News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Restored GBU news  (Read 14488 times)
Clyde

View Profile Email
« on: March 06, 2003, 08:44:15 AM »

I just came across this news that GBU will be restored
and re-released in select cities.
Even more amazing - Clint and Eli Wallach have done
dubbing sessions for lost footage.
I hope this is not a hoax. I found info at:
www.dvdtalk.com
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2003, 09:56:28 AM »

Thanks, Clyde! This is exciting news indeed, and I believe the DVD Savant to be a reliable source.

Here's a link to the full story:
http://www.dvdtalk.com/dvdsavant/s745GBU.html

I think this is so important that I'm going to post it here, as well:

The 2003 Film Restoration of THE Good, THE Bad AND THE Ugly
Hollywood, March 5, 2003

This article is sort of an extended announcement, about a film restoration that first proposed in 1997, that has finally come to pass.

The January 1998 MGM DVD of The Good, the Bad and the Ugly had an important extra on board, approximately 16 minutes of scenes new to the United States, that had been part of the 180-minute Rome premiere cut of the film from 1966. Savant wrote about them in an early article.

Since then, Sergio Leone fans have been talking about the missing scenes, asking why they couldn't be reinstated in the film. Only the earlier 162 minute cut was ever dubbed into English. The plan to re-record Clint Eastwood and Eli Wallach's new dialogue was approved in theory almost from the beginning - but the project had never been able to attract the needed restoration budget.

AMC, the American Movie Channel, stepped in this year with the several hundred thousand dollars needed to do the job. Archivist John Kirk of MGM Technical Services oversaw the restoration. It was more complicated than just remixing the film with a few new looped lines of dialogue.

The Cineteca Nazionale in Italy did the bulk of the restoration by providing a good negative of the longest Italian cut, which is still a couple of minutes short of the original 3 hours. It was the source for the Italian-language-only scenes on the previous DVD.

In two separate sessions, John Kirk recorded the missing dialogue lines with Eastwood and Wallach. Several lines were also needed for the late Lee Van Cleef. A voiceover artist named Simon Prescott provided the growling voice for Angel Eyes (or Setenza, if you will).

The surprise for fans will be yet more footage, which the Italians located separately and was reportedly part of the original Rome premiere version. John Kirk has re-integrated the legendary Grotto scene into this new restoration. About halfway through the movie, three outlaws attempt to shoot Joe (the Eastwood character), with a predictable lack of success. The Grotto scene explains where the desperados came from. It's a very humorous passage for Eli Wallach's Tuco, showing a little more depth to his character as he bilks the three would-be hit men.

In the interest of clarity, there are two items that couldn't be included in this restoration. When Angel Eyes has Tuco beaten in the prison, about a minute's worth of Eli Wallach being pummelled, intercut with shots of the prisoner's chorus singing outside, were cut from the film soon after its first release. No good picture materials have been found for it. John recorded the necessary dialogue, and would have liked to restore the scene, as the American re-cut mangles the Ennio Morricone 'Ballad of a Soldier' song. But, not this time.

Real Leone detail-types still ask about two more scenes that show up in stills. In one, Tuco raises money by pretending to collect for charity from the citizens of a small town. A couple of stills exist showing Wallach standing on a wooden platform and making a speech. The scene was probably shot, but wasn't finished or mixed in any version of the film.

The second mystery is in the original still keyset, which shows Eastwood kissing a woman in a bed, a setup that does not appear in the film at all. It may have been a posed publicity still, but more likely than not there was such a scene shot, that also no longer exists.  1

Neither of these scenes are part of this restoration, of course.

John Kirk has made new 35mm prints, remixed in stereo 5.1 by Intersound. Triage, a top restoration house, handled the final film work, replacing the Italian titles with the American version, etc.

So, Where's this going to be Shown?

Before its repremiere on AMC, the restoration will be screened twice in New York. The Tribeca Film Festival will have it on May 7, and then it will play at the Film Forum on May 30. It will probably only play in major cities - in Los Angeles the Nuart will have it for a week starting June 20.

