News: See Eastwood's latest, THE 15:17 TO PARIS, coming on DVD May 22!

« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Star Trek Appreciation Thread (TOS only please)  (Read 37363 times)
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

The shadows betray you, because they belong to me!

View Profile Email
« on: November 18, 2006, 07:30:02 AM »

I haven't noticed a "Star Trek Appreciation Thread", so I thought I'd start my own.  I'm restricting this to the original series because it's my favorite.  I expect the other series to be mentioned from time to time; it's inevitable.  Still, I ask all who participate here to please stay on topic.  This will give those interested to start a separate thread of their own (which may mean we could have multiple ST threads...I'm hoping if that happens the moderators won't lump them together). 

So feel free to post anything regarding the show that aired from '66-'69, the animated and/or movie series.  As for me, I've been a fan since the "2nd wave" in the mid-to-late 70s when Star Trek was on television multiple channels almost every day and I STILL couldn't get enough!  My family would just roll their eyes when I could name any episode just seconds into viewing.  I'm a big collector of soundtracks; originals and newly recorded.

To keep things going, I'm also starting off with a post I made last summer in the "Movies I Have Watched This Week" thread, regarding Star Trek 2:

Last night I treated myself to the best of all Star Trek movies, The Wrath Of Khan.  Of course, being a fan of the original series, my opinion is biased.  I "got into" Star Trek before Elvis and Eastwood, which came a couple of years later.  I loved watching Kirk win the fight, get the girl (alien or human) and save the day.  The first movie in the series was an overall disappointment but the first sequel more than made up for it.  As great as The Voyage Home and First Contact are (the only 2 on par w/TWOK), it's this movie that is still my absolute favorite.

« Last Edit: November 18, 2006, 07:58:17 AM by Brian Cooper » Logged

You think darkness is your ally. But you merely adopted the dark; I was born in it, molded by it.
Walt
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2006, 11:48:09 AM »

I love TOS of Star Trek . The stories were great and the cast were irreplacable . The subsequent series were enjoyable on certain levels but nothing could capture the imagination like Kirk , Spock & Co.
Long live " The Shat "
little_bill
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2006, 12:16:53 PM »

i've died and gone to heaven  ;D i love Star Trek, i appreciate the others; TNG i watched them all, ds9 i watched them, all enterprise i watched them all, voyager i watched about 2. :D

But The Original Series was and still is my favourite tv show of all time. Easily some of the best writing from (Click the links to get some of their best work) Theodore Sturgeon, Dorothy Fontana, John DF Black and Gene L Coon  and some fantastic guest writers David Gerrold  helped by Gene L.Coon(Trouble with Tribbles) and Harlan Ellison (The City on the Edge of Forever) helped make a solid product.
I also think the richness of the universe is a testament to Roddenberrys insistance that no race should be introduced without explaining their background and learning about them, this has lead to the current situation where the Klingon culture and Romulan Culture is as well known as the federation culture to the fans.
one of the main reasons Star Trek rang so true to me was it's Messages of Peace and CoExistant which are still as Valid Today, plus as a child in 80s/90's Ireland Episodes like "Let that be your Last Battlefield" helped me identify and understand the dangers of Racial Hatred, soon after Ireland Began Receiving quite a few African Migrants and thanks to things like star trek i believe i am tolerant of our new nationals and still am very vocal about the racism problem in this country(Ireland)

To:

Star Trek from the beginning was a beacon for multicultrialism a Japanese Helmsman; an American Captain; my favourite character ( i think De Kelley was just great) The Southern Gentleman Doctor; a Scottish Engineer, an African Comms Officer, a Russian Weapons Officer and the master stroke an Alien, in otherwords human kind won't just overcome prejudice against our own kind but completely different beings will integrate with us into a new combined diversified society, star trek excellently dealt with spocks alieness in "Balance of Terror" where, because he looks like the Romulan Bad Guys, a crew member turns on him and exposes his small mindness and that fact that despite coming a long way we still have a long way to go, also excellently handled in this Episode is the portrayal by Mark Lenard of the Romulan Commander, he wasn't simply a brutish warlord, he was a soldier with orders, some that he didn't even agree with. he had a conscience and a soul. Mark Lenard of course went on to become Sarek(spocks father) and one of my favourite characters, God Bless Gene Roddenberry for creating it, but men like Robert Justman and Herb Sollow were also instrumental in Star Treks Success. and on a personal note i also found Gene L.Coons episodes to be wonderful,his reasons for leaving the show saddened me greatly and was noticeable with a dip in quality for the last season although he didn't produce he did write one of two episodes for season 3.
some of his best are:
Arena
Space Seed, the excellent story  that spawned the wrath of Khan, how lucky they were to land Ricardo Montalban
The Devil in the Dark
Errand of Mercy
A Piece of the Action
A Private Little War
Let That Be Your Last Battlefield (as Lee Cronin)

