News: Watch Clint Eastwood's RICHARD JEWELL, now available streaming and on Blu-ray and DVD!

« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Star Trek Appreciation Thread (TOS only please)  (Read 48816 times)
Brendan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #100 on: May 10, 2009, 04:02:44 PM »

SPOILERS!!

Speaking as a long time Star Wars fan I'll say this:

SOMEONE TIE GEORGE LUCAS DOWN TO A CHAIR, FORCE HIM TO WATCH THIS MOVIE REPEATEDLY SO HE CAN SEE HOW A TRUE PREQUEL IS DONE

But.... it's not a prequel...
Sylvie
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #101 on: May 10, 2009, 11:31:06 PM »

I went to see it yesterday afternoon with my daughter Lou, and we enjoyed it a lot  !

I only felt a little surprised by the scene (VERY SMALL SPOILERS) on the frozen planet, then the words said by Spock in the cavern ... maybe a wink to Master Lucas !  ;)
« Last Edit: May 10, 2009, 11:45:05 PM by Sylvie » Logged

"If she looks back, that means she's interested . Come on now, give me a little look. One little glance back..."

2007 Movie journal
dane with no name
Member Extraordinaire

I dont think it's nice you're laughing...

View Profile Email
« Reply #102 on: May 11, 2009, 02:47:13 AM »

But.... it's not a prequel...

Prequel, Retcon, Reinvention, any kind of green you like, take your pick then  ;)
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

You gotta be durable...real durable. Most ain't

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #103 on: May 11, 2009, 09:30:15 AM »

I thought the green chick was gorgeous.....  ;)

Borderline burnout with questionable social skills
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #104 on: May 11, 2009, 09:37:25 AM »

From the ads I was under the impression it was Kirk & Uhura in bed but maybe that was done intentionally.

“Eyuh.”
Sylvie
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #105 on: May 11, 2009, 11:59:51 AM »

Just behind me at theatre, a small boy exclaimed : "Why is there Fiona (from "Shreck") in Star Trek ?  ;D

"If she looks back, that means she's interested . Come on now, give me a little look. One little glance back..."

2007 Movie journal
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #106 on: June 16, 2009, 11:16:00 AM »

Prequel, Retcon, Reinvention, any kind of green you like, take your pick then  ;)

***SPOILERS***  It's sort of both, isn't it?  It opens with the death of Kirk's father (that was a red flag for me right away) and continues on to the original characters' Starfleet Academy days.  We come to find out later that the timeline has been disrupted, changing their histories.

To be honest, I am not at all happy about this.  Once discovered, I assumed the task at hand would be to restore the timeline but I was mistaken and disappointed.  My disappointment is small in comparison to the enjoyment of the film and the fact that nothing will change that my favorite series is the original (well, just the 1st two seasons) and the best movies are The Wrath Of Khan, The Search For Spock and The Voyage Home (*honorable TNG mention: First Contact).

Since the timeline has been disrupted, Paramount and Shatner should jump at the opportunity to include Kirk in the next movie.  Anything's possible, right?  Perhaps in this new timeline Kirk didn't die but the premise of the movie would be to restore things back to the way they should be.  Most likely, in that scenario, we'd lose Kirk again but perhaps it would be a more fitting end than what we witnessed in Generations.

« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 07:57:18 AM by Brian Cooper » Logged

“Eyuh.”
Clint Van Wallach

Email
« Reply #107 on: June 16, 2009, 01:35:55 PM »

I liked the film as well.  And although this sounds a might cynical, I can't help but think one of the reasons the timeline was disrupted  is so writers of the inevitable sequels can have free reign with their stories.  They won't have to check every episode of the original series to avoid mistakes because, well maybe that episode didn't really happen because  the time line has been disrupted.
Now anything can happen.

Walt
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #108 on: June 16, 2009, 01:54:38 PM »

I liked the film as well.  And although this sounds a might cynical, I can't help but think one of the reasons the timeline was disrupted  is so writers of the inevitable sequels can have free reign with their stories.  They won't have to check every episode of the original series to avoid mistakes because, well maybe that episode didn't really happen because  the time line has been disrupted.
Now anything can happen.

Exactly !!! I think it's a masterstroke and a great movie. Nothing beats The Shat but this comes pretty damned close. It's nice to have the fun back in Star Trek.
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #109 on: June 17, 2009, 03:24:06 AM »

Now anything can happen.

You're probably right about that.  If that's the intention, I find it arrogant and even disrepectful.  If Gene Roddenberry were still with us, he may not have been able to change the storyline but I believe he would've been extremely vocal in his disapproval.

“Eyuh.”
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #110 on: June 17, 2009, 03:25:52 AM »

Exactly !!! I think it's a masterstroke and a great movie. Nothing beats The Shat but this comes pretty damned close. It's nice to have the fun back in Star Trek.

