News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Favourite Harry movie?  (Read 38173 times)
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

The real me

View Profile Email
« Reply #120 on: April 09, 2014, 12:26:54 PM »

I've been noticing my Dirty Harry collection sitting on my DVD shelf and thinking it's almost time to watch all five again. I haven't seen them in a while but wouldn't expect my opinions about my favorite ones to change. Anybody watch them from time to time, either over the course of a few weeks or a few days?
Hemlock
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #121 on: April 09, 2014, 06:34:26 PM »

Have not done that for ages.My last Dirty Harry film that I watched was the first one(with my nephew as it was high time of him to learn the greatness of that film).That one  I tend to watch slightly more regular bases than the others.Still there could be couple of years between the viewings.
The Man With No Aim
Member Extraordinaire

"There are two kinds of men in this world"

View Profile Email
« Reply #122 on: April 10, 2014, 03:16:01 AM »

I've been noticing my Dirty Harry collection sitting on my DVD shelf and thinking it's almost time to watch all five again. I haven't seen them in a while but wouldn't expect my opinions about my favorite ones to change. Anybody watch them from time to time, either over the course of a few weeks or a few days?

As  coincidence, I have been thinking about watching Dirty Harry, Magnum  Force and Sudden Impact in the same day or back to back days sometime soon to once again appraise the progression of the Harry character development as the person Harry would have matured and developed in real life.

"In all the excitement I lost count myself'
Rawhide7
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #123 on: April 15, 2014, 04:12:40 PM »

I watch all five of the Dirty Harry movies every yr in the month of September.  And I usually watch the first three one day and the last two the very next day.  Some yrs I do stay in all day on one of my days off and watch all five of them in one day and I eat pizza, ice cream, soda, etc.  It's a lot of fun doing that no stress or distractions just stay in all day watching my favorite actor in one of my favorite movie series and eating a bunch of unhealthy foods.  Oh life is good on those days!!!!   
_Clintan_

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #124 on: April 24, 2014, 10:20:12 AM »

I watch all five of the Dirty Harry movies every yr in the month of September.  And I usually watch the first three one day and the last two the very next day.  Some yrs I do stay in all day on one of my days off and watch all five of them in one day and I eat pizza, ice cream, soda, etc.  It's a lot of fun doing that no stress or distractions just stay in all day watching my favorite actor in one of my favorite movie series and eating a bunch of unhealthy foods.  Oh life is good on those days!!!!   

I'm thinking of doing the exact same thing sometime next month when I have more time to do so. I've never watched all of them in one day, and I enjoy watching every movie in a series every now and then (my record is watching all Friday the 13th movies in one day!) so it's about time Harry Callahan gets the honor. I'll try get my wife to join me as she likes Clint a great deal.

Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

The real me

View Profile Email
« Reply #125 on: April 26, 2014, 08:42:46 AM »

I watched the four sequels this week, in fact three of them yesterday. I decided not to watch the first one at this time because I've seen it soooo many times, and I've been watching some other stuff I haven't seen before. I've seen Magnum Force quite a few times too, but felt like starting with that one. It's still a toss-up for me about which sequel is my favorite between Magnum Force and The Enforcer. The latter's ending is emotional and tends to make me lean a little towards it.

Sondra Locke's performance really stood out to me with this viewing of Sudden Impact. I think she did a really nice job here. And The Dead Pool is still a lot of fun to see. Liam Neeson is good in his supporting role as Peter Swan. And Jim Carrey's role is very small, but he's really good in it as well. Something that stood out to me about the ending of the movie is the reference to the villain, who is carrying Harry's gun, being out of bullets. That really felt like they brought the series to an end since it references back to the original movie.
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #126 on: April 26, 2014, 02:41:12 PM »

I watched the four sequels this week, in fact three of them yesterday. I decided not to watch the first one at this time because I've seen it soooo many times, and I've been watching some other stuff I haven't seen before. I've seen Magnum Force quite a few times too, but felt like starting with that one. It's still a toss-up for me about which sequel is my favorite between Magnum Force and The Enforcer. The latter's ending is emotional and tends to make me lean a little towards it.

