News: Now in post-production: THE MULE, directed by and starring Clint Eastwood!

« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Star Trek Appreciation Thread (TOS only please)  (Read 39993 times)
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #200 on: February 18, 2018, 03:44:42 PM »

“Shore Leave”

12/29/66 (Original Airdate)

5/26/07 (Remastered Airdate)

Be careful what you wish for, you just might get it.  Dr. McCoy and Lt. Sulu are assigned with the task of scouting a potential shore leave location for the Enterprise crew. 

They don’t realize that they’re in an advanced amusement park, where thoughts of fantasy and fear instantly come to life.  Having lived through dreams and nightmare, Captain Kirk orders his crew to stand at attention and clear their minds, lest they experience any further danger, thinking they lost Dr. McCoy to a knights’ jousting.

The caretaker appears, explaining how and why things happen on the planet, assuring there is no danger.  McCoy’s healthy reappearance confirms this and the Enterprise crew make preparations for some badly needed, well deserved rest and relaxation. 

A fun episode that reveals some of Kirk’s past and shows how he, McCoy and Sulu react to the fantastic environment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #201 on: February 18, 2018, 03:54:02 PM »

“The Galileo Seven”

1/05/67 (Original Airdate)

9/15/07 (Remastered Airdate)

Spock and six other Enterprise crew members take flight in the Galileo for an opportunistic scientific expedition, but are forced to crash land on the nearby Taurus II planet.

Electrical interference makes Kirk is  communication with the lost crew impossible and sensors become unreliable in searching for them.  Adding stress to an already tense situation, visiting passenger High Commissioner Ferris constantly pressures Captain Kirk, reminding him of his responsibility to deliver medical supplies to Makus III.

We see how Spock handles stress in a dangerous situation as he applies logic to every decision made as he and the crew attempt to repair the Galileo for re-launch, as well as primitive, hostile, violent and very large natives. 

Two crew members die from native attacks and the others are becoming visibly upset with Mr. Spock.   They are ultimately able to take flight but when hope of being found is apparently lost, Spock takes a gamble by jettisoning the shuttle craft fuel in an attempt to make themselves noticed by the Enterprise.  The flare is noticed on board the Enterprise and the Galileo crew is beamed aboard safely. 

One of the series’ best moments happens at the end of this episode, when Spock refuses to admit to Kirk  that he reacted emotionally under pressure.  The exchange results in laughter from the crew, with the exception of Mr. Spock.

Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #202 on: February 18, 2018, 04:32:07 PM »

“The Squire Of Gothos”

1/12/67 (Original Airdate)

7/21/07 (Remastered Airdate)

William Campbell is great in his role of Trelane here.  This is the story of an alien man-child that uses passersby of his home planet for his own amusement.  They become his playthings to do whatever he wishes until he becomes bored with them. 

Trelane is in for a disappointing surprise with the crew, and especially captain, of the Enterprise.  At first excited and happy with his new playthings, he quickly becomes annoyed when he realizes things aren’t going his way and reacts like an angry, spoiled brat.

Bargaining for the release of his crew, Kirk seemingly outwits Trelane in challenging him to a hunt but the new and thrilling experience causes him to reconsider, backing out of his original agreement with the intent of repeating the experience with the rest of the Enterprise crew.

It is Trelane’s parents, appearing in their original alien form, who save the day.  Apologizing to Captain Kirk for their child’s behavior, they inform him he and his crew are safe to depart and inform Trelane playtime is over. 

This is a great episode.  It’s reminiscent of “Charlie X”, but with enough of a twist to be equally entertaining, even adding a tinge of humor. 

Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #203 on: February 20, 2018, 12:41:18 PM »

“Arena”

1/19/67 (Original Airdate)

10/21/06 (Remastered Airdate)

Kirk finds himself in a battle to the death against the commander of a Gorn ship in a desolate location with limited, primitive resources for defense.  The Enterprise was in pursuit of the Gorn vessel after discovering it had destroyed an Earth outpost. 

Both ships were stopped as they entered space occupied by the highly advanced species, called The Metrons.  Considering the invasion of their territory unacceptable, it is they who set up the battlefield location for the two captains to settle their dispute.

The Gorn commander is large, reptilian and obviously much stronger than Kirk, but slow moving.  Using this to his advantage, he eventually discovers a way to build a makeshift cannon to incapacitate his enemy.  Impressed upon Kirk showing mercy to his foe and yelling out to the them his refusal to kill him, a Metron representative appears in human form.  The alien offers to destroy the Gorn but Kirk refuses and elaborates that they can work out their differences. 

Before departing, the Metron tells Captain Kirk that his race is a most promising species, as far as predators go and that perhaps it can be proven to the Metrons in a thousand years or so.

