News: Coming in 2021: CRY MACHO, directed by and starring Clint Eastwood!

« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Star Trek Appreciation Thread (TOS only please)  (Read 55237 times)
Phantomstranger
Member Extraordinaire

I Have A Horse, And The West Is Wide.

View Profile Email
« Reply #140 on: November 02, 2012, 04:30:44 PM »

Capt Kirk has always been my favorite "Trek" character and his death was totally useless in my opinion. Of course, in the new "Trek" timeline, they could always change Kirks future fate and maybe bring in Shatner for a cameo. (fingers crossed, all the way)

They'd never forget, the day the stranger rode into town.
Phantomstranger
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #141 on: November 02, 2012, 04:34:00 PM »

By the way, have you been here:

http://www.startrek.com/

The best place to get all the latest "Trek" news and info and they have a nice discussion forum as well.

Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #142 on: November 04, 2012, 06:40:18 AM »

By the way, have you been here:

http://www.startrek.com/

The best place to get all the latest "Trek" news and info and they have a nice discussion forum as well.

Yes, I have, thanks Phantomstranger.  I think I'm still a member, too.  However, I discovered not long after joining in on some of their topics that their discussion site isn't nearly as good as this one.  Way too much redundancy.  It drove me crazy and it was unpleasant.  Perhaps they've cleaned up in the past few years so perhaps it's worth another look.  As far as the site goes, I agree with you but am have been having a hard time accepting the new format.  Although it's been in place a while, I still prefer the old one.  

It's been so long, I can't recall my username and password so I just rejoined that site and will check 'em out again.  Thanks!
« Last Edit: November 04, 2012, 07:27:39 AM by Jed Cooper » Logged

“Eyuh.”
Phantomstranger
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #143 on: November 27, 2012, 08:57:40 PM »

Official synopsis for the new "Trek" film:

http://blastr.com/2012/11/star-trek-into-darkness-f.php

Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #144 on: December 06, 2012, 04:54:04 AM »

Thanks for that link.  I recently went to a screening of two episodes of Star Trek: The Next Generation from season 2.  It's a tie-in to the series being re-released with enhanced special effects.  The episodes were Q Who? and The Measure Of A Man.  I don't think TNG began to hit their stride until 3rd season, ironically enough, when the original series began to falter.  I enjoy seeing these on the big screen and will attempt to see the remainder of the series but don't see myself making the purchase of the series.  It's not so much the price as just not being as big a fan of any of the spinoffs.  It'll be great to catch them periodically on tv, though.

“Eyuh.”
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #145 on: January 13, 2013, 08:11:00 AM »

My wife and I recently went to see The Hobbit and a trailer for the new Star Trek film played before the movie.  I was pleasantly surprised.  It looks good and I'm looking forward to seeing this on IMAX too, as I did the previous Star Trek film.

“Eyuh.”
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #146 on: January 14, 2013, 04:41:42 AM »

I'd heard a rumor that the first 9 minutes of the new Star Trek film was going to play before The Hobbit.  Although disappointed I'd only seen a trailer, I was still happy enough to see just that.  It could be that the extensive preview is for IMAX only, as a friend of mine recently informed me he and his girlfriend went to see The Hobbit and were beginning to think they were in the wrong movie due to the extensive Star Trek preview.  Peter Jackson's latest film didn't/doesn't warrant me to pay the extra funds to experience it in IMAX.  So, the countdown to May begins.

“Eyuh.”
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #147 on: March 22, 2013, 12:05:20 PM »

Wow, 82 years old today and still going strong.  Happy birthday, Mr. Shatner.

This one's too funny.

It's funny how the years go by and I get used to the fact that the character of Captain Kirk has long been killed off.  Then, out of nowhere he makes an appearance on the televised 2013 Academy Awards ceremony!  The bit wasn't very funny but I did get a kick of Shatner's appearance, even though he resembles a latter day Scotty more than Kirk.

“Eyuh.”
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #148 on: April 04, 2013, 07:28:47 PM »

SO, there's a Star Trek conventon coming to Boston this June.  I haven't been to one in years and would like to attend with some friends.  I'm considering bringing my son, too.  I don't mind paying the admission price to browse around, mostly window shopping, seeing fans dressed up as their favorite characters and seeing various celebrities on stage sharing their experiences with the shows and movies.  What makes me sick is the gall of expecting to pay for an autograph and/or photo with any of these bozos that actually think there's nothing wrong with charging fans for something they should be gladly giving away for free.  It's not that I don't understand the concept, just that I don't agree with it in any way, shape or form. My 3 boyhood heroes, William Shatner, Clint Eastwood and yes, even Elvis if he were still alive can kiss my @$$ rather than my paying money for an autograph and or taking a photo with them. Either they do it out of their own generosity, thankfulness to their fans and goodness of their heart or they can bloody well BUGGER OFF. It's just not right, regardless of anybody in and out of the business that TRIES to justify it. SHAME on any and all celebrities for taking part in that crap. I consider them all idiots in that regard and can probably thank that moron Roger Clemens for starting that unfair, selfish, unreasonable bullsh*t.  Losers all. I'm going to write out my autograph on a handful of papers and tell them to pay me.  Let's see how they like it!  Here endeth the lesson.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 07:32:40 PM by Jed Cooper » Logged

“Eyuh.”
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« Reply #149 on: April 04, 2013, 09:51:46 PM »

I may be wrong but I think it's because a lot of people get an autograph pic just for the purpose of selling it on E Bay, so the true fans who line up for hours for an autograph to keep, suffer.