I find this comment interesting, since I too saw "The Enforcer" again recently and had totally the opposite reaction. I felt like "The Enforcer" really didn't hold up well at all, and it had one of the weakest stories and casts of all of the Harry movies. With the exception of Tyne Daly's performance, I found the movie to be pretty weak. "Magnum Force," on the other hand, I felt had a pretty strong story, a good cast, and a thematically much richer foundation. In many ways, it is a direct retort of the critiques of the first film as fascist while "The Enforcer" had very weak villains and a subplot concerning anarchists that really was never developed. I can't imagine why someone would prefer "The Enforcer" to "Magnum Force." What was it about "The Enforcer" that stood out to you when comparing the two?
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

The real me

View Profile Email
« Reply #127 on: April 27, 2014, 01:51:06 PM »

Like I mentioned, I like both Magnum Force and The Enforcer a lot. It's a bit of a toss-up as to which I like better. I really like Tyne Daly's character in The Enforcer and the whole thing with the police department wanting to promote her and give her and Harry credit for making the arrest that they had nothing to do with. I also mentioned before that the ending is emotional. Harry and Kate have spent the film developing a relationship, and at the end of the movie, instead of walking off by himself, Harry walks back to her body and stands over it as the credits roll. That ending sticks with me.
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #128 on: April 28, 2014, 08:53:30 AM »

Like I mentioned, I like both Magnum Force and The Enforcer a lot. It's a bit of a toss-up as to which I like better. I really like Tyne Daly's character in The Enforcer and the whole thing with the police department wanting to promote her and give her and Harry credit for making the arrest that they had nothing to do with. I also mentioned before that the ending is emotional. Harry and Kate have spent the film developing a relationship, and at the end of the movie, instead of walking off by himself, Harry walks back to her body and stands over it as the credits roll. That ending sticks with me.

It sounds like you liked both but felt "The Enforcer" was more emotionally resonant for you. I'd agree that the relationship between Tyne Daly and Harry is good, and Tyne Daly is a perfect costar for Eastwood. To me though the story for "The Enforcer" was the weakest in the Harry series, and the relationship between the two principal characters wasn't enough for me to overcome those weaknesses.
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

The real me

View Profile Email
« Reply #129 on: April 28, 2014, 11:55:55 AM »

It sounds like you liked both but felt "The Enforcer" was more emotionally resonant for you. I'd agree that the relationship between Tyne Daly and Harry is good, and Tyne Daly is a perfect costar for Eastwood.
Yeah, that's a good way of putting it.

To me though the story for "The Enforcer" was the weakest in the Harry series, and the relationship between the two principal characters wasn't enough for me to overcome those weaknesses.
That's interesting. So is The Enforcer at the bottom of your list for Dirty Harry movies? I like both Sudden Impact and The Dead Pool quite a bit, but just feel like those two aren't as good as the others in the series.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 01:56:15 PM by Christopher » Logged
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #130 on: April 28, 2014, 01:58:28 PM »

Yeah, that's a good way of putting it.
That's interesting. So does The Enforcer is the bottom of your list for Dirty Harry movies? I like both Sudden Impact and The Dead Pool quite a bit, but just feel like those two aren't as good as the others in the series.

I haven't seen all of the Harry movies in awhile, and I think I'd need to see all of them in sequential order one after another to be able to judge which was the weakest film.

While I agree with you that the relationship between Harry and Kate's character is a strong point, I do think that "The Enforcer" has the weakest story of the series. Some might point to "The Dead Pool" as the weakest. However, I thought "The Dead Pool" had an interesting story. It was, in my opinion, just executed very poorly. The idea of having celebrities be on a kill list and have Harry be on the list was an interesting idea, but the villain was very weak, so the promise of the story wasn't realized.

I think "Sudden Impact" had a strong story, but I think it's a bit too dark in tone when compared to the other films, and I don't like Sondra Locke as an actress."Dirty Harry" and "Magnum Force" both have very strong stories and pretty strong villains, so I would say they are the strongest in the series. 

