News: See SULLY, starring Tom Hanks, now streaming and on DVD and Blu-ray!

« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Favourite Harry movie?  (Read 38903 times)
HGH

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #40 on: October 16, 2004, 03:47:18 PM »

It is my opinion that the concept of vigilante cops (sort of a death squad) was the most interesting and provocative of the considered "Dirty Harry" films.   Sudden Impact in the 1st or 2nd slot on the list???  Come On!!  It's like being hit in the head once a day, everyday.   I really enjoyed "The Enforcer" but it would have been great to have someone other than Tyne Daly as his partner, though, I must admit she did a good job based on the role she played.  
I remember not being able to see the original "Dirty Harry"  in '71 at the theatre because you had to be 17 and because of the "violent" content.   Jeez, these days it's school's out and anything goes.  Anyway, hope I didn't offend anyone with the "hit in the head" remark.  
B.C.
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #41 on: November 01, 2004, 04:13:02 PM »

Hasn't this been discussed before?

Doesn't matter, my fave is still the first; Dirty Harry.  I'm pretty sure it was the first one I saw and the "Six shots or only five" speech got me hooked.  Here's my order:

Dirty Harry
The Enforcer
Magnum Force/Sudden Impact
The Dead Pool

If I had to choose, it may be MF over SI.  It's close because I prefer 'classic' Harry to SI & TDP.  SI is so comical, though ;D
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #42 on: November 01, 2004, 04:59:32 PM »

Hasn't this been discussed before?

This thread is almost as old as this board... it was just recently revived.

My placement of the Harry films is exactly the same as yours, Jed.  I'd put Sudden Impact after Magnum Force.
Brendan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #43 on: November 01, 2004, 05:06:16 PM »

This thread is almost as old as this board... it was just recently revived.

Yes it is and here's the post that started it all:

Im curious to know what everyones favourite Dirty Harry movie is.

Mine is the original, Dirty Harry.

I feel as though we didnt need any sequels, but with Hollywood of course you do.

Now Im not saying the sequels werent good, some were, but we saw who HArry was and what he was all about in the first one. So why did we actually need sequels? And why did we need The Dead Pool? There was no need for it. IT wasnt even a good send off to the Harry character. ::)

Oh well, here goes my order for favourite Harry movies:

1. Dirty Harry
2. Magnum Force
3. Sudden Impact
4. The Enforcer
5. The Dead Pool (which there was no need for!!)

Ah yes... back in the day when I didn't use apostrophes.  ;D Now I would move The Enforicer above Sudden Impact... but that doesn't mean I like it.
B.C.
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #44 on: November 02, 2004, 06:46:18 AM »

Thanks Matt and Brendan.  I noticed I hadn't posted any response here and thought this was a "new" thread; didn't check the dates.  I think I did post something similar before, though.  

"Maybe you didn't"

Ok, maybe I didn't.   Hey...someone's trying the Jedi-mind trick on me!

;D
GBU

Name's Ash. Housewares.

View Profile Email
« Reply #45 on: November 02, 2004, 08:27:41 AM »

Dirty Harry and Magnum Force tie for first. The others are just there. Don't really care about them.

You just gotta keep livin' man, L-I-V-I-N.
~ Dazed and Confused
Perry
Member Extraordinaire

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #46 on: November 05, 2004, 10:30:27 AM »

Like i said, they should have quit after Mag Force. The movies got worse and thinner.

« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 03:07:35 PM by Perry » Logged
vik
Member Extraordinaire

flags of our fathers

View Profile Email
« Reply #47 on: November 05, 2004, 12:22:37 PM »

nah  - sudden impact was good

england -  its flag the St George flag
B.C.
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #48 on: November 06, 2004, 05:58:01 AM »

If I had to pick just 2 they would be Dirty Harry and The Enforcer because I think they're above and beyond the best of the lot.  Magnum Force and Sudden Impact are shadows and The Dead Pool is a travesty... "the single-most outrageous act of transgression I ever heard about."

« Last Edit: November 06, 2004, 06:21:01 AM by Jed Cooper » Logged
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #49 on: November 06, 2004, 08:06:24 AM »

I agree with you, Jed. But, isn't it surprising that while some of us rate The Enforcer so high, there are others who have it last or next-to-last on their list?

