News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Star Trek Appreciation Thread (TOS only please)  (Read 38975 times)
Clint Van Wallach

Email
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2007, 11:23:17 AM »

I came across this photo the other day and I was just wondering;

Brian, is this you?  ;)
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2007, 11:24:49 AM »

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2007, 09:30:28 AM »

I just came across this amusing video on You Tube.

"Star Trek Meets Monty Python"

http://youtube.com/watch?v=luVjkTEIoJc
« Last Edit: February 09, 2007, 09:34:42 AM by Brian Cooper » Logged
little_bill
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2007, 10:06:10 AM »

is it just me or is that page loading as source code.

He may look like an idiot and talk like an idiot but don't let that fool you. He really is an idiot.- Groucho Marx
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2007, 06:02:07 AM »

is it just me or is that page loading as source code.

Sorry, it's something I came across on You Tube.  Maybe it's not the best source.
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2007, 09:51:56 AM »

It loaded fine for me. :)
little_bill
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2007, 05:15:40 AM »

might be my new av solution so. only installed it last week,i'll try tinkering with it.

He may look like an idiot and talk like an idiot but don't let that fool you. He really is an idiot.- Groucho Marx
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2007, 03:47:55 PM »

I only recently found out about a documentary Leonard Nimoy is hosting about Star Trek that will air on the History Channel tonight.  There may be repeated viewings, too. 

You can learn more about it here: http://www.startrek.com/startrek/view/news/article/36837.html
philo
Member Extraordinaire

"Slightly advanced"

View Profile Email
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2007, 10:11:58 AM »

What do you all think about the new remastering of the original shows.

I, as you can guess am not happy with them "playing god" but I guess some fans will no doubt approve ....

More details here.

http://www.startrek.com/startrek/view/news/TOS/article/28095.html

Philo .

"I won't be hitting you with my face"
Walt
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2007, 10:17:51 AM »

The digital remastering is cool to see and I can understand why they're doing it but I'll stick with the original images.I won't be forking out for the new DVDs when they inevitably appear.
Brendan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2007, 11:46:59 AM »

I haven't actually seen one of the remastered episodes yet but as you should know, I'm not a fan of it. I've seen images and yeah they look good but is it really necessary? Doesn't it take some of the charm and fun out of The Original Series when they've been tinkered with? Plus it's neat to see how they made things back then and how a show with sets and props like they had can become of the greatest TV icons ever.
little_bill
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2007, 01:58:56 PM »

i'm with Brendan, Philo and Walt, i've nothing against it but i prefer the original, it contains a certain charm

Brendan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2007, 08:29:18 PM »

I don't mind it because BOTH versions are available to watch and (soon) to own. I've heard that Paramount is going to be re-releasing the remastered ones on DVD. Unlike the original Star Wars trilogy of course....
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2007, 06:32:26 AM »

From time to time, out of curiosity, I've been checking out the newly remastered episodes.  I agree with Brendan that it does take away some of the charm.  I was hoping there'd be a vast improvement, but it's almost like watching the animated series, with regard to shots of the Enterprise in flight.  I'm going to have to watch a handful more episodes to compare but so far I still enjoy the originals better.  I can't wait to see what they do with "The Doomsday Machine"; the exterior shot of the Constellation on the way to it's destruction is extremely hokey.  I hope, at least, that that segment was improved upon.

Not long ago (in this galaxy  ;)) I purchased Star Wars, The Empire Strikes Back and The Return Of The Jedi on dvd; each is a 2-disc set with the remastered version on disc one and the original theatrical version on disc two.
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2007, 07:48:20 AM »

I just started viewing Star Trek: Beyond The Final Frontier and got a kick out of Patrick Stewart's comments regarding his start on TNG and especially his praise of Shatner's portayal of Kirk:

"I was asked in the first year, 'How does it feel to be stepping into the shoes of Captain Kirk?' and I had the presence of mind to say, 'Excuse me, but Captain Kirk is still filling his shoes very, very adequately.' as indeed Bill was.  They were shooting a movie when we were starting ours (t.v. series).  These guys were the originators of all of this. In three seasons, what Bill achieved, what he established with that character, I think, towers over everything else.  Just remember that I said that Bill, the next time we decide who's paying for dinner."

That sums it up for me as well.  I loved watching Star Trek when it was playing multiple times in reruns around '76-'77.  Before long, I could name any given episode seconds into viewing.  I had a lot of fun annoying family members with that.  :D

I was growing up without a dad and Kirk was the first of 3 heroes I admired.  The media attnention upon Elvis's passing drew me to his recordings and performances and I became a serious Eastwood fan some years later, catching his Leone westerns and Dirty Harry movies on t.v. 

There was so much passion in Shatner's portayal of Captain James T. Kirk that I couldn't get enough.  I loved his winning the fight, getting the girl and making an passionate speech about something he believed in to help "make a difference".

« Last Edit: February 26, 2009, 06:08:39 AM by Brian Cooper » Logged
Walt
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2007, 11:43:50 AM »

Very well put Brian.Captain Kirk would never have become so iconic had it not been for "The Shat"
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2007, 04:46:59 PM »

Very well put Brian.Captain Kirk would never have become so iconic had it not been for "The Shat"

Mucho gracias, amigo!  O0
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #37 on: February 23, 2007, 08:46:22 AM »

I finished watching Beyond The Final Frontier and hoo-boy!  The auction featured brought in a ton o'dough!  The model of the U.S.S. Reliant from Star Trek II: The Wrath Of Khan sold for $24,000.00 and McCoy's space suit from The Tholian Web sold for $120,000.00!  The Enterprise A sold for $240,000.00 and Enterprise D...are you ready for this?  That model sold for $500,000.00! 
Brendan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #38 on: February 23, 2007, 10:27:18 AM »

If I were very, very, ridiculously wealthy I would have spent a lot more to get that Enterprise D model.
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #39 on: February 23, 2007, 01:21:18 PM »

For me it would be the original Enterprise.  With that, the original Klingon and Romulan vessels would be nice to round out the set.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T