"The Wild Wild West" (6 episodes)
Gene Coon
Robert H Justman
Herbert F Sollow
Gene Roddenberry

i also thoroughly  agree with brian about the movies, Wrath of Kahn is a movie i've shown to non trekkies who've liked it.
The Directors cut of The Motion Picture is quite good.
The Wrath of Khan is an example of Great Director who understands the story and listens to a cast that knows their charecter, one of my all time favourite films
The Search for Spock is a great little adventure.
The Voyage home does a wonderful job of expanding on the the comedy and deep friendship of Spock and Kirk
The Final Frontier is watchable to be fair.
The Undiscovered Country is a great way t round off the Old Movies
« Last Edit: November 19, 2006, 12:48:22 PM by little_bill » Logged

He may look like an idiot and talk like an idiot but don't let that fool you. He really is an idiot.- Groucho Marx
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2006, 09:15:02 PM »

Thanks for that, little bill.  Great post.  Sorry I haven't responded sooner.  Yeah, a lot of great writing, mostly the first two seasons.  Maybe the writing was just as good in the third, it just didn't come across in the final product. 

I was just 13 when The Motion Picture came out and so excited to see it...only to come away extremly bored and sorely disappointed.

That's what made The Wrath Of Khan SO SWEET!  YES!  Great sequel!  All around great movie!

I enjoyed The Search For Spock very much but was very disappointed the Enterprise was destroyed.

The Voyage Home was a fun movie, although I didn't consider it one of the better ones right away.

After reading The Final Frontier novel, I anticipated seeing the movie even more....only to come away flabbergasted!  I remember thinking, "WHAT was THAT?"  I don't know what possessed me, but I forced myself to sit through a second viewing.  My time would've been better served scrubbing the toilet!

I was so happy that The Undiscovered Country was a vast improvement over the garbage disguised as a good Star Trek movie in the previous sequel, that I went back to see it ...9 times!  Although, upon recent viewings, I don't enjoy it as much anymore.  Still, I agree with little bill that it was a very good finale for the original cast.

I wasn't happy that Kirk was killed off in Generations.  I think it would've been better to have him live with the potetial for a future appearance.  Oh well, "As they say on Earth, c'est la vie." (anyone know where that quote comes from?) 

« Last Edit: December 14, 2006, 09:18:32 PM by Brian Cooper » Logged

You think darkness is your ally. But you merely adopted the dark; I was born in it, molded by it.
Brendan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2006, 10:15:05 PM »

I hate the fact that for the special edition of The Undiscovered Country they edit a little snippet of footage back in at the end. It's when Spock is reading Valeris's mind to get the information as to who setup Kirk and the Peace Negotiations. They show the faces of the people who did it. I hate it. I feel it destroys that whole scene. Because it makes the whole "racing to save the President" thing less exciting. By that point in the movie you may not know who was involved even upon hearing the names. It's a nitpick but they should have left it alone.
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2006, 10:28:49 PM »

Amen to that, brother!

Did you notice that they even edited out the Romulan Ambassador's name?  Yeah, that was some unncecessary, redundant editing. 

little_bill
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2006, 05:43:13 AM »

yeah she called him nonclus or something but it's no longer on my dvd, i still have all the movies on vhs, must dig them, out and check, brens dead right about the faces too, ruins the feel, makes it feel a bit sesame street,
Valeris:"Genral Changet" *oh and heres a picture so you know what the guy you only saw 5 mins ago looks like*

He may look like an idiot and talk like an idiot but don't let that fool you. He really is an idiot.- Groucho Marx
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2006, 09:06:31 AM »

By the way, "As they say on Earth, c'est la vie" was from The Search For Spock.

little_bill
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2006, 12:15:52 PM »

i love the scene that your sig is from too brian
Kirk: "All i ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by"
Bones: "Melvile"
Spock: "John Maysfield"
Bones: "Are you sure?"
Spock: "I am well versed in the classics Doctor!"
Bones: "Then how come you don't know 'Row Row Row Your Boat'"
 ;D ;D
was the only decent bit of the movie

Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2006, 06:06:37 AM »

One of the very few redeeming qualites of The Final Frontier.

Actually, I borrowed it from an original series episode, but can't remember which one.   :-[  Do you recall which one, little bill?  Anyone?

i love the scene that your sig is from too brian
Kirk: "All i ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by"
Bones: "Melvile"
Spock: "John Maysfield"
Bones: "Are you sure?"
Spock: "I am well versed in the classics Doctor!"
Bones: "Then how come you don't know 'Row Row Row Your Boat'"
 ;D ;D
was the only decent bit of the movie

KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2006, 10:47:00 AM »

Actually, I borrowed it from an original series episode, but can't remember which one.   :-[  Do you recall which one, little bill?  Anyone?

Really, Brian? And all this while I've thought you were a John Masefield fan ...

