News: Now showing in theaters: CRY MACHO, directed by and starring Clint Eastwood!

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Eastwood shooting a new movie on Nanking massacre?  (Read 5255 times)

View Profile Email
« on: January 19, 2006, 09:21:36 PM »

Clint Eastwood is going to make a new film based on the Nanking massacre by Japanese army in 1937?

This news just got around Japan and China.

Quote(originally Cantonese and Japanese)
> Shooting of a new Hollywood movie based on the Nanking massacre
> by Japanese army will launch shortly. The movie will be release on December
> 2007 at the same timing of the seventieth anniversary of the incident.
> ...
> This movie will be directed by Clint Eastwood and Meryl Streep is
> planed to play the heroine.

This article was published on the website of recognized newspapers in Tokyo, Taipei and Shanghai on the afternoon of January 19th. I soon started to search the Internet trying to find more detailed information on this movie, but mysteriously I do not see anything connecting Eastwood, Streep and Nanking(or Nanjing?).

So some people are starting to doubt about this news.

Has anyone ever heard of this film?
I would appreciate any info about this movie.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2006, 06:40:13 AM by Topo » Logged
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2006, 10:14:58 PM »

Topo, can you provide a link to the original story (even if it's in Cantonese and/or Japanese)?  ???

First I've heard of it.

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2006, 10:31:09 PM »

This was where I saw the news in Japanese,

http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20060118-00000312-yom-ent&kz=ent

As you can see from the URL, this is Yahoo Japan and that is why I feel this is somewhat straight. I also have seen the same article in Chinese/Taiwan newspapers.

I tried an automatic translation of the article above, and here is the result of it;
(auto-translation by exicite - http://www.excite.co.jp/world/english/)

-------------------------------------------------------

To the Nanjing event and Hollywood film … The Meryl Streep appearance.

Sea = Tacashisoc Kato ..【.. 】It was clarified that the production of Hollywood film that made the Nanjing event in 1937 by Japan's now-defunct Army a theme was decided, and the event was open to the public to December next year simultaneously in the world according to 70 years.

Shanghai paper "Ayaayahou" dated the 18th reported.

The title of the movie is a story according to this paper and a cultural Chiangsu province industrial group that does the production cooperation where the murder act to the Chinese whom Japan's now-defunct Army did is drawn by "Nanjing and Christmas 1937" through eyes of the American missionary in Nanjing at that time. C. Eastwood serves as the supervisor, and the appearance of Meryl Streep who co-starred in this Mr. and "The Bridges of Madison County" is scheduled.

"Nanjing massacre anniversary" of Japan's now-defunct Army is December 13 in China when Nanjing was encircled, and various events are scheduled to be held next year hit in 70.
(the Yomiuri Shimbun) - Update at 23:27 January 18

-------------------------------------------------------

P.S. i did not realize i could modify the posted article
« Last Edit: January 20, 2006, 06:39:45 AM by Topo » Logged
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2006, 11:04:50 PM »

P.S. yes, i already have noticed my misspelling of "heroine" please don't pick
It's OK. ;)

Thanks for posting! We'll soon see if there is any truth to this.
Adam S.
Member Extraordinaire

I just go BESERK!

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2006, 09:23:13 PM »

If it is true, I think it will be interesting.

"I live in a room with a green radio
Curled in the womb of a 29-year low
Four walls from Heaven and one sin from Hell
In room 17 at Deguello Motel"

Roger Alan Wade
Holden Pike
Member Extraordinaire

"If they move, kill 'em."

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2006, 11:12:21 PM »

And if it is true I guess I'll have to eat my words about Clint not ever doing a fun, light comedy again.

