News: See SULLY, starring Tom Hanks, now streaming and on DVD and Blu-ray!

« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Star Trek Appreciation Thread (TOS only please)  (Read 33956 times)
B.C.
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #180 on: November 24, 2015, 04:44:08 AM »

I came across this over the weekend at Walmart and no, did not buy it.  I've finally, ultimately, decided to give up collecting.  I've been down this road before but now there really is no turning back as I've liquidated most of my collection of cds, dvds, Blu rays, magazines and books.  I've only kept music cds that I gravitate back to repeatedly, which made up about 10% of what I used to have.  The rest was overkill, really, and I don't miss it. 

This Star Trek set is the first of what's to come to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the show next year.  I'm sure there will be more movie sets coming, too, perhaps "The Motion Picture" being released on Blu ray for the first time.  Too little too late for me.  So I will be tested throughout the next year and once that's over, the marketing campaign to commemorate the 40th year of Elvis' passing begins and more tests of wills on my part for the year thereafter.  I'm sure there'll be a decent compilation that I'll consider but the days of having every single recording be it rarity, concert, tv, studio, etc. are at an end. 

Like the new Star Wars film, I'm very much looking forward to the newest Star Trek movie.  They've been very good thus far and I hope the trend continues.  I have to say I'm looking forward to Star Wars: The Force Awakens even more because my son enjoys Star Wars a lot.  He's seen all of the movies and watches the CGI Star Wars shows on tv.  He's definitely a fan but not obsessed like his old man was with Trek (thank God!).  I can't wait to watch The Force Awakens on the big screen with Nicholas, his first time seeing a Star Wars movie in the theater!  I CAN'T WAIT!  O0   

« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 04:55:03 AM by Jed [Brian] Cooper » Logged
B.C.
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #181 on: August 28, 2017, 11:43:18 AM »

I recently had surgery on my left knee to repair a torn meniscus, so I'll be laid up for a while and have decided to revisit the original Star Trek series.  For what little-to-nothing it's worth, I'll be watching the series in original air date order, posting my thoughts on each episode shortly thereafter.  I've watched the first two today and it's been fun revisiting the show.

All are invited to weigh in with your thoughts and opinions on your favorite and not so favorite episodes and characters.

I hope all is well with everyone. 😀

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
B.C.
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #182 on: August 28, 2017, 11:46:58 AM »

"Space: the final frontier. These are the voyages of the starship Enterprise. Its five-year mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no man has gone before."

B.C.
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #183 on: August 28, 2017, 11:49:12 AM »

9/08/66 (Original Airdate)

9/29/07 (Remastered Airdate)

The premiere episode of this science fiction series establishes two things from the outset, with regards to character study.  The Captain: Jim Kirk is a no-nonsense commander that runs a tight ship  who cares about his crew.  The First Officer and Doctor:  The stage is set to establish the friendship each has with their captain.  While only referred to in passing by Lt. Uhura to make a point with Mr. Spock, the opening dialogue between Kirk and McCoy, as well as the captain's apology to the doctor for having snapped at him demonstrates their loyalty to one another as colleagues and friends.  There are elements of this that reminds me of The Twilight Zone.  It's a good story that keeps the viewer interested and entertained.

« Last Edit: August 28, 2017, 12:07:28 PM by B.C. » Logged
B.C.
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #184 on: August 28, 2017, 12:08:48 PM »

9/15/66 (Original Airdate)

7/14/07 (Remastered Airdate)

A test of wills between an adolescent human/alien and a starship captain.  Robert Walker was great as the young, insecure boy trying to fit in.  Always enjoyable to watch, one of the series' best episodes.

B.C.
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #185 on: August 28, 2017, 10:27:13 PM »

9/22/66 (Original Airdate)

1/20/07 (Remastered Airdate)

Although the third episode aired, this was actually the second pilot filmed as ordered by NBC executives.  This explains the different look in the crew uniforms and interior of the ship.

TV and movie buffs will recognize some familiar faces here.  Gary Lockwood later appeared in the 1968 science fiction epic 2001: A Space Odyssey.  Sally Kellerman was the original Margaret "Hot Lips" Houllihan in the 1970 comedy,
M*A*S*H.  Lloyd Haynes is best known for his role as teacher Pete Dixon on television's Room 222 and Paul Fix played opposite Chuck Connors as Marshal Micah Torrance in the iconic western television series, The Rifleman.

After having rejected Roddenberry's first pilot, "The Cage", NBC gave the green light for Star Trek after viewing his second attempt.

B.C.
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #186 on: August 28, 2017, 11:24:06 PM »

9/29/66 (Original Airdate)

9/30/06 (Remastered Airdate)

This episode could just as easily have been entitled "True Colors".  A disease contracted from a careless landing party crew member infects most of the crew, causing them to reveal their innermost demons and desires.

An infected Lt. Kevin Riley shuts down the Enterprise's engines while in dangerously close orbit to Psi 2000's atmosphere, the doomed planet where the disease was discovered to have originated from. 

While McCoy has discovered a cure and begins administering it to the crew, Kirk and Spock devise a way to cold start the Enterprise engines, ultimately saving the crew and ship and discovering they have found a method to travel back in time at will. 

The story takes place mostly aboard the Enterprise and the suspense and stress of the situation comes through very well.

« Last Edit: August 28, 2017, 11:27:02 PM by B.C. » Logged
B.C.
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #187 on: September 01, 2017, 10:38:49 PM »

10/06/66 (Original Airdate)

1/26/08 (Remastered Airdate)

So, the "evil" Kirk is violent, demanding and arrogant.   He demands Saurian Brandy from Dr. McCoy, nearly rapes his personal yeoman, Janice Rand and assaults various crew members.

