News: See Eastwood's latest, THE 15:17 TO PARIS, coming on DVD May 22!

« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Star Trek Appreciation Thread (TOS only please)  (Read 38976 times)
Brendan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #40 on: February 23, 2007, 03:17:11 PM »

Then you could have imaginary space battles.

Brian: "Ah man, I broke my warp nacelle."

Brendan: "Nope, my Klingon Bird of Prey shot it."

Brian:" Nooooo! You said you were cloaked at the time! And Klingon Birds of Prey can't fire when they're cloaked!"

Brendan: "Yeah but I have General Chang's ship from Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country."

Brian:"What? That ship blew up!"

Brendan: "Yeah but this a was a test flight."

Brian: "Wait... how is General Chang's ship battling the Enterprise D when Changs ship is from a different time period."

Brendan: "Uh... time travel? Duh! I mean this is Star Trek man... time travel stories is all they do."

Brian: "Oh for Pete's sake. That was just Voyager." (zing on the Voyager writers!)
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #41 on: February 25, 2007, 11:50:01 AM »

;D ;D ;D

You know something?  The footage of the destruction of Chang's vessel from The Undiscovered Country was re-used in Generations.  That's not the first time this was done, as footage of the Enterprise from The Motion Picture was reused for The Wrath Of Khan.
Brendan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #42 on: February 25, 2007, 02:50:38 PM »

I knew about the Bird of Prey in Generations not the re-suing for Wrath of Kahn though.
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #43 on: February 25, 2007, 02:56:45 PM »

Yeah.  Watch closely and you'll see a person in a space-suit that waves as they're leaving drydock. 
Brendan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #44 on: February 25, 2007, 06:21:26 PM »

Oh, I've seen that in Wrath of Kahn but I didn't realize that was from The Motion Picture. Since that movie is a piece of crap I've hardly ever watched it and when I do my eyes are usually closed and I'm snoring.
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #45 on: February 26, 2007, 10:19:16 AM »

Oh, I've seen that in Wrath of Kahn but I didn't realize that was from The Motion Picture. Since that movie is a piece of crap I've hardly ever watched it and when I do my eyes are usually closed and I'm snoring.

;D

I agree.  I was sorely disappointed upon first seeing it way back in December '79.  I enjoyed the opening sequence with the Klingons and even though the footage of the Enterprise in drydock was too long, it was still beautiful.  I do love Jerry Goldsmith's score, the main theme proving so popular as to be reused in sequels and the TNG tv show.  I very much enjoyed the book, too.  If you ever are curious enough to check out the "Director's Edition", you may like it at least a little more.  I still think it's too long and they could edit out 30-45 minutes without hurting the integrity of the movie.  Hell, that would be an improvement.  O0
« Last Edit: February 26, 2007, 10:20:23 AM by Brian Cooper » Logged
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #46 on: April 26, 2007, 11:02:21 AM »

1. Main Title   
2. The Whaler   
3. Market Street - The Yellowjackets   
4. Crash-Whale Fugue  Listen Listen   
5. Ballad Of The Whale - The Yellowjackets 
6. Gillian Seeks Kirk 
7. Chekov's Run 
8. Time Travel 
9. Hospital Chase 
10. The Probe   
11. Home Again: End Credits 

I've been having a "Star Trek Movie Soundtrack Day" today.  This is the one I'm listening to now.  A couple of nice jazz-type entries by The Yellowjackets makes this a nice departure from the typical soundtracks.  I've always enjoyed the main title, which opens with classic Star Trek music; it's one of the better themes of the series.
little_bill
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #47 on: April 27, 2007, 05:55:02 AM »

the TMP soundtrack is quite interesting.

He may look like an idiot and talk like an idiot but don't let that fool you. He really is an idiot.- Groucho Marx
Alcatraz
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #48 on: April 27, 2007, 02:07:16 PM »

1 Question:

Whos the biggest Trekkie on here?

"Reality continues to ruin my life" - Calvin
little_bill
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #49 on: April 28, 2007, 06:22:41 AM »

one word brian ;D

was listening to twok vs tmp soiundtracks, and while jerry goldsmith did a good job on tmp, horners twok is like a real swashbucklers soundtrack, a veritable hornblower in space as roddenberry described star trek once, the difference is obvious in the comparision of "Leaving dry dock"from tmp and "Enterprise clears moorings" from twok.

He may look like an idiot and talk like an idiot but don't let that fool you. He really is an idiot.- Groucho Marx
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #50 on: April 28, 2007, 07:25:31 AM »

The Motion Picture soundtrack will probably always be my favorite, but Horner did great work not only on The Wrath Of Khan but The Search For Spock as well.  If he's still around, it'd be nice to have Horner do the music for the newest Star Trek movie, to keep ties to the original.  O0
Alcatraz
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #51 on: April 28, 2007, 08:21:29 AM »

one word brian ;D

I thought so but, you had some post that game me the idea that it was you.  ;D

little_bill
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #52 on: April 28, 2007, 11:48:14 PM »

oh i love it, i really love star trek, but brian is very committed, if you know what i mean ;) he'd easily get my vote as biggest trekkie on the boards

Alcatraz
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #53 on: April 30, 2007, 01:22:16 PM »

Ok ok.

Now being as I am a complete retard matters Star Trek, whats TOS?

KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #54 on: April 30, 2007, 05:13:22 PM »

Even I know that ... "The Original Series"! ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Trek:_The_Original_Series
Alcatraz
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #55 on: May 01, 2007, 07:02:14 AM »

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH. Haha, I probably could have guessed that.

Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #56 on: May 09, 2007, 04:03:50 PM »

I recently watched one of the remastered episodes, Tomorrow Is Yesterday and was very impressed.  As much as I love Star Trek, I'm glad I'm not collecting anymore, 'cause I'd just HAVE TO HAVE them all when released on dvd!  :D

I'll settle for watching them when I can on t.v.  It's almost like watching them for the first time.  I wonder if they'll do the same with TOS movies; they did when Robert Wise re-edited Star Trek: The Motion Picture.  The scene on Vulcan, the wormhole incident and approach of the probe look far better now.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2007, 04:05:03 PM by Brian Cooper » Logged
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #57 on: May 31, 2007, 07:40:11 AM »

I just came across this nice logo.  Star Trek debuted on television the same year I was born.  Kirk: "What....are...THE ODDS?!"

Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #58 on: August 08, 2007, 06:29:00 PM »

From time to time I've been catching snippets of the newly remastered Star Trek original series.  So far, I haven't been disappointed.  I'm dying to see the new Doomsday Machine episode.  That episode was seriously lacking in the special effects dept.  Here's a couple of shots from the remastered episode:

« Last Edit: August 31, 2007, 05:29:13 PM by Brian Cooper » Logged
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #59 on: August 29, 2007, 02:05:39 PM »

Iíve been listening to the soundtrack cd of Star Trek: The Motion Picture recently.  Iíve always loved this music.  One of my favorite tracks is ďThe EnterpriseĒ.  Sadly, itís the best part of the movie!  Kirk is approaching the starship in a shuttle with Scotty.  Itís a little too long, but definitely majestic.  I remember seeing it for the first time as a kid at 13 and itís as if I were on the shuttle with them. 

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T