I know that Bobby Maxwell and his group are pretty pathetic villains, but even they're better than the ones in Sudden Impact and The Dead Pool. Comparing The Enforcer to Magnum Force, Kate is a much more interesting partner than Early and he humor in The Enforcer is probably the best of the lot. It's still "classic" Harry, and Eastwood gives a much better performance that in Sudden Impact or The Dead Pool (I agree with whoever said that he looks bored in that one.)

So, those of you who don't like it... what's wrong with The Enforcer?  ???
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #50 on: November 06, 2004, 12:05:12 PM »

So, those of you who don't like it... what's wrong with The Enforcer?  ???

Brendan, I'm looking at you. Can you give any other reason you don't like it than the Laws Rocket thing from the last scene?

Of course I want to hear from anyone else who doesn't really like it, or rates it low on the DH list too.
Brendan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #51 on: November 06, 2004, 06:39:06 PM »

Geeze, I already made a topic about my dislike for The Enforcer. It's been awhile since I've seen it but I just don't like the Harry movies post-Magnum Force.
Sean

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #52 on: November 07, 2004, 03:41:57 AM »

Dirty harry
Magnum force
Sudden impact
The enforcer
The dead pool

i like the enforcer but the villains aren`t quite up to much and it lacks the grittiness (is that a word?)
of the previous 2!!.....as for the dead pool? well to start with as much as i think liam neeson is a great actor in this his performance is pathetic and just gives the film a cheesy feel!!,and also i don`t think a mystery killer works in a harry film,we should get to know them and hate them from the beginning so its more pleasurable when they get blown away at the end!.

just an opinion :D

"why don`t you let me meet with the son of a b*[email protected]"
B.C.
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #53 on: November 07, 2004, 05:56:56 AM »

Very interesting, Brendan & Sean.  It's always interesting to hear other's opinions and compare.  I have to admit to being surprised there are those who actually like Magnum Force over The Enforcer... I've only encountered that once before ("What is this, some kind of encounter group?!")***

Well, it's the last 2 entries that don't live up the the 1st three.  Sure, SI has a lot of good elements to it including comedy, but it's still a comic-book version... in TDP Clint looks like The Mummy!

***I just re-read my post and realized I possibly came across negatively, which is not my intention, so... no offense!  It's just that I like DH the best and to be honest, MF was disappointing upon first viewing, which is why I like TE so much more.  Again, MF is in my top 3 and one funny scene is when Harry is standing there in the hallway trying to think of something to say to the girl who asked him, "What does a girl have to do to go sleep with you?" (or was that go to bed?-whatever)
That's humorous in itself, but what I always get a kick out of is the trolley that passes by in the background, I swear I can hear, "Rice-A-Roni, that San Francisco treat" in the background!

;D ;D ;D  
« Last Edit: November 07, 2004, 06:02:29 AM by Jed Cooper » Logged
eastwoodgirl16

Clint eastwood

View Profile Email
« Reply #54 on: November 14, 2004, 08:50:30 PM »

Here is my favorite Dirty Harry films
I like Maguim Force
Dirty Harry

It is is and go ahead and make my day punk
Americanbeauty
Member Extraordinaire

There's a darkness inside all of us ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #55 on: November 19, 2004, 03:12:51 AM »

I would say Dirty Harry's the best of the 5 ... it's a reeeeaaaaaaaaal masterpiece, if you ask me.

And then I would pick The Enforcer and Sudden Impact.

Each time I watch one of these, I still can't believe how good Clint was in this role ...

Make-'em-run-around-the-block-howling-in-agony stunning

"He that hath no beard is less than a man, and he that is less than a man, I am not for him…" 'Much Ado About Nothing' Act 2, Scene I (William Shakespeare)

http://americanbphotography.tumblr.com/
DirtyHenry

"Buzzards gotta eat...same as worms"

View Profile Email
« Reply #56 on: November 26, 2004, 12:53:14 AM »

From five of them I would pick...hmmmm....... :-\

.....the original Dirty Harry, of course and Magnum Force

QuiGonFishing

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #57 on: December 04, 2004, 01:19:14 AM »

Very interesting discussion…props to all who participated. Here now, at long last is the correct answer:

Dirty Harry
The Enforcer
Sudden Impact
Magnum Force
The Dead Pool

Congratulations to all who got it right.