We learn the "good" Kirk, who is caring, reflective and empathetic, cannot exist without his evil side.  Properly controlled in one body, this is what embodies one of the Federations'  perfect Starfleet Captains.  He is the quintessential courageous and compassionate commander.

A good vs. evil character study delivered very well in this format.

« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 10:43:05 PM by B.C. » Logged
B.C.
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #188 on: September 08, 2017, 07:30:57 AM »

10/13/66 (Original Airdate)

4/26/08 (Remastered Airdate)

Leo Walsh is a space-age mail order bride broker.  His real name is Harry Mudd, and can be more accurately described as a pirate.  Harry is an amusing character, very sneaky and untrustworthy.  His "cargo" is a nice, albeit potentially dangerous, distraction for the Enterprise crew.

For the first time I noticed a flaw.  Scotty, Spock and McCoy are at the transporter controls when the three beautiful women are beamed aboard at the beginning of the episode.   In one of McCoy's reaction shots, he's standing in Sickbay...with a different shirt on!   The subsequent reaction shot returns back to him in the Transporter Room with original shirt.  Too funny.  That's the first time I ever noticed that.

In all, a very good episode.  Amusing and entertaining.

B.C.
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #189 on: September 09, 2017, 08:21:12 PM »

10/20/66 (Original Airdate)

10/06/07 (Remastered Airdate)

The seventh episode aired of the first season involves another duplicate Captain Kirk.  The story is just as convincing here as it was in "The Enemy Within". 

The unmistakable voice of Ted Cassidy can be heard in the character of Ruk, one of Dr. Korby's android protectors.  Cassidy is best known as Lurch on The Addams Family.  Andrea is played by gorgeous Sherry Jackson, who was known to tv fans as the daughter to Danny Thomas' character on Make Room For Daddy.

Great acting by Michael Strong, as Dr. Roger Korby.

« Last Edit: September 09, 2017, 08:24:07 PM by B.C. » Logged
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #190 on: September 09, 2017, 09:50:55 PM »

A brief interruption of this recapitulative series ...

Review: Fox’s ‘The Orville’ is Star Trek, the Next Regurgitation  :D

Going where at least one show has gone before: from left, Seth MacFarlane, Penny Johnson Jerald, Adrianne Palicki, Halston Sage and Brian George in “The Orville,” beginning Sunday on Fox. Credit Fox, via Associated Press

The first question a lot of people will have about “The Orville,” Seth MacFarlane’s first live-action television series — “Aren’t you afraid of being sued by the folks who own ‘Star Trek’?” — was asked and answered last month at the Television Critics Association press tour. Dana Walden, the Fox TV chief executive, gave a long reply that included the phrase, “We obviously have a big legal team.”

So yes, Fox is aware that Mr. MacFarlane’s hourlong comedy emulates the original “Trek” series to a degree somewhere between sincere homage and creepy necrophilia. Its sets, costumes and characters are so Trekker-esque that it makes this fall’s officially sanctioned “Star Trek: Discovery” (on CBS All Access) look like a radical departure.

Brian, do you plan to watch?
B.C.
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #191 on: September 10, 2017, 04:10:07 PM »

^^^Yes, I'll check it out.  I hope they pull it off.  It'd be nice to see a decent parody on a weekly basis.   The last such attempt didn't fare so well, Richard Benjamin starring in Quark in 1977.  It only lasted one season.  I'll probably see more of The Orville then Star Trek: Discovery because with the exception of the premiere episode, the latter won't be available on network television.  Cable is expensive enough for me to bother paying extra for one series that I'm unsure about.  The other Star Trek spinoffs are fine but I haven't gone out of my way to watch every episode.

« Last Edit: Today at 09:37:47 AM by B.C. » Logged
B.C.
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #192 on: September 10, 2017, 04:11:52 PM »

10/27/66 (Original Airdate)

9/16/06 (Remastered Airdate)

In response to a distress signal the senior officers, captain's yeoman and two security officers beam down to a planet almost identical to Earth.

They discover the inhabitants are only children and that once they reach puberty, don't have much longer to live. 

Being adults, the landing party is automatically infected and are tasked with finding a cure before it's too late. 

Two of William Shatner's daughter appear in this episode, Lisabeth and Melanie. 

Kim Darby would go on to appear in the western film True Grit, with none other than the iconic John Wayne.

« Last Edit: September 16, 2017, 08:37:37 AM by B.C. » Logged
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

His job ..... steal it.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #193 on: September 11, 2017, 10:55:13 PM »

Miri is a great upside... Often not shown here in the UK I believe

Borderline burnout with questionable social skills
B.C.
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #194 on: September 15, 2017, 11:37:04 AM »

11/03/66 (Original Airdate)

10/13/07 (Remastered Airdate)

A madman is on the loose on board the Enterprise.  He is an escapee from a rehabilitation facility on Tantalus V during a routine cargo drop.  Not a patient, Dr. Simon Van Gelder is an employee. 

This revelation forces Kirk to investigate and Dr. Tristan Adams is exposed for abusing his position as director of the Tantalus Penal Colony by conducting abusive experiments with the "Neural Neutralizer".

Veteran tv actors James Gregory and Morgan Woodward perform convincingly in their roles as Dr's Adams and Van Gelder, respectively.  Woodward would return to Star Trek, in a different role and I remember Gregory's recurring appearances on Barney Miller as Detective Frank Luger.  Although unrecognizable in 1970's Beneath The Planet Of The Apes, his unmistakable voice can be heard in his characterization of Ursus.  "The only good human is a dead human!"

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T