Gant
Member Extraordinaire

His job ..... steal it.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #204 on: February 20, 2018, 12:46:26 PM »

Arena, one of my favourite episodes... Loved that one as a kid..

Borderline burnout with questionable social skills
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #205 on: February 20, 2018, 06:18:33 PM »

“Tomorrow Is Yesterday”

1/26/67 (Original Airdate)

5/05/07 (Remastered Airdate)

Breaking away from the pull of a black star, the Enterprise is hurled back in time to Earth’s atmosphere.  They eventually discover they have arrived back in time to the year 1969.  Having been identified by an Air Force aircraft, they beam the pilot aboard.

Now they are faced with the dilemma of trying to figure a way back to their own time and what to do with the Air Force pilot, now exposed to elements of the future that could compromise the timeline.

A solution is found but it’s not easy.  Upon retrieving footage of the Enterprise from the pilots’ base, another military officer is beamed up accidentally.  Using Spock’s calculations, the Enterprise can return both men to their current timeline with no memory or knowledge of the future before implementing a slingshot effect around the sun to return to the future.

This is a very entertaining episode.  We see how the Enterprise crew reacts to having been thrust back in time.  A serious situation, not without some comical and humorous moments.  It’s established here that they now have the knowledge to travel back and forth in time, a premise that will be revisited. 

« Last Edit: August 12, 2018, 05:12:11 PM by Jed Cooper » Logged
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #206 on: February 23, 2018, 05:34:40 AM »

Hey Gant, sorry for not having replied sooner.

Miri is a great upside... Often not shown here in the UK I believe

That’s unfortunate.  I agree, a very good episode.  Seasons 1 & 2 are mostly good, I’m not a big fan of season 3.

If your a fan of Star Trek then I think you might enjoy Season 4 episode 1 of Black Mirror on Netflix..

Thanks, Gant.  I don’t have Netflix and am unfamiliar with the show.  I looked it up on IMDB and the episode, “USS Callister” sounds interesting.  Is it anything like Galaxy Quest?

Arena, one of my favourite episodes... Loved that one as a kid..

Yeah, it’s one of my favorites, too. 

A brief interruption of this recapitulative series ...

Review: Fox’s ‘The Orville’ is Star Trek, the Next Regurgitation  :D

Going where at least one show has gone before: from left, Seth MacFarlane, Penny Johnson Jerald, Adrianne Palicki, Halston Sage and Brian George in “The Orville,” beginning Sunday on Fox. Credit Fox, via Associated Press

Brian, do you plan to watch?

Tina and I have only gotten as far as the first three episodes of The Orville but enjoy it so far.  I’m looking forward to returning to it and catching up soon.

As for Star Trek: Discovery, I’ve only seen the first of the two-parter that aired on regular tv.  I liked what I saw, but don’t see myself signing up to pay extra to continue. 

« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 05:35:59 AM by Jed Cooper » Logged
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #207 on: August 25, 2018, 03:54:06 PM »

“Court Martial”

2/02/67 (Original Airdate)

5/10/08 (Remastered Airdate)

Ben Finney is holding a grudge.  He has a score to settle with his former shipmate and friend, Jim Kirk.   Ben staging his own death causes the Enterprise captain to stand trial, jeopardizing Jim’s future with Starfleet Command.

Shatner’s acting ability is very apparent here, showing dedication to his command and belief in himself while facing being set up for the death of one of his crew. 

You can feel the tension in the air when Commodore Stone tells Kirk he draws a “general court” (court martial hearing):  “Draw it? I demand it, and right now, Commodore Stone, right now!”

« Last Edit: August 25, 2018, 03:56:36 PM by Jed Cooper » Logged
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #208 on: August 25, 2018, 03:58:36 PM »

“The Return Of The Archons”

2/09/67 (Original Airdate)

12/08/07 (Remastered Airdate)

“Joy be with you.  Peace and contentment.”  The inhabitants on the planet Beta III are unwittingly ruled by a machine.  They believe it to be a higher being, named Landru.   In fact, Landru was a man that built a machine to rule the planet the way he saw fit long after he was gone. 

The Enterprise crew learns of this upon investigating what happened to the Archon, a starship that disappeared a hundred years earlier while orbiting Beta III.   

With help from an underground movement, Kirk and Spock learn of Landru’s location and through a battle of wits and logic causes the machine to self-destruct. 

« Last Edit: August 25, 2018, 04:01:48 PM by Jed Cooper » Logged
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #209 on: August 25, 2018, 04:03:34 PM »

“Space Seed”

2/18/67 (Original Airdate)

11/18/06 (Remastered Airdate)

The story is paced just right.  What starts out as an investigation quickly turns into a rescue mission, then slowly evolves into a dangerous threat. 

Khan is one of Star Trek’s greatest, most dangerous and popular villains.  Ricardo Montalbans’ performance is brilliant.  His acting proves he was perfect in the role, a very intelligent and physically intimidating opponent. 