Andy Robinson’s performance as Scorpio was so pitch perfect that it almost overshadowed Clint’s debut as Harry… almost that is. Eastwood’s Callahan is a film icon (as is Eastwood himself) and his work in the first feature was absolutely impeccable. I was barely out of diapers when DH came out in ’71 so I was first introduced to the film in its TV incarnation, but despite the watered down version, Robinson’s character still absolutely haunted me for years and years – I’m not sure if I’m fully over it yet.

As a young boy, the idea of someone that evil being out there shook me to the core. He at once conjured intense fear and intense anger. A perfect disease on which to unleash the cure in the form of Harry Callahan - who himself was as intense and unstoppable a force of nature as Scorpio himself.

Sociopaths are sociopaths because they feel no connection or obligation to the rule of law, or the path set before us by morality. In this way Harry is a bit of a sociopath too in that he carries out his will without regard for the rules. The way in which these two forces play against one another throughout the drama is a classic example a Yin-Yang conflict in the way that you would introduce a vaccine (a little bit of sickness) to battle a severe illness or start a fire to put out a fire. What played out on the screen was a triumph in modern film making and gave cinema goers one of the very first popular anti-heroes in movies.

Unfortunately, the popularity of the first film spawned a franchise. Which is not inherently a bad thing if you do it right. But it’s very hard to do it right. A franchise almost always becomes a franchise because producers realize that they have a money maker on their hands. Great film making comes in second (if you’re lucky). What also often comes into play is making the franchise a vehicle for the star. Luckily Clint Eastwood needs no vehicle which is why (in my opinion) the series remained viable for several iterations before surrendering to The Dead Pool – which was still an extremely successful film though not even close the standards set forth by those that came before.

That said, you can still feel the “franchisement” taking hold even as early as Magnum Force. The originality of the first begins to fade and the “formula” begins to take shape. Certain acts begin to look like they were written as vignettes that could be dropped in just about anywhere you needed them in the film. The scene on the airliner near the beginning of MF comes to mind, or the hostage scene in The Enforcer all the way to the ridiculous Chinese restaurant scene in Dead Pool. Harry gets a few hero shots in, maybe a one-liner or two, and then we proceed with the story uninterrupted. Don’t get me wrong, these are audience pleasing scenes and the do have their place, but in the original, events seem to be organic and their placement moves the drama and defines a character.

What allows a franchise to succeed is either creativity in the writing, or the over-arching charisma of the star. In the case of the Harry films we have both. Clint Eastwood’s magnetism is beyond question and defies measure – witness this board for starters. No need to go into any detail on this point CE is a given. To their credit, however, the Harry writers have been able to vary the story lines and the characters enough to keep an audience coming when paired with Eastwood’s personal draw (All men a secretly in love with Clint Eastwood like football and strip joints - it reverberates in your soul, YEAH , I SAID IT!!! JUST ADMIT IT TO YOURSELVES AND MOVE ON!!!).

It may never happen since he is so grizzled and tough, but if Clint Eastwood ever passes over to his reward, every man on the planet will be hanging his head in inconsolable grief. It would be a bad BAD day…

Anyway there’s the list. You may enshrine it or carve it into stone if you like, I’ll allow you to indulge your preference. Please let me know if you need any other tough question answering - I'm available.

Cheers!
-QGF
exit00

Dying ain't much of a livin'

View Profile Email
« Reply #58 on: December 04, 2004, 02:41:50 PM »

So we can all agree that The Dead Pool is the worst Harry movie? ;D

I would prefer to say that The Dead Pool is simply not as good as all the other Harry movies.....
Philo Beddoe Jr
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #59 on: December 09, 2004, 04:36:07 AM »

There was really only one perfect Harry movie.
That was the first one.

But all the others (with the exception of The Dead Pool), had a certain charm about them.

WKC.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T