News: See Eastwood's latest, THE 15:17 TO PARIS, coming on DVD May 22!

« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] Go Down Print
Author Topic: What was the last record you bought.  (Read 28502 times)
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

His job ..... steal it.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #140 on: May 02, 2017, 01:07:08 PM »

I'm playing more records than ever Jed.. They just sound so much better and that's the main reason..
I've been buying lots of 45's recently too..

Borderline burnout with questionable social skills
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #141 on: May 02, 2017, 01:17:55 PM »

That's great, man!  If I do, it'll be for nostalgic reasons and nothing wrong with that.  Will be interesting to hear the sound but I still prefer CDs and now Spotify.  A major convenience is not having to turn the record over.  Still, I'll keep on the lookout.   45s sure do bring back a lot of memories, too. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

His job ..... steal it.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #142 on: May 03, 2017, 02:05:09 AM »

The turning point for me was listening to the Beatles on cd and realising how incredibly weak and thin the sound was.. I dug out the old albums and they were so superior. I've pretty much dumped all my cd's tho I still download more recent music that has been recorded digitally..

Chuck Berry on 45 sounds incredible too..

Gant
Member Extraordinaire

His job ..... steal it.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #143 on: May 06, 2017, 01:12:14 AM »

Just picked this up on 45.. Latter Bobby Darin track. Long Low Rider.  Excellent !

Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

The real me

View Profile Email
« Reply #144 on: May 06, 2017, 05:04:46 PM »

Those that know me well enough here know what vinyl purchases I'd make first, but these 3 classics come to mind as well. 

What's the middle one?

I've probably mentioned before about liking Cosmo's Factory somewhere on the board. I know I've mentioned liking Creedence Clearwater Revival, and of course last year I saw John Fogerty in concert and posted about it. My dad had the cassette of it and would play "I Heard it Through the Grapevine" for me.
Richard Earl
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #145 on: May 21, 2017, 07:22:19 PM »

What's the middle one?

I've probably mentioned before about liking Cosmo's Factory somewhere on the board. I know I've mentioned liking Creedence Clearwater Revival, and of course last year I saw John Fogerty in concert and posted about it. My dad had the cassette of it and would play "I Heard it Through the Grapevine" for me.

The middle album is Led Zeppelin 4. Great album! There is this one song on the album called Stairway to Heaven that I alsolutely love.  :)

Music speaks louder then words. It's the only thing that the whole world listens to. (Peter, Paul & Mary)
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #146 on: May 22, 2017, 07:09:52 AM »

Thanks, Richard and sorry about that, Christopher.  I incorrectly assumed everyone knew that album cover.  Led Zeppelin IV, aka "Runes" is fantastic, as is Abbey Road and Cosmo's Factory.

I still prefer Spotify and CDs over vinyl but it's great revisiting the format, which I did this past weekend to great delight.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 08:38:01 AM by B.C. » Logged
Doug
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

"May I make a suggestion..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #147 on: May 22, 2017, 02:33:05 PM »

What's the middle one?

In the Led Zeppelin appreciation thread I wrote about that album:

Led Zeppelin’s fourth album was released November 8, 1971.

Quite simply it is their masterpiece.  It’s the album which features “Stairway to Heaven,” the one song most every one can name of Led Zeppelin’s, and the song which consistently tops classic rock station’s “number one song of all-time” lists.  Although that honor has grown less frequent in recent years simply because the song has been played so many times on rock stations that, well, people have grown tired of it.  Nonetheless, the song is quite an achievement, everything aside, and how I wish I could take away a few hundred playings of that song so that I could once again appreciate all its grandeur and beauty.  And unless someone really, really wants to hear the song because they don’t know it, I won’t even bother posting a link to it.  Overall, it’s hard to comprehend how one band over the course of writing and recording one album could have come up with so many incredible songs.  It’s easy to become blase about the song list if you’re like me and you’ve heard these songs hundreds of times flipping the LP over and over again as a teenager and then over the years having heard the songs countless other times on the radio, but even so, if I’m in the car and catch on the radio “Black Dog,” or “Rock and Roll” or “When the Levee Breaks,” or any of the magical songs on this album, I'm cranking up the volume and for those few minutes I'm transported to a whole other world.