Sea Fever

I MUST go down to the seas again, to the lonely sea and the sky,
      And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by,
      And the wheel's kick and the wind's song and the white sail's shaking,
      And a gray mist on the sea's face, and a gray dawn breaking.

I must go down to the seas again, for the call of the running tide
      Is a wild call and a clear call that may not be denied;
      And all I ask is a windy day with the white clouds flying,
      And the flung spray and the blown spume, and the sea-gulls crying.

I must go down to the seas again, to the vagrant gypsy life,
      To the gull's way and the whale's way, where the wind's like a whetted knife;
      And all I ask is a merry yarn from a laughing fellow-rover,
      And quiet sleep and a sweet dream when the long trick's over.

John Masefield
little_bill
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2006, 09:29:39 AM »

yeah from the Second Seasons "The Ultimate Computer" i think it's from shortly after Daystrom calls kirk "Captain Dunsell" Kirk is sulking in his room and Bones comes by for a chat

Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2006, 07:03:49 PM »

It's nice to see where the quote originated from.  Thanks, KC and thanks for the episode, little bill.

I caught a bit of Balance Of Terror the other night on tv and DeForrest Kelley says something to Shatner in that episode I like very much.  I'll post that at a later time.

Does anybody enjoy the music from the series or movies?  I got hooked after hearing Jerry Goldsmith's score for the first motion picture and have been collecting soundtracks for all series on cd.  I'd love to get the animated series theme and the newer version of the theme from Enterprise on cd.

Brendan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2006, 07:47:56 PM »

I love the score to the Undiscovered Country. Absolutely love it! It fits perfectly with the whole "final mission of the Enterprise crew". The score during the battle with the Enterprise, the Excelsior and the Klingon Bird of Prey is heart pounding. It sells the scene so much more. And the score at the end? When we see the final shot from the Enterprise bridge? Awesome!

The Wrath of Kahn score is pretty good as well and so is the First Contact one.
little_bill
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2006, 09:02:48 AM »

James Horner(II & III) and Jerry Goldsmith(I&V), Wrote some great swashbuckle horneblower-esque music for Trek, Cliff Eidleman did the Music for VI

Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2006, 06:06:48 AM »

I love Eidelman's score, too.  I feel the same way in that it's a great finale for the original cast.  I couldn't get enough of it when I first got the cd.  "Rura Penthe" is one of my favorites, with the chorus chanting To Be Or Not To Be in Klingon.  "The Battle For Peace" is great, as is the last couple of tracks, "Sign Off" and "Star Trek VI Suite".

I love the score to the Undiscovered Country. Absolutely love it! It fits perfectly with the whole "final mission of the Enterprise crew". The score during the battle with the Enterprise, the Excelsior and the Klingon Bird of Prey is heart pounding. It sells the scene so much more. And the score at the end? When we see the final shot from the Enterprise bridge? Awesome!

The Wrath of Kahn score is pretty good as well and so is the First Contact one.

Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2006, 06:17:52 AM »

Goldsmith returned to score First Contact, Insurrection and Nemesis, reusing some great themes from The Motion Picture (as he did for The Final Frontier).

The only reason I'm posting TNG images here is to show that Jerry Goldsmith originally scored The Motion Picture, then returned for The Final Frontier and then these TNG movies.  One of my friends thought TOS stole their theme for The Final Frontier from TNG's tv show!  I thought that was funny.  The theme from TNG is a combination of the original opening theme by Alexander Courage, with the theme from TMP blending in thereafter. 

James Horner(II & III) and Jerry Goldsmith(I&V), Wrote some great swashbuckle horneblower-esque music for Trek, Cliff Eidleman did the Music for VI

Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2006, 06:22:26 AM »

A great image of the original crew.

« Last Edit: December 26, 2006, 03:31:20 PM by Brian Cooper » Logged

Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2006, 03:37:27 PM »

I recall upon first viewing of the poster for Insurrection that it resembled The Undiscovered Country teaser poster. 

I found some interesting notes regarding this here: http://www.thefilmfrontier.com/tng/tng03/prod2.htm

Specifically:
Rather than create fresh ideas, there appears to have been a conscious effort on Paramount's part to re-use Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country's marketing material.  For instance, the promotional tagline for Star Trek VI was "The battle for peace has begun" - perhaps the best Trek tagline ever.  The promotional tagline for Insurrection was "The battle for paradise has begun."  The Insurrection poster was heavily "inspired" by the Star Trek VI advance poster.

I enjoyed both movies very much.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2006, 09:26:03 AM by Brian Cooper » Logged

Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2006, 04:30:11 PM »

Here's that quote I mentioned earlier, from Balance Of Terror:
McCoy: Something I seldom say to a customer, Jim. In this galaxy, there's a mathematical probability of 3 million Earth-type planets. And in all of the universe, 3 million million galaxies like this. And in all of that, and perhaps more, only one of each of us. Don't destroy the one named Kirk.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T