With "The Enforcer," I wish that Tyne Daly and Clint Eastwood had a stronger story to work with. They could have made an interesting story with anti-war, anarchist characters, but they didn't. The villains were the weakest in the series. They had little to no character development, and there really never was a well developed story. The anarchists are just out there committing crimes, but the actors who portrayed the villains were very one-dimensional, and it was never really explained what their motivation was, what their goals were, or why they were doing what they were doing.
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

The real me

View Profile Email
« Reply #131 on: April 28, 2014, 02:07:54 PM »

With "The Enforcer," I wish that Tyne Daly and Clint Eastwood had a stronger story to work with. They could have made an interesting story with anti-war, anarchist characters, but they didn't. The villains were the weakest in the series. They had little to no character development, and there really never was a well developed story. The anarchists are just out there committing crimes, but the actors who portrayed the villains were very one-dimensional, and it was never really explained what their motivation was, what their goals were, or why they were doing what they were doing.
I do remember it being mentioned that some of the people were probably only involved with the group for the money.

As for the villain in The Dead Pool--he was pretty much not present for most of the film, but I think that's because they were trying to make you think Peter Swan (Liam Neeson) was the killer.

Yeah, I think there is something pretty dark about Sudden Impact. And like I said, I think Locke did a great job in this one. This and The Gauntlet may be her best roles.

If you're thinking of quality villains, Dirty Harry and Magnum Force definitely have the best villains of the whole series.

A friend of mine has only seen Dirty Harry and maybe Magnum Force, and liked both movies. I'm going to let him borrow the other sequels, so I'm curious to see what he thinks of them once he's finished.
JLNeibaur

View Profile Email
« Reply #132 on: May 13, 2014, 10:22:59 AM »

Naturally I like the original DIRTY HARRY best.

But here is where I go way out on a limb.

I think SUDDEN IMPACT is the only other worthwhile one!

I find MAGNUM FORCE disjointed and unsure of itself.  I find THE ENFORCER too comical and lighthearted.  They are not "bad movies," but I find them disappointing followups to one of the best and most iconic films of its time.

I like how Eastwood approached SUDDEN IMPACT as a director by showing how a romantic pursuit and a criminal pursuit had similarities.  How Harry's scenes were colorful and bright, and the scenes with Locke were dark in the noir tradition.   I thought he examined the nature of the character more successfully than the previous two movies.  Even the theme of criminal vigilantism vs. lawful vigilantism is better explored than it had been in MAGNUM FORCE.

DEAD POOL was a bit too silly, but its faults are the same I give to ENFORCER.

I realize my opinion won't be too popular, but that's what I come away with. 

Jim
sten

View Profile Email
« Reply #133 on: September 10, 2016, 06:36:24 PM »

okay, the first one is obviously the best... bc of those sweater vest #Looks and for other various reasons

my overall rankings (best to worst)

dirty harry
magnum force
sudden impact
the enforcer
the dead pool
Kinski

View Profile Email
« Reply #134 on: October 09, 2016, 07:00:44 AM »

Hello

My favourite Harry movie is "Magnum Force". I like the work of Ted Post and the brief scene with Clint and Mitchell Ryan is one of my favourite  Eastwood scenes.

And I like "The Enforcer". The cinematography is great and I always wonder why Charles W. Short did not work on more Malpaso movies.

Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

The real me

View Profile Email
« Reply #135 on: October 10, 2016, 08:24:04 AM »

A friend of mine has only seen Dirty Harry and maybe Magnum Force, and liked both movies. I'm going to let him borrow the other sequels, so I'm curious to see what he thinks of them once he's finished.
Oh, I did loan that friend my Dirty Harry set and he watched the rest. I think he liked them all but did say they weren't as good as the series went on.
Aline

View Profile Email
« Reply #136 on: October 11, 2016, 07:41:55 AM »

My favorites

Dirty Harry
The Enforcer
Magnum Force

And yes, The Dead Pool. It came out in a good time of my life.

Less favorite

Sudden Impact

I used to have the five stars
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T