News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Enforcer  (Read 24974 times)
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2003, 04:44:09 PM »

The Enforcer is actually my favorite Harry sequel.  The villains aren't as good as the death squad cops in Magnum Force, but they're a world better than those in Sudden Impact.  I think Kate is by far a more interesting partner than Early Smith... there's just a ton more character development here, and that's an important factor to me.  And Harry is just a little "dirtier" in The Enforcer than he is in Magnum Force.  I guess they were trying to quiet the "fascist" remarks with Magnum Force and bent over backwards to make sure everyone knew they were wrong about Harry if they thought that... and in so doing, they made Harry the #1 cop in San Francisco.   I thought it was great to see Harry bucking the system again in The Enforcer, instead of trying to fix it like he did in Magnum Force.  And some of my favorite Eastwood scenes of all time are in The Enforcer, mainly the "7 point suppository" and "oral examining board" scenes... just great Callahan moments.

Sudden Impact is more visually mature and adept, but it's more a Jennifer Spencer movie than a Harry Callahan one.   And while I love Harry's one-liners, someone else here once said  that's all there IS to this movie... just one snarly one-liner after another.  You know what?   That was a pretty good call.

I like Magnum Force, but I rate it third, and Sudden Impact is fourth.  The Enforcer has a few weak moments, but the good moments more than make up for those.  It's just fun to watch and a real enjoyable couple of hours.
Brendan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2003, 10:11:36 PM »

???  I don't see it.  I mean, not even close.   Harry was never "pumped full of bullets", but he did take a bullet here or there... he took one in Dirty Harry... and still kept "going on."  Doesn't make him a "Rambo type," does it?   What's so bad about him using the Laws rocket?  It was part of the storyline, it didn't just come out of nowhere like the harpoon gun in The Dead Pool.

But, I guess this just had to become another thread comparing Eastwood to either Schwarzenegger or Stallone.  That's been going on since you started posting regularly... even if there IS no comparison.  ;)

I dont care anymore.

And I dont care anymore what you people think about Arnold Schwarzenegger. Hate him if you want, I really dont care.

I didnt like the Enforcer all that much, and my opinion will never change on it. Say what you will about it, I didnt like it.
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2003, 08:39:18 PM »

Nightwing, this is a discussion board.  You made a statement that some of us didn't agree with and we responded to your post... that's what we do.  That's sort of... the whole reason we're here.  I'm not trying to convince you that you should like The Enforcer... everyone doesn't have to like and dislike the same movies, you're free to have your own opinion.  But if you give opinions that are a little off-the-wall, like the idea that they were trying to make Dirty Harry a Rambo-type character because he used a Laws rocket... or that he got pumped with bullets and kept going... you may have to defend your post if others come along and offer their differing opinions.

And yes, it's a little tiresome to read post after post of yours that compares Eastwood in some way to Stallone or Schwarzenegger... they're not in the same class of actor or film-maker.  If either of them branch out into movies that have as much range as Eastwood's shown in his career... westerns, cop, romance, musical, comedy, drama, thriller, murder mystery, documentaries, etc.  and then directs them, composes the music for them, casts them, produces them, assists in the editing, and whatever else goes into making a film which I'm sure Eastwood sinks his teeth into... I could understand the comparisons.  But as it is... I stand by my statement... there IS no comparison.  It doesn't mean I hate Schwarzenegger... I honestly don't care enough about him or his films to hate him. If you're a big fan of his, that's fine.  Find a message board where they discuss his films... and then compare them to Eastwood's films time and time again and see how long before that gets tiresome to HIS fans.
Brendan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2003, 09:49:11 PM »

I understand Matt. I apologize for my post and after re-reading it now, I know it wasnt really fair. Last night, some unpleasentess happened, and I shouldnt have brought my emotions to the board, and said what I said. I'm sorry.

Now, I agree that we all have our own opinions and we should expect retaliation. Thats a given.

But what it seems to me is that they were getting away from the Harry Callahan from 'Dirty Harry' and turning him into something else. The use of the rocket launcher bothered me becuase it was too over the top, just like the use of the harpoon gun in 'The Dead Pool', it wasnt needed.