Easily one of the best episodes that led to the original series cast’s best movie, as well as one of the all time greatest films of the franchise. 

« Last Edit: August 25, 2018, 04:07:13 PM by Jed Cooper » Logged
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #210 on: August 25, 2018, 04:10:12 PM »

“A Taste Of Armageddon”

2/23/67 (Original Airdate)

12/15/07 (Remastered Airdate)

On a diplomatic mission to Eminiar VII, Kirk and his landing party find themselves in the middle of a 500 year old war.  The inhabitants are in a state of conflict with Vendikar.

Before long the revelation is made to the landing party that there is more than meets the eye.   Both parties have cleaned up the mess, disaster and mayhem of war and fight their battles via computer.  All fatalities reported are to be honored by each side, with each and every individual recorded as such willing to report to a disintegration chamber.

This doesn’t sit well with Kirk, who employs his brand of Cowboy Diplomacy that forces both sides to finally talk with each other in the hopes of signing a peace treaty.  Fortunately, Ambassador Fox from the UFP is on hand to guide the talks between both parties.

A good first season episode, entertaining and thought provoking.  I wonder if then U.S. President Reagan had this episode in mind when he proposed the “Strategic Defense Initiative” dubbed, ironically enough by the media, as “Star Wars” in early 1983. 

« Last Edit: August 25, 2018, 04:12:30 PM by Jed Cooper » Logged
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #211 on: August 25, 2018, 04:18:37 PM »

Mods, I mistakenly posted text and images separately. Please delete this post as I’ve corrected my error.  Thank you.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2018, 05:15:09 PM by Jed Cooper » Logged
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #212 on: August 25, 2018, 04:20:56 PM »

“This Side Of Paradise”

3/02/67 (Original Airdate)

7/28/07 (Remastered Airdate)

“This is mutiny, mister!”
“Yes sir, it is.”

Slowly but surely the Enterprise crew falls under the spell of spores shot out of a plant, one of many, found on the planet Omicron Ceti III.  Spock is the first crew member to be affected and the effects are quite amusing.  He acts childlike and is romantic with Leila, one of the planets’ colonists and an old acquaintance.

Kirk is the last to fall under the spell of the spores and about to join everyone when his mood changes upon seeing some of his medals he’s about to pack.  The sight causes an adrenaline rush, reversing his state of euphoria.  Realizing he’s discovered a way to do the same for his crew and the colonists, Kirk knows he has to risk confronting Spock.  His first officer is the most qualified to aide in accomplishing the task at hand. 

The Captain risks bodily harm to himself by taunting Mr. Spock and angering him enough that he strikes back until the effects of the spores wear off.  A subsonic transmitter they make finishes the job, restoring all back to normal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: August 25, 2018, 05:09:05 PM by Jed Cooper » Logged
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #213 on: August 25, 2018, 04:22:48 PM »

“The Devil In The Dark”

3/09/67 (Original Airdate)

9/23/06 (Remastered Airdate)

The universal, timeless lesson here is don’t mess with a mothers’ babies.  The miners on Janus VI find a huge, monstrous creature is killing members of their colony, destroying much of their equipment and burrowing tunnels throughout the lower levels where they are operating. 

Enter Kirk, Spock and McCoy to investigate and assist.  At first, a silicon object on Chief Vandenbergs’ desk noticed by Mr. Spock is dismissed as meaningless.  Before long, it’s discovered these very object are the eggs of the creature defending her litter.  This is done via mind meld between the creature, identifying itself as a Horta, and Spock. 

Kirk orders McCoy to tend to the Horta’s wound and informs Vanderberg that the miners and Horta can coexist and a mutual understanding is agreed, beneficial to all. 

« Last Edit: August 25, 2018, 04:24:52 PM by Jed Cooper » Logged
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #214 on: August 25, 2018, 04:27:07 PM »

“Errand Of Mercy”

3/23/67 (Original Airdate)

5/12/07 (Remastered Airdate)

In Balance Of Terror, we were introduced to the Romulans, a deadly and intimidating enemy of Starfleet.  Here, we are introduced to a foe just as bad, even worse, the Klingons.  One of their vessels engages the Enterprise in a losing battle, the genesis of war between the UFP and Klingon Empire. 

Kirks’ next orders are to get his starship to the planet Organia to prevent their enemy from taking it over as a base of operations.  He and Spock, unable to convince the Council of Elders of the impending threat, are stranded as the Enterprise is forced to leave orbit upon the arrival of a Klingon fleet of battle cruisers. 

Posing as citizens of Organia, the Captain and his first officer sabotage Commander Kor and his mens’ attempts at taking over the planet.  Ultimately, they are discovered and eventually a confrontation takes place that forces the Organians to interfere.  They reveal themselves to be a highly advanced species, forcing both sides to end hostilities and depart.