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #150 on: April 05, 2013, 07:09:52 AM »

I may be wrong but I think it's because a lot of people get an autograph pic just for the purpose of selling it on E Bay, so the true fans who line up for hours for an autograph to keep, suffer.

So what?! Who gives a free flying frogs' fat @$$ WHAT the fans do with their autographs and/or photos?! Save 'em, frame 'em, sell 'em, give 'em away, flush 'em down the toilet, set 'em on fire or wipe their @$$E$ with them. Fans should ABSOLUTELY, POSITIVELY, WITHOUT A DOUBT NEVER be charged for autographs and have their photo taken with celebrities. NEVER

“Eyuh.”
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« Reply #151 on: April 05, 2013, 11:30:17 PM »

Didn't mean to upset you. I'm sorry I posted.

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
Walt
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #152 on: April 06, 2013, 07:21:51 AM »

Don't be. Jed has his opinion but that's all it is and you're entitled to yours.
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #153 on: April 06, 2013, 08:13:02 AM »

My opinion would be that performing artists, sports stars and other celebrities are entitled to charge for what has become a valuable commercial commodity.
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #154 on: April 06, 2013, 10:25:23 AM »

No apology necessary, but thank you. It's not you I'm upset with, SK, rather, SELFISH celebrities.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2013, 11:03:49 AM by Jed Cooper » Logged

“Eyuh.”
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #155 on: April 06, 2013, 10:44:54 AM »

Don't be. Jed has his opinion but that's all it is and you're entitled to yours.

Correct, these are just opinions and as am I, you are both entitled to yours.

My opinion would be that performing artists, sports stars and other celebrities are entitled to charge for what has become a valuable commercial commodity.

Entertainers, sports figures, movie stars, celebrities, etc., ALREADY make MORE than enough money from contracts, ticket sales and product that in NO way justifies charging for autographs and photos. I find that extremely arrogant and as a fan it disgusts me. Ok, pre-printed photos sold at concerts and conventions is one thing, but NOT photos taken with a fans' own camera. At least Elvis NEVER took part in this shameless act.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2013, 02:08:59 PM by Jed Cooper » Logged

“Eyuh.”
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #156 on: April 15, 2013, 12:43:58 PM »

Blondie is N° 1 !  8)

" 50 Greatest Movie Entrances Of All Time "

http://www.totalfilm.com/features/50-greatest-movie-entrances-of-all-time/blondie-the-good-the-bad-the-ugly-1966

This one should have at least made the list.  I don't care where, just should've been on it, imo.

“Eyuh.”
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #157 on: April 16, 2013, 12:31:31 AM »

This one should have at least made the list.  I don't care where, just should've been on it, imo.

Is this a news item? Source?

[EDIT: This post and Jed Cooper's posts above and below it have been moved here from the "Eastwood in the press (minor mentions)" thread in the Eastwood News Forum]
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 02:37:55 AM by KC » Logged
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #158 on: April 16, 2013, 04:22:04 AM »

Is this a news item? Source?

I did provide higashimori's Quote from: on January 15, 2013, 10:51:41 PM:

Eastwood in the press (minor mentions)

My apologies for not giving details on the image.  To clarify, it is William Shatner portraying Admiral Kirk in Star Trek II: The Wrath Of Khan; his entrance at the beginning of the film after the Kobayashi Maru test taken by Lt. Saavik (Kirstie Alley), that included most (if not all) of the original series' cast.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 04:32:10 AM by Jed Cooper » Logged

“Eyuh.”
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #159 on: April 16, 2013, 05:08:02 AM »

Something I've thought about off and on over the years about 2 of the greatest sci-fi sagas:

#1: Star Trek vs Star Wars.  Let's put things into perspective: To quote Shatner, "Get a life!" Both are great and it doesn't matter which came first. To quote Elvis Presley, "There'a room enough for everybody" and that certainly applies here. I don't know that Star Wars owes any debt of gratitude to Star Trek. Perhaps a little, if any. Although Star Trek was building in popularity by leaps & bounds due to reruns on tv and conventions in the mid 1970's, Star Wars made science fiction super popular again in 1977.  I believe the film's success is what led to scrapping the original Star Trek series return to television and in turn being made into a major motion picture starring the entire original cast, which led not only to films that continue to be made to this day, but multiple television spinoffs.

To use a musical analogy, John Lennon stated that if it weren't for Elvis Presley, there wouldn't have been The Beatles. Sure, but The Fab Four revitalized rock 'n' roll, in turn helping to pave the way for Elvis' legendary 1968 comeback from mediocrity. So, like Elvis and The Beatles, Star Trek and Star Wars are great in their own right, each making up for the others' weaknesses.

#2 (finally!): Kirk's Death. BIG MISTAKE! It shouldn't have happened! Shame on Shatner, Paramount and all the other so-called geniuses for allowing that ridiculousness to take place. That closed the door for future appearances, ala Leonard Nimoy in 2009's Star Trek mega-hit. Killing off Star Trek'a most legendary character is a travesty and there's absolutely no logic in it! Now I'll quote Sean.Connery (Sha-Ka-Ree), "Here Endeth the lesson".

“Eyuh.”
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T