AMC will premiere the restoration uncut and without commercials (the first broadcast only) on May 10, which will be the big opportunity for most of us to see it. The only reason it's being given special treatment is because of an AMC film restoration promotion; it will show again several times, but with the cable channel's usual station breaks.

Now what about a DVD?

No DVD of the new restoration is in the works as yet. A special edition was planned in 2001 but cancelled. Savant would guess that if one came out, it would be 2004 at the earliest.

So, it's been a long time waiting to make this announcement. I'm curious to hear the new mix, and to see the Grotto scene, which I've only viewed pan-scanned on a fuzzy vhs tape. I'm also curious to hear how Clint and Eli sound, as nobody's voice stays the same for 36 years ... I'm told that they work out quite well. I hope this news will make Sergio Leone fans happy.

Glenn Erickson - March 5, 2003

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Some authoritative information from Ulrich Angersbach, 3/6/03:

Hello Glenn, With surprise I read your article concerning the GBU 2003 restoration. Great news. Please allow some corrections from my side.

The 2 scenes you mentioned (Tuco standing on a wooden platform & Eastwood in bed with a woman) belong to one scenario - the lSOCORRO sequence.

The actress in bed with Eastwood is Silvana Bacci, now 56 years old and living in Rome. A friend of mine visted her recently for an interview. She confirmed that filming with Sergio Leone took place at Elios Studios, Rome and in the vicinity of Almeria, Spain.

The scene was completely filmed and edited - but it was decided not to include it in the movie - eventually because the film was too long. I got in contact with Alberto Grimaldi about the remains of it; he send me a letter pointing out that the scene was lost - most likely stolen.

The last thing I would like to say is that the premiere version of the film (December 1966 in Rome) had a length of 177 minutes and 43 seconds. Hence the now rereleased print is approx. the same as the one shown in Rome 36 years ago.

Maybe you can agree modifying your Savant statement concerning the a.m. items. Enclosed as well an unknown shot given from Silvana Bacci.

Best regards from Frankfurt - Ulrich Angersbach 3/6/03
(Emphasis added ...)

So, who's coming to New York in May to see this with me? ;)

« Last Edit: March 06, 2003, 10:40:12 AM by KC » Logged
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2003, 03:01:33 PM »

The schedule for the Tribeca Film Festival hasn't yet been announced, but here's a link to their website:

Tribeca Film Festival

According to the site, the schedule will be up on or about April 7 and tickets go on sale to the public on or about April 27 (don't know why so late).

This is the second annual Tribeca Film Festival. It was established last year by Jane Rosenthal and Robert De Niro, in part "to celebrate New York City as a major filmmaking center and to contribute to the long-term recovery of lower Manhattan" after 9/11/01.
Brendan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2003, 05:26:08 PM »

Yippie. Yet another DVD that I have to replace becuase a special edition comes out. ::)

Ah well, at least its for a good cause.
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

The real me

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2003, 05:30:41 PM »

But this DVD will be different, since it will be the restored version. I would only try to get the DVD if I felt the new footage added something to the movie.
Hemlock
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2003, 08:47:25 AM »

Yippie. Yet another DVD that I have to replace becuase a special edition comes out. ::)
My thought exactly.I bought my GBU-DVD only five days ago.
Anyway I`m glad this restoration was not just a rumour. ;D
ajay

man with no name

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2003, 08:46:01 PM »

this  is is great news about the gbu dvd. but i read that the dubbing was done by clint and eli wallach, now i believe Mr wallach would be a really an old man , would you really  get   that same effect what you got in 1966.but i am sure the new footage is worth a watch.

rowdyyates
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2003, 01:03:41 AM »

I was thinking along the same lines as ajay, that Eastwood's voice sounds SO different now than it did in 1966 that it's hard to imagine that the newly dubbed scenes would really "work" or "fit in" with the film.   But... I'm still excited about seeing these scenes, and I"m looking forward to watching it on AMC on May 10th

*marking calendar... May 10th... stay in... stay off the 'Net... watch GBU on AMC!*  ;D

PS, KC... if ever there was a good reason to go to NYC, this would be it....

KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2003, 01:47:28 AM »

PS, KC... if ever there was a good reason to go to NYC, this would be it....
C'mon up! We can have that Eastwood-fest we've been talking about!  ;D

It happened once before ... A few years back, when the American Museum of the Moving Image did a Leone cycle in Queens, NYC, at least four of the regulars from the old Board made it to one or more of the screenings, and we all got to meet each other. It was great fun and I wish things like that could happen more often.
Doug
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

"May I make a suggestion..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2003, 12:45:21 AM »

I'd have to fly in from Las Vegas but it'd certainly be worth it.  If I could swing it.  And what would be better than topping it off with a bunch of Clint movies on KC's 50+ inch mega TV... ;D

"Yes, well, when I see five weirdos dressed in togas stabbing a guy in the middle of a park in full view of a hundred people, I shoot the bastards, that's my policy."  Frank Drebin, Police Squad.
philo
Member Extraordinaire

"Slightly advanced"

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2003, 06:37:11 PM »

If things are less stressful for me by then I could be there .
If not I will be trying for the LA screening , so anyone that side of the USA  I would love to meet up with .

Philo .

"I won't be hitting you with my face"
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2003, 01:01:32 AM »

New York's Film Forum is now advertising the upcoming screenings on its website:
http://www.filmforum.com/films/goodbadugly.html

Here's the blurb:

(1967) “If you’re gonna shoot, shoot! Don’t talk.”
THE BAD — Lee Van Cleef’s icy bounty hunter eschews the “. . . or Alive” clause, while fulfilling contracts from both sides against each other — THE UGLY — Mexican bandito Eli Wallach enters crashing through a plate-glass window amid a fusillade of bullets, with pistol in one hand and a chicken leg in the other — and THE GOOD — con man Clint Eastwood’s favorite scam is shooting the noose off the hapless partner he’s just turned in for the reward — battle each other and Civil War armies in their relentless search for buried gold. Leone’s epic Western conjures up opera, horse opera, the bullfight arena, and the blackest of black humor via riveting story-telling in the picaresque tradition: Wallach, in the role of a lifetime, riding through the desert beneath a pink parasol; the Confederate uniforms that, sans dust, turn Union; the escape from a moving train while handcuffed to a gigantic guard; the gun sale that turns into a stick-up; the Civil War battle at the bridge that, while transposing Virginia trench warfare to the New Mexico campaign, still seems wrung directly from Matthew Brady; and the gigantic close-up packed final showdown. And of course — Hwah, WAH, Wah — perhaps Ennio Morricone’s greatest score, with Wallach’s run through the graveyard a memorable tour de force coupling of music and image.

MGM’s John Kirk has taken the recent Italian restoration, which includes more than 15 minutes not in the already-classic U.S. release version, and has brought Eastwood and Wallach back to the sound studios to dub previously unrecorded dialogue from the Italian sequences. This fulllength cut also refurbishes cameraman Tonino delli Colli’s eye-stretching widescreen color vistas and features a newly-remixed 5.1 Dolby Digital soundtrack.

D'Ambrosia
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2003, 09:07:39 PM »

Very interesting.  That is really cool.  I'm happy that it's going to be able to be viewed as it was once intended to be.
EwFan62

Bill

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2003, 06:42:16 PM »

Not to dampen anyones enthusiasm, because I'm just as pleased as everyone else but we may need to take it a little slowly as far as a new "GBU" DVD goes. According to DVD Savant, they only state that they would "guess" that a DVD would be made available in 2004. There is nothing set in stone yet and it could happen, but I'm going to take the wait and see appraoch to avoid any disappointment. :)

Secondly, regarding AMC's airing of this restored version on May 10th. There is no mention in the DVD Savant piece or anywhere else for that matter that would indicate that AMC is going to air the film in widescreen. Yes, they will air the complete cut and with no commercials(for the first airing only) but there is nothing that states it will be a letterboxed presentation and based on AMC's practice, they show ALMOST EVERYTHING pan and scan, unlike TCM or FMC. Also, when you go to their online programming guide, they have an icon which resembles a widescreen picture with the black bars that is used to indicate a letterboxed presentation. They put this icon next to the film when it is showing in widescreen. Unfortunately, this icon is NOT next to "GBU", nor is it next to their airings of "High Plains Drifter" or "Joe Kidd". At least, I didn't see it.

