News: Now showing in theaters: CRY MACHO, directed by and starring Clint Eastwood!

« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 13 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Star Trek Appreciation Thread (TOS only please)  (Read 85372 times)
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #160 on: May 22, 2013, 02:36:56 PM »

I bought and listened to the newest Star Trek movie soundtrack yesterday.  I like this one better than the previous one.  I hope the same will go for the movie.

I was surprised to see the Blu-ray and 3D editions already being advertised on Best Buy when I did a search for the soundtrack.

“Eyuh.”
Phantomstranger
Member Extraordinaire

I Have A Horse, And The West Is Wide.

View Profile Email
« Reply #161 on: May 22, 2013, 08:06:22 PM »

"Star Trek Into Darkness"

I loved it! I've been a Trek fan since the sixties, so i'm no newbie fan and I thought this film was a blast. Great FX, terrific performances and a good story (loosely based on a classic series episode).A wonderful couple of hours

They'd never forget, the day the stranger rode into town.
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #162 on: May 23, 2013, 06:26:56 AM »

"Star Trek Into Darkness"

I loved it! I've been a Trek fan since the sixties, so i'm no newbie fan and I thought this film was a blast. Great FX, terrific performances and a good story (loosely based on a classic series episode).A wonderful couple of hours

Glad to hear you enjoyed it.  A friend of mine didn't like the last film and for the life of me I don't know why.  I thought it was very good and this one is shaping up to be even better.

“Eyuh.”
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #163 on: May 30, 2013, 09:45:47 AM »

What an ejoyable film!  Right now it's hard to say which is better, this or the previous Star Trek movie.  I like them both immensely and now that I've seen Into Darkness in standard theater screen format, would love to see it on IMAX.  I'm not sure that will happen between now and the time I see Man Of Steel but I'm just glad to be fortunate to have seen this movie on the big screen with friends.  I'd love to go into more detail but don't want to give anything away.  Another great installment to the series by all involved.  I want more!   8)

“Eyuh.”
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #164 on: June 13, 2013, 07:39:06 AM »

I’m going to voice my displeasure here regarding an unpleasant experience I had last Saturday at the Creation Star Trek Convention in Boston.  I’m sorely disappointed and decided to get it off my chest.  This is not meant to start a debate in any way, shape or form.  It’s my hope that the way they run these things will change in the near future and if I hear of this, will check into it and would love to attend again.  Sadly, this is much like a couple of local Beatles conventions I’d attended not long ago.  They were a shadow of what I’d experienced at the Beatles Fest in New Jersey back in ’97.  That was one of the best ones I’d ever been to.  I’ve heard that even those aren’t what they used to be.  That’s too bad, because it’d be nice to look forward to checking these out from time to time.

First of all, there was horrible crowd control.  There were no signs of where to go, leaving patrons guessing where to go and upon arrival, what was posted by way of what lines to get into for access weren’t very clear, either.  Once found, the line we were in was facing another line approaching us which only added to our confusion.  I noticed that some of the staff didn’t even know where to direct patrons upon inquiry.  Not good.  Once inside, the host (one of the Creation Convention co-founders) was very good and enthusiastic.  Next, one of the writers of a Next Generation episode entitled The Inner Light took the stage to share his thoughts and experiences.  Although interesting, the audio/visual presentation was horrible.  My large widescreen, flat television does a better job!  There is no excuse for such a shoddy job, especially since there have been far better a/v presentations in the past.  Once finished, a costume competition ensued and my wife’s uncle and I stayed for just the first part of that.  A lot of them were very nice but it was time to check out the dealer tables.  With regards to this, I noticed a change the last time I attended one of these back in 1996.  There weren’t as much merchandise, memorabilia, paraphernalia, etc. as in years past.  Last Saturday was the least I’d ever seen and the prices were outrageous for most of what was being offered.  A friend noted that Las Vegas hosts the best of these types of conventions and I don’t disagree.  He also noted that other cities will always be “mini-conventions” by comparison and that’s obviously true now but it wasn’t years ago.  Throughout the 80’s they were more frequent, with much more dealer tables to peruse.  The overall experience was pleasant and you didn’t come away feeling ripped off, like I did recently.  I left with a bad taste in my mouth, knowing how much more important it’s become for all involved to make as much money possible from the fans, be it from the high-priced merchandise and the unreasonable fees for autographs and/or photos that can be taken with celebrities in attendance.  In my opinion, fans shouldn’t be charged for the last two and I find it inexcusable for any celebrity, regardless of their level of fame and success, to have their fans pay for what should be offered gratuitously because like Elvis once said, “The fans, they make you or break you.”  I considered taking my 6 year old son but am so glad I didn’t.  I felt so bad that I apologized to my wife’s uncle, my friend and his wife repeatedly.  Although it’s not my fault that the experience was far more negative than positive, it was still my idea to attend.  I don’t see myself wasting time with something like this ever again.  Maybe, if a Star Wars convention comes by, I’ll look into it and see what’s in store first and if I find it worth my time, effort and money, I’d like to attend and bring Nicholas.  I know he’d enjoy it but not if it’s anything like the waste of time I experienced last Saturday. 

« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 08:33:34 AM by Jed Cooper » Logged

“Eyuh.”
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #165 on: July 05, 2013, 10:21:43 AM »

Well, I finally caved in.  I was hoping with the latest Star Trek movie that all 10 of TOS & TNG would be combined into one set including the Director’s Edition of TMP but no such luck.  Diana picked these up for me for Father’s Day.  Something tells me a more comprehensive set will be in the works sometime soon, maybe for the 50th anniversary of TOS, who knows?  At least these 2 sets and the one below have come down significantly in price since their initial release.

Next up is these puppies.

“Eyuh.”
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #166 on: March 04, 2014, 08:55:34 AM »

I've been watching the original series on Blu ray lately and am immensely pleased with the new special effects. 

“Eyuh.”
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #167 on: March 04, 2014, 12:12:49 PM »

Captain Christopher Pike

I haven't watched the first pilot on Blu ray yet, but segments are included in the only original series 2-part episode.  Entitled The Cage, it starred Jeffrey Hunter (left) as Captain Christopher Pike.  Sean Kenney (right) was brought in to play a seriously disfigured Pike in The Menagerie and the captain is hardly recognizable.

I'm not sure if these are true before and after shots, but you get the idea.

I can see why Kenney (left) was chosen to play Pike, even disfigured.  In his role as Lt. DePaul aboard the Enterprise, he does bear a close resemblence to Hunter.  Bruce Greenwood (right) has done a great job as Capt. Pike in the rebooted movie series.

« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 12:15:25 PM by Jed Cooper » Logged

“Eyuh.”
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #168 on: September 12, 2014, 06:33:56 AM »

I came across a couple of cool shots of Clint visiting the set of Star Trek: The Motion Picture with Kyle & Allison.

A couple more, probably taken just before or after.

“Eyuh.”
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #169 on: September 26, 2014, 07:39:30 AM »

Here’s some ‘what ifs’ for ya….

Leonard Nimoy in Hogan’s Heroes?

Pirates Of The Caribbean?

Die Hard?   

Harry Potter?

The Wild Wild West?

X-Men?       

Star Trek?  Oh, wait…..   ;)         

“Eyuh.”
LCat
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #170 on: October 05, 2014, 01:22:43 PM »

Is TOS

talk on subject
the original series

or something else?

LCat

Goals are Great!
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #171 on: October 05, 2014, 02:43:38 PM »

^^^The original series.  ;)

“Eyuh.”
LCat
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #172 on: October 05, 2014, 02:47:46 PM »

Thanks, JC!

LCat

Goals are Great!
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #173 on: October 05, 2014, 04:43:12 PM »

You're very welcome.  :)

“Eyuh.”
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

You gotta be durable...real durable. Most ain't

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #174 on: October 12, 2014, 05:47:23 AM »

Anyone else seen Shatner and Nimoy on this German VW ad.. ?

Borderline burnout with questionable social skills
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #175 on: October 14, 2014, 11:07:18 AM »

Anyone else seen Shatner and Nimoy on this German VW ad.. ?

I sought this out on Youtube over the weekend.  Fun watching, Gant, thanks.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=g5hgt0xrSbo

“Eyuh.”
Phantomstranger
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #176 on: October 29, 2014, 09:06:12 AM »

On October 24th , it was the 23rd anniversary of Gene Roddenberry's passing , so I spent the day watching the classic' Trek' episodes:

Wolf In The Fold (Kirk and crew vs Jack The Ripper)
The Doomsday Machine ( The Enterprise battles a giant cigar that will destroy everything.  A personal favorite)
Devil In The Dark (The Horta. Fantastic episode)
City On The Edge Of Forever ( The best hour of Trek ever produced. )

Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #177 on: October 29, 2014, 01:02:26 PM »

On October 24th , it was the 23rd anniversary of Gene Roddenberry's passing , so I spent the day watching the classic' Trek' episodes:

Wolf In The Fold (Kirk and crew vs Jack The Ripper)
The Doomsday Machine ( The Enterprise battles a giant cigar that will destroy everything.  A personal favorite)
Devil In The Dark (The Horta. Fantastic episode)
City On The Edge Of Forever ( The best hour of Trek ever produced. )

Good stuff!  I haven't been watching Trek since I finished watching the first season on Blu ray.  I think once the winter settles in I'll pick up where I left off.  I'm not a big fan of their final season but season 2 has a lot of great episodes.

“Eyuh.”
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #178 on: December 04, 2014, 09:47:23 AM »

Very nice.  I picked up mine recently at a local Stop & Shop.

Star Trek Collector's Issue Available Now

“Eyuh.”
Phantomstranger
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #179 on: December 05, 2014, 05:02:57 PM »

Very nice.  I picked up mine recently at a local Stop & Shop.

Star Trek Collector's Issue Available Now

Just got this myself. Loved it

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 13 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T