News: THE MULE, directed by and starring Clint Eastwood: now on disc and streaming!

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Help Please!  (Read 3820 times)
Mr C

en superhjälte för dig!

View Profile Email
« on: March 05, 2003, 12:03:07 AM »

Hallo everybody!
I need help in a question. Does Harry arrest a girl/lady in any of the films, using his words "most powerful handgun" and "do you feel lucky". I think the girl asks what she is wanted for and she also thinks that the gun isn't loaded.
Does this exist in any of the Harry films? Or maybe he uses it in another movie?

Please reply!
Brendan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2003, 12:07:05 AM »

The 'most powerful hand gun' line was used in 'Dirty Harry' (1971) when Harry interupts a bank robbery. He says it to a man lying on the ground. Its also used in the opening of 'Magnum Force' (1973) the second Harry movie.

'Go ahead, make my day" was used in 'Sudden Impact' (1983) when Harry foils a coffee store hold up. The man he says it too is holding a lady hostage, and thats why Harry says the famous line.

And welcome to the board Mr. C. 8)
« Last Edit: March 05, 2003, 12:07:36 AM by Nightwing » Logged
Mr C

en superhjälte för dig!

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2003, 12:21:40 AM »

Thanks for helping out!
But this time he should say it to a lady. Why i wonder is because its in a contest on the Radio here in Sweden. They read it out loud from a script, translated into Swedish.
Maybe Im way off! Maybe another movie borrow these classic words in a comedy ala "Naked Gun".
Who knows?
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2003, 01:46:28 AM »

Hi, Mr. C. You'll find the full "most powerful handgun ... Do I feel lucky" speeches on the Audio Clips page of this site. There were two versions in the original Dirty Harry (Don Siegel, 1971). The first time, the person addressed was a wounded bank robber, who had reached for a shotgun. Here's the transcription:
Uh-uh, I know what you're thinking. Did he fire six shots or only five? Well to tell you the truth in all this excitement I've kinda lost track myself. But being this is a .44 Magnum—the most powerful handgun in the world—and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

The second time, the person being addressed was the killer whom Harry had been hunting throughout the film, and he had reached for his handgun.
Uh-uh, I know what you're thinking, punk. You're thinking did he fire six shots or only five? And to tell you the truth I've forgotten myself in all this excitement. But being this is a .44 Magnum—the most powerful hand gun in the world—and will blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself a question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk??!!

As Nightwing notes, the speech is also reprised in an abbreviated form in the opening credits sequence of Magnum Force (Ted Post, 1973), the first Dirty Harry sequel. Here, it's addressed to the audience.

I think you're probably correct that you're looking for a parody of some sort, not the original quotes. However, I'm afraid I can't help you with the answer. There is a long list of films that "spoof" Dirty Harry in the IMDb, but I haven't seen most of them. The original Naked Gun does parody Dirty Harry in part, but I can't recall that it spoofs this particular speech.

Sorry I can't be of more help. To satisfy my curiosity, though ... could you post the Swedish here?
Mr C

en superhjälte för dig!

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2003, 02:54:23 AM »

In swedish it sounds like this.

Lady; Vad är jag efterlyst för? (What I'm wanted for?)
Man: Jag svarar inte på några frågor, jag ställer dem. (I don't answer questions, I ask them)
Lady: Jag tror inte den pistolen är laddad. (I dont't think that gun is loaded)
Man: Detta är en Magnum .44, den mest kraftfulla pistolen i världen, så måste du fråga dig själv om du känner dig tursam. (But being this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, you've got to ask yourself one question: do I feel lucky?)
Lady: Jag tror ändå inte att pistolen är laddad. (I still don't think its loaded)

Hey, maybe it's from a comedy and this is a bedroomscene. ;D
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2003, 10:51:09 AM »

Yup, I would say that's what it sounds like.  ;)

It's definitely not from an Eastwood movie. Perhaps one of our contemporary movie experts will recognize the exchange.
MikeyJ86

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2003, 08:11:02 PM »

I'm not sure if I'm too late, but that quote is from the movie 48 Hours with Eddie Murphy and Nick Nolte!
Mr C

en superhjälte för dig!

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2003, 02:58:14 AM »

Great work MikeyJ86! Its correct. But I'm afraid the contest is over. Some dude called in the rigt answer.

I would like to thank everybody for all the help here!

See Ya!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T