'The Enforcer' did have great moments, I'll give it that, but whenever I think about it, I think of the bad moments. And just not getting the same satisfaction out of it as I did with 'Dirty Harry' and 'Magnun Force'.

Maybe oneday, after many viewings, it will grow on me, and I'll come to like it. Who knows?

Heres an idea, add this film to the 'Film Discussion Forum'. I own the film, so it would be easier for me to watch it within the next few weeks and write notes down.

Maybe some stuff discussed there will change my mind?
« Last Edit: March 12, 2003, 09:49:35 PM by Nightwing » Logged
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2003, 10:03:38 PM »

We'll probably discuss the Dirty Harry series in order... and mgk, KC and I have also already started wondering the best way to approach the discussions on these films.  I think we've decided (though we're likely to still change our minds) that we'd like to break them up a little instead of doing them one after the other, because that way if a Dirty Harry fan comes along to the forum when we're done discussing them... he won't have any to look forward to until we recycle the discussions in... TWO YEARS!  :o

Anyway, it might be a while before we get to The Enforcer for that reason, but there's no reason we can't continue to discuss it in this thread, or in other threads while we're waiting.

Back to the discussion...

Another thing I like about The Enforcer is Harry's sadness... (just love to see Harry tortured. ;) )  I think he had really grown to caring deeply for Kate, and she dies in his arms.  She was his partner--he was responsible for her... she saved him--he couldn't save her.  This is heart-breaking.  I like seeing this side of Harry better than the Harry that women-want-but-none-can-have (Carol and Sunny both throw themselves at him) in Magnum Force.   It's just my opinion, but it's the character and character development that I love so much in The Enforcer... better than the story.  And I love Tyne Daly's and Albert Popwell's performances.... just great, great characters.
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

The real me

View Profile Email
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2003, 09:35:42 PM »

I just watched The Enforcer again tonight.

Two words that immediately come to mind are: Marvelous and Swell.

Yeah, everything I've said before about this movie holds up (for me, anyhow). It really is the 2nd or 3rd best Harry movie. I'm leaning towards 2nd right now, but who knows how I could feel about it the next time I watch Magnum Force.
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2003, 09:59:53 PM »

If only the rooftop chase scene was a little shorter...

I agree, it's a great movie.   8)
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

The real me

View Profile Email
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2003, 10:01:37 PM »

If only the rooftop chase scene was a little shorter...
Really? I enjoyed that chase scene. Something about the music in that scene just sounds cool to me.

One thing that struck me odd about that scene, though, was when Kate is running along on the ground, she suddenly comes to this place where she can see Harry chasing that guy on a building across the street. Am I explaining that well enough? I found it odd that they could get all the way on another building. Of course, I could have seen all this the wrong way.
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2003, 03:02:46 AM »

???  I remember them jumping from one building to another at least once.
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

The real me

View Profile Email
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2003, 10:34:47 AM »

I do recall them jumping on some other buildings, but I'm just puzzled. I probably should have added something to this statement:
I found it odd that they could get all the way on another building
on the other side of the street.

It may not be a goof or anything, I'm probably mistaken.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2003, 10:55:02 AM by Christopher » Logged
ajay

man with no name

View Profile Email
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2003, 09:45:33 PM »

i think in both 'enforcer' and 'the dead pool' using the bazooka and harpoon was overdoing a bit. harry has always trusted the magnum and that is what he should stick to,the way he  did in dirty harry and sudden impact.

rowdyyates
davytriumph
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2003, 12:06:54 PM »

I totally agree with you ajay,  those endings were poor.

And was`nt the ending for "magnum force" a little disappointing too??

"Theres three dollars, including the tip"
Hemlock
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2003, 05:46:24 PM »

And was`nt the ending for "magnum force" a little disappointing too??
I remember thinking that way when I first saw it (I was about 11 years old ;D).Today I think it was clever idea to put Harry in the situation where he could not just shoot the bad guys.
The"Man got to know his limitation"line in the end is marvellous.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2006, 01:59:08 PM by Hemlock » Logged
Big Ed Mustafa

We're not just gonna let you walk outta here..

View Profile Email
« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2003, 09:24:56 PM »

Its just, well, Harry didnt seem like the Harry from 'Dirty Harry'. He seemed more loosened up and he was cracking more jokes.