I don't know about you guys, but "GBU" is very difficult to watch in pan and scan. So much info is lost. The film aired this past Saturday night on TNT and it ran in fullscreen and was quite difficult to watch.

Gunman: "You look just like a scarecrow."      Sartana: "I am your pallbearer." - ...IF YOU MEET SARTANA, PRAY FOR YOUR DEATH
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

The real me

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2003, 02:56:15 PM »

EwFan62 has a point there. I just read this over on the Sergio Leone web board posted by a guy who has supervised the restorations:
I have heard that there are currently no plans to release the extended English version of "The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly" on DVD. Therefore, you should tape it off AMC on May 10th and/or see it in a cinema...

HERE is a link to that thread just so you know where I got it from. This quote is a little ways down on the page.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2003, 03:01:15 PM by Christopher » Logged
EwFan62

Bill

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2003, 04:12:53 PM »

Just remember to also be careful about taping it off AMC. There is no mention, to the best of my knowledge, that they are showing the film in widescreen. I hope they do, but with them(AMC) you never know. Even if it is pan and scan, it still might be worth it just to see the restoration and additional scenes but full frame really does ruin a film like "GBU".

Gunman: "You look just like a scarecrow."      Sartana: "I am your pallbearer." - ...IF YOU MEET SARTANA, PRAY FOR YOUR DEATH
Doug
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

"May I make a suggestion..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2003, 09:29:39 PM »

Just remember to also be careful about taping it off AMC. There is no mention, to the best of my knowledge, that they are showing the film in widescreen. I hope they do, but with them(AMC) you never know. Even if it is pan and scan, it still might be worth it just to see the restoration and additional scenes but full frame really does ruin a film like "GBU".

I would think at least the first viewing on AMC will be in wide screen.

the quote from the article:
AMC will premiere the restoration uncut and without commercials (the first broadcast only) on May 10, which will be the big opportunity for most of us to see it. The only reason it's being given special treatment is because of an AMC film restoration promotion; it will show again several times, but with the cable channel's usual station breaks.

No commercials, all the hype ... they'll surely present it properly....

"Yes, well, when I see five weirdos dressed in togas stabbing a guy in the middle of a park in full view of a hundred people, I shoot the bastards, that's my policy."  Frank Drebin, Police Squad.
EwFan62

Bill

View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2003, 09:58:33 PM »

I would think at least the first viewing on AMC will be in wide screen.

the quote from the article:

No commercials, all the hype ... they'll surely present it properly....

I hope so. However, based on their current practice, I'll believe it when I see it and trust me, I'm the most optimistic person I know. :)

gwb

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2003, 06:55:34 AM »

Well - here is AMC's link - and it not only shows that it will NOT be widescreen, but that there will be a mini-Eastwood fest that day:

http://www.amctv.com/guide/0,,10-4-2003-D--N-EST,00.html

11:15 AM/EST The Eiger Sanction Color 128 min        

1:40 PM/EST Firefox Color 124 min        

4:05 PM/EST High Plains Drifter Color 106 min        

6:05 PM/EST Joe Kidd Color 88 min        

8:00 PM/EST The Good, the Bad and the Ugly Color 161 min        

11:00 PM/EST High Plains Drifter Color 106 min        
« Last Edit: April 11, 2003, 06:56:48 AM by gwb » Logged
EwFan62

Bill

View Profile Email
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2003, 07:39:12 AM »

Well - here is AMC's link - and it not only shows that it will NOT be widescreen

It's certainly too bad and a shame but I can't say it's surprising. :(

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T