"We're not gonna get rid of anybody. We're gonna stick together, just like it used to be. When you side with a man you stay with him, and if you can't do that you're like some animal, you're finished. We're all finished."
Kumara

"What is now proved was once only imagined" Blake

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2006, 01:13:02 PM »

Hi everyOne here!
It's my 1st msg on this board: I'm a real admirer of Mr. Eastwood work, and I'm quite excited at the idea of his new artistic 'adventures'; I know he should be in post production for his 'Flags' (a true great subject!) but I'm not sure at which point he is in the making of the Japanese version on the Iwo Jima battle (it should be called 'Red Sun, Black Sand'), but I have a thought that may be proven right: I've read the Jap troops on Iwo were veterans of the Manchurian front, under the great general Tadamichi Kuribayashi, a true Samurai, master of the Imperial house, who had been in the States for many years as well; beside there was also Baron Takeichi Nishi, the Playboy of the Eastern World, commanding the Japanese Tanks regiment on Iwo, who was a kind of flamboiant officer who had been an Olympic champion on his horse, and had many affairs with Hollywood stars in the 30's while staying in the US... Wouldn't be possible he is also going to tell us this deep story about these japanese gentlemen, starting on the background of the Japanese war against China? Or is it even possible these same soldiers had a part in the killings of 300000 by blades in Nanking?

Maj/Sgt Choozoo: You will be there Gunnery Seargant Thomas Highway. Stand tall, look sharp and wear all your ribbon so that people can see a dumb f*ck hero who isn't bleeding to death.
G/Sgt Highway: Let's find the bar.
Lilly
Member Extraordinaire

"If she looks back..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2006, 01:27:31 PM »

Hi Kumara, and welcome to the board. :)

Yes, maybe there is some mix-up between the Iwo Jima movie and Nanking.  Dunno where Meryl Streep would come in though.  I've googled a bit more just now, and still see no mention of this in the English language media. ???
Kumara

"What is now proved was once only imagined" Blake

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2006, 09:01:34 AM »

Well, actually I'm almost to the last page of the excellent reading of 'Flags' and I'm realising it's NOT a battle's history ALONE: mostly it's concerned about the flag risers' lives BEFORE and AFTER the carnage: of course also the relevant events occurring during the battle are described, so to lead the reader to fully appreciate the reality and reactions of different characters to that event (the raising of a replacement flag), and the commotion made by the press and the medias of the time, beside the government, just because of 'The Photograph', an excellent shot as it may be. Given the fact our Hero, Mr. Eastwood, would probably follow that lead in the first movie, we can also assume he will not be strictly bound by the story of a single battle (Iwo Jima), but would possibly travel through some individuals' paths as they unfold with those of a Nation, of a People, of a Culture and of History, etc.
Let's see!  8)
« Last Edit: January 24, 2006, 07:28:46 AM by Kumara » Logged

Maj/Sgt Choozoo: You will be there Gunnery Seargant Thomas Highway. Stand tall, look sharp and wear all your ribbon so that people can see a dumb f*ck hero who isn't bleeding to death.
G/Sgt Highway: Let's find the bar.
gwb, pt deux

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2006, 10:06:19 AM »

http://english.cctv.com/program/cultureexpress/20060410/101517.shtml

"There are plans in Hollywood to make a movie depicting the 1937 Nanjing massacre. Movie producers are talking with Hollywood star Clint Eastwood, in hope that he'll take the lead. In today's "List", let's meet the man who earns his tough-guy reputation both in front and behind the camera..."

Anyone else hear of this?
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2006, 05:39:53 PM »

Thanks for posting, gwb, pt deux. This seems to go with an earlier topic we had about a rumor in the Japanese and Chinese press that Eastwood would direct a movie on this subject. I've merged the two topics.
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2006, 01:53:36 AM »

Update on this film,although still no confirmation that Clint and Meryl Streep will appear but now it looks like it will be directed by Simon West.

moviehole.net

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2006, 07:05:21 AM »

Thanks, tgy. Not to get anybody's hopes up before clicking the link ... Movie hole just says that "Clint Eastwood, Meryl Streep, Michelle Yeoh and Zhang Ziyi are being courted to star in the $40 million dollar film adaptation of Iris Chang’s "The Rape of Nanking," and Movie hole's source, something called MonkeyPeaches.com, just says "The cast list has not been finalized but the producers have hope Clint Eastwood, Meryl Streep, Michelle Yeoh and Zhang Ziyi to sign on [sic]."
antonis
Member Extraordinaire

I'm afraid you have misjudged me...

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2006, 01:51:40 PM »

Please god...let a starring role come true.

a MAN has got to know his public's expectations...
Brendan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2006, 12:10:04 AM »

I highly doubt Eastwood would star in it and let himself be directed by the man who brought us such classics as Con Air and Tomb Raider.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T