I dont know, maybe its just me.

I felt that way as well, but even more so about the portrayal of Harry in The Dead Pool. It would seem to me that at that age (let's just assume 58, since that was Clint's real age in 1988) that Harry would be more grouchy and fed up with the system then ever. I think the character just wasn't written well for TDP, and could've been done a hell of a lot better. It seems like the writers tried to make Harry more like a Bruce Willis (in the Did Hard films) style hero, especially with the one-liners like, "you're $#!t outta luck" and when he tells Donnely that Rook is "hangin' out back there." Lines like that sound like something Schwarzennegar would say.

You forgot your fortune cookie..
Bronco_Billy

Email
« Reply #34 on: November 25, 2003, 10:10:27 AM »

poor entry in the series frankly , stupid hippy villians.

::)

« Last Edit: December 06, 2003, 04:29:18 AM by Bill W » Logged
skippy

cool

View Profile Email
« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2003, 11:22:45 AM »

the best secene i like is at the end where he's the chief and his partener is  the cop. Opppps thats the Rookie never mind.         :-[
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

His job ..... steal it.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2003, 12:19:08 PM »

For me the whole series gradualy goes downhill after Dirty Harry. Thats not to say that there isn't much to enjoy.. Eastwood always gives an entertaining performance.. I guess as the series preogressed it just bacame harder and harder to come up with original ideas... If I was trying to impress someone I'd show them the first one only.

Magnum Force is a good slick thriller and stands up well today as such. I think The Enforcer has a lot going for it, the humor, Harrys relationship with Tyne Daily's chatacter but on the whole it isn't a great movie.. it just has a handful of good/fun moments. I ernjoy watching it but it falls a long way short of the first two entries in the series in my opinion... As for Sudden Impact.... To be honest I find some of this a little difficult to watch today. All that violence against Locke is not enjoyable and I found the ending a little too contrived. It doesn't really work as a thriller tho' of course there are some nice directorial touches and I like the soundtrack on this one. As for dead Pool.. Nahhhhhhhh best left... ;)

The rooftop chase in The Enforcer may be a tad overlong but it's got a great jazzy soundtrack. On the whole I guess The Enforcer wasn't too bad for a third in the series movie... just not a patch of the first two.

Borderline burnout with questionable social skills
Perry
Member Extraordinaire

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #37 on: December 09, 2003, 04:08:35 PM »

HI:
       I think i might have responded to this sometime ago, but here it goes. I thought they should have quit after Magnum Force. I thought it was a good serquel, but that scece at the end with Harry and David Soul's character on the bikes where all you see is the helmet fall tot e ground and Soul go flying in the river has to be one of the worst directed scenes i ever saw for a big confrontation. the Enforcer was ok, but I thought the movie really lacked a good villian and that scene where tyne Daly is running and Harry is after that guy goes on too  long. Sudden Impact I didnt care for prob because Sondra Locke in anything Clint did ruined any movie he did.As far as The Dead Pool...That was a payback movie for Warners Brothers because they financed Bird. So, all in all Dirty Harry was  stiil, and is the best one of them all..
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« Reply #38 on: April 24, 2005, 04:55:40 AM »

I like The Enforcer,to give Harry a woman partner was pure genius.At the start he doesn't like it one bit,but as the film goes along he gradually accepts her.The look on Harry's face when he sees that Kate is his new partner is a classic.The chemistry between the two was great.
I don't mind the end to The Enforcer,I think a bullet wasn't enough for Harry to kill Bobby Maxwell.Bobby had killed Digiorgio and when Kate died in Harry's arms you can see the anger in Harry's face.When Kate says to Harry just before she dies to get him(Bobby)Harry says you can count on it,you know it's going to be a little different from the first two movies.
One thing that I noticed today for the first time was the scene where Harry is talking to Big Ed Mustapha and Harry says that if you don't help me I'll tell everyone you're an EAR.I always thought he said queer,but with the DVD subtitles it's definitely EAR.I never heard this expression before,what's it mean?

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #39 on: April 24, 2005, 08:11:24 AM »

I assume "ear" is cant for one who reveals secrets of the underworld to the police, i.e. rats on his fellow crooks.

Thanks, tgy, for reviving all these oldies but goodies!  8)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T