Like Balance Of Terror, this is one of the best episodes of Star Trek.  Like Mark Lenard in his role as the Romulan Commander, John Colicos is as impressive, convincing and entertaining as Klingon Commander Kor.  It’s a pity neither of these characters would return during the original series’ run.

At the other end of the spectrum, John Abbott was equally convincing and entertaining as the Organian known as Ayelborn.  His passive demeanor played off well to the two combatant commanders and it’s amusing to watch Kirk and Kors’ reactions to him.

« Last Edit: August 25, 2018, 04:31:57 PM by Jed Cooper » Logged
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #215 on: August 25, 2018, 04:34:00 PM »

“The Alternative Factor”

3/30/67 (Original Airdate)

12/01/07 (Remastered Airdate)

Kirk and crew encounter Lazarus, a man traveling to and from a parallel universe that causes a disruption in the galaxy.  What causes confusion is that when Lazarus from one universe disappears, the other appears in his place.  According to Spock, the danger of the two Lazarus’ ever meeting in the same universe would cause “Annihilation. Total, complete, absolute annihilation.”  The threat is that one Lazarus has vowed to kill the other, regardless of the consequences. 

After discussing what to do with the more sensible Lazarus of the two, it is decided that Kirk will force the manic Lazarus into the “corridor” between the two universes.  While this condemns both Lazarus’ for all eternity, it ensures the safety of both universes. 

This is my least favorite first season episode.  I usually find myself anticipating the end of the episode not long after it begins.  The biggest downside is Robert Brown as Lazarus.  I’ve learned that John Barrymore was originally contracted to play the role but didn’t show up and rather than scrap the episode on the second day of filming, Brown was found as a last minute, reluctant, replacement.  It definitely shows on the final product. 

« Last Edit: August 25, 2018, 04:37:16 PM by Jed Cooper » Logged
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #216 on: August 25, 2018, 04:40:33 PM »

“The City On The Edge Of Forever”

4/06/67 (Original Airdate)

10/07/06 (Remastered Airdate)

Through a series of unforeseeable and unfortunate events, Dr. McCoy has disappeared into Earths’ history through a time portal.   Kirk and his landing party are informed by the portal itself that it is known as The Guardian Of Forever.  McCoy’s leap through the it has changed the course of history and the Enterprise landing party find themselves stranded.

Kirk decides that with the use of Spocks’ tricorder, the two of them will risk traveling through the portal to retrieve McCoy and prevent him from affecting history so they can be automatically be returned to their unaltered timeline.

This is a great episode and is a fan favorite.  The writing, acting and production come together perfectly.  Joan Collins is wonderful in her portal as Edith Keeler and Shatner’s portrayal as the smitten Captain is very convincing.  You cannot help being moved by his heart wrenching act to neglect saving her life to restore the timeline, in effect preventing the death of millions.

« Last Edit: August 25, 2018, 04:42:51 PM by Jed Cooper » Logged
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #217 on: August 25, 2018, 04:45:02 PM »

“Operation: Annihilate!”

4/13/67 (Original Airdate)

2/23/08 (Remastered Airdate)

Deneva is the fourth in a series of planets suffering from mass insanity.  Lt. Uhura is unable to make contact and this concerns Kirk greatly as his brother Sam and his family are is on Deneva.  Kirk and his landing party arrive at his brothers’ lab to find Sam Kirk dead, his wife Aurelan hysterical and their son Peter unconscious.

An invasion of alien creatures has been under way, forcing the planets’ inhabitants to build spaceships for them as the creatures are incapable of completing the task. 

The landing party discover some of the creatures, only to learn their phasers do not harm them.  As they depart, one of them attacks Mr. Spock.  Upon their return to the Enterprise, Dr. McCoy faces the difficult task of figuring out how to kill the alien creatures.  Remembering the pilot of a Denevan ship was successful in freeing himself from the intense pain and madness caused by the creatures seconds before his own deaths, McCoy puts together a test chamber that proves successful in destroying one of the creatures.

Spock volunteers to be tested first, but Dr. McCoy objects.  Kirk decides the test must take place and so it does.  The good news: the effects of the creature on Spock have been removed.  The bad news:  the intense light has left Spock blind.  Even worse, McCoy finds through subsequent lab tests a way the effects of the creature could’ve been eradicated without blinding Spock. 

The creatures on Deneva are ultimately destroyed via ultraviolet satellites deployed at Kirks’ orders.  Surprisingly, Spock returns to duty on the Enterprise bridge, his vision fully restored.  Due to his inner eyelid, a Vulcan biological feature, his blindness was merely temporary.  Starfleet has not lost its’ “best first officer” after all.

« Last Edit: August 25, 2018, 04:49:19 PM by Jed Cooper » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T