer to it in comparison to Unforgiven the way he does, because I have always felt, as he seems to express, that OJW is just as good a film.

Clint really fitted the part, and one thing I noticed viewing it this time around, is that he has two scenes wher he cries.  A lot of people say the first time he cried on film was in In the Line of Fire, but he cries at his sons grave, and his eyes water up when the young boy solider dies.  I feel that Clint displayed more emotional depth in this film (through his relationships with other characters) than he usually does in most of his performances, and that makes it stand out in his filmography.

WKC.

dane with no name
Member Extraordinaire

I dont think it's nice you're laughing...

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2004, 11:17:06 AM »

One of his best performances ever, for the best part he´s ever played.  Nuff said...
Wombat

"Now spit"

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2004, 02:50:47 AM »

As I have said in many a post:

The BEST FILM CLINT HAS EVER DONE !!

Regards,

Wombat

"I'll be comin' with ya"
ItsForYou

Drifter in the Desert

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2004, 02:52:08 PM »

Flawless................totally mezmerizing

The only man you can trust is a dead man...........or a gringo like me.
A. Myers

Email
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2004, 06:22:12 PM »

Just a note, I am glad to be able to discuss one of my favorite Clint Eastwood films of all time.

Clint Eastwood plays Josey Wales without flaw. Josey is on a crusade, not out of selfish desire for wealth or glory, but to show that morality can sometimes best be found in vigilantes. I find that Clint Eastwood expresses this in his characters often, morality is Josey's fuel to fight. The death of his family, the Indian who feels his land is wrongfully taken, the two women harassed by the bandits, all show a quest for morality that creates a wonderful fellowship. Josey's harshness is shown often, but then there is his compassion. I think this is one of Clint's best performances of all time.
mgk
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2005, 07:04:28 PM »

Thanks to everyone for participating in this discussion. This topic is now closed, please post any additional thoughts in the Clint Eastwood Westerns forum.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T