I agree, this movie was a lot of fun.  It felt good to attend a good Star Trek movie again.  O0

“Eyuh.”
Hammerhead

Get the hell out of the way, hammerhead.

View Profile Email
« Reply #111 on: June 18, 2009, 02:09:44 AM »

When I was at school a friend and I used to write and perform little songs together to fend off boredom at lunchtime. One of the songs we did was about Star Trek, and back in 1996 we made a little home recording of it.

I decided to make a video for it and stick it on youtube. Please bear in mind that this was basically an affectionate, if irreverant look at Trek from two fans who were schoolkids at the time.  :)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PI8kHbQmBw
Americanbeauty
Member Extraordinaire

There's a darkness inside all of us ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #112 on: June 20, 2009, 01:09:32 PM »

I had the chance to go to an advance screening of Star Trek a couple of weeks ago for work (then I wrote a review), and I thought the film was very good. I had never watched the show before, but the film made me want to do exactly that. That's the sign that JJ Abrams did a pretty good job, imo  ;)

Make-'em-run-around-the-block-howling-in-agony stunning

"He that hath no beard is less than a man, and he that is less than a man, I am not for him…" 'Much Ado About Nothing' Act 2, Scene I (William Shakespeare)

http://americanbphotography.tumblr.com/
Clint Van Wallach

Email
« Reply #113 on: September 06, 2009, 01:45:02 PM »

I received this in an email several years ago. I passed it along to Brian and Richard (can't imagine why I chose them!) but I never posted it. That's because it was sent to me without a link and cutting and pasting it took up way too much space.  I finally found a link for the article so here it is.
The top 10 list at the end is especially funny. :)  Oh, and there's a couple of F bombs in here too.

STAR TREK BOOZE

And for the record I don't subscribe to Modern Drunkard Magazine.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2009, 01:53:09 PM by CvW » Logged
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #114 on: November 18, 2009, 11:35:24 AM »

Being off today, I just watched the latest Star Trek movie on dvd. 
Wow, I was thrilled all over again!  I can't wait to see the sequels. 
For me, this one ranks as the best of the Star Trek movies.

“Eyuh.”
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #115 on: November 20, 2009, 01:31:57 AM »

Is there any talk of another Star trek movie..

Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #116 on: December 08, 2009, 02:25:14 PM »

Is there any talk of another Star trek movie..

I've heard the main players have all signed on for 2 sequels.

“Eyuh.”
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #117 on: December 09, 2009, 03:49:57 PM »

Remember the TNG episode, “Relics?”  Of course, since it aired in 1992, Scotty’s remark about Kirk getting the Enterprise “out of mothballs” to mount a rescue mission causes a continuity error once Generations was released 2 years later, whereas Kirk dies.  Ok, maybe too much Saurian Brandy…  Something else caught my attention.  When Scotty enters the holodeck and the computer asks which Enterprise, his response is “No bloody A, B, C or D!”  He then enters to a replicated TOS series Enterprise bridge. However, the refitted Enterprise was quite different as seen in the first 3 motion pictures, before Kirk blew it up to thwart the Klingons.  Of course, the argument could be made that it was 'refitted', which is why the holodeck chose the original TOS Enterprise.  Just an observation, really….

"No bloody A, B, C or D!"

Enterprise NCC 1701:  TOS

Enterprise NCC 1701:

The Motion Picture

The Wrath Of Khan   

The Search For Spock   

Enterprise NCC 1701-A:  The Voyage Home, The Final Frontier, The Undiscovered Country

Enterprise NCC 1701-B:  Generations

Enterprise NCC 1701-C:  Yesterday’s Enterprise   

Enterprise NCC 1701-D:  The Next Generation

Enterprise NCC 1701-D:  Generations

Enterprise NCC1701-E: First Contact, Insurrection, Nemesis

Enterprise NX-01:  Enterprise (tv series)   

Enterprise NCC 1701: Star Trek (2009)   

« Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 07:42:46 AM by Brian Cooper » Logged

“Eyuh.”
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #118 on: December 24, 2009, 09:25:50 AM »

Christmas eve, City on the Edge of Forever, my fave episode.... Perfect

Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #119 on: December 24, 2009, 10:11:03 AM »

Christmas eve, City on the Edge of Forever, my fave episode.... Perfect

That's funny, some years ago I started a tradition of watching at least one of the original Star Wars movies on Christmas Day  :D

Yeah, the 'city' episode is one of their best.  Enjoy and Happy Holidays!  O0

« Last Edit: December 24, 2009, 10:32:03 AM by Brian Cooper » Logged

“Eyuh.”
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T