Not only is the music on this album incredible, but it’s the whole mystique of the album that captures you and transports you.  First of all, there’s no mention of Led Zeppelin on the album cover -- what you get instead is simple artwork that is both dark and enigmatic.  You open up the original album cover and there is an ominous depiction of The Hermit, from the Tarot deck.  Those diehard, impressible teens buying the album have now been presented with mysteries to solve and images to take on as their own.  The listener is being welcomed into a whole other realm of existence.  And then there are the symbols that represent the title of the album, symbols that were inspired by the occult, whose meanings are open for all kinds of interpretation and speculation.  Even the title of the album is a mystery.  It's been called by many titles, including “Led Zeppelin IV” (the most sensible title), “Zoso” (based on the symbol for Jimmy Page), “Untitled,” “Four Symbols,”  and “Runes,” to name the most common.  Its proper title, of course, is  the esoteric symbols that are impossible to duplicate on any keyboard, representing all four members of the band.  However, Led Zeppelin IV will do. 

The album followed the disappointing (to many) album Led Zeppelin III, and has gone on to sell 22-plus million copies worldwide, making it one of the top selling albums of all-time.  Despite all of the overplay this album has received on the radio, I still love, and get thrilled by, the songs on this album.  No, it’s not my “favorite” album of Led Zeppelin, but it’s the one that still continues to amaze me more than any other.  It’s the standard by which all hard rock/heavy metal must be judged, and I don’t ever see it being topped -- the bar is just too high. 

Pictures:

The complete album cover when opened up:

The inside album cover (sorry, this is the only picture I could find on the internet and what is impossible to see in this picture is the man bowing down at the foot of the mountain before "The Hermit"):

The “four symbols” (each representing a member of the band, in this order: Jimmy Page, John Paul Jones, John Bonham, Robert Plant):

The song list:

1. Black Dog
2. Rock And Roll
3. The Battle Of Evermore
4. Stairway To Heaven
5. Misty Mountain Hop
6. Four Sticks
7. Going To California
8. When The Levee Breaks

"Yes, well, when I see five weirdos dressed in togas stabbing a guy in the middle of a park in full view of a hundred people, I shoot the bastards, that's my policy."  Frank Drebin, Police Squad.
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

The real me

View Profile Email
« Reply #148 on: May 24, 2017, 03:48:35 PM »

Thanks, I'm familiar with Led Zeppelin and several songs from that album, but didn't recognize the cover. I would recognize some of their album covers, specifically some of the ones I remember seeing CDs of in stores (like Houses of the Holy and Physical Graffiti). The only Zeppelin CDs I've ever owned were the "Best of" CDs for the "Early Days" and "Latter Days."
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

His job ..... steal it.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #149 on: June 01, 2017, 10:07:25 AM »

For all you Jazz lovers (Clint.. you out there..?)

i wished on the moon by Allison Neale

Beautifully played and recorded album very much in the west coast mould.. Ive only just discovered her, hope I get to see her play live soon..

Def recommended..

Gant
Member Extraordinaire

His job ..... steal it.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #150 on: June 20, 2017, 11:28:07 PM »

Tony Bennett singing a song from the movie Chitty Chitty Bang Bang..with the merest hint of Jazz..

Hushabye Mountain

Richard Earl
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #151 on: June 25, 2017, 06:41:13 PM »

In the Led Zeppelin appreciation thread I wrote about that album:

I have always thought that Battle of Evermore is a masterpiece.

Music speaks louder then words. It's the only thing that the whole world listens to. (Peter, Paul & Mary)
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

His job ..... steal it.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #152 on: December 03, 2017, 06:05:02 AM »

The Best of the Everly Brothers..

Picked this up cheap ina charity shop. Mint condition too..

Listening to it it strikes me that the Everly's were quite as considerable an influence on The Beatles as Buddy Holly was..

Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #153 on: December 08, 2017, 06:44:50 AM »

Since purchasing a turntable last May, my vinyl collection has been growing.  For the most part, I’ve been selecting classic 60’s & 70’s rock music.  It’s great experiencing vinyl again.  Opening that first album, placing it on the turntable and needle to vinyl sure brought me back in time. 

For me, the sound isn’t obviously above and beyond an improvement over any other source I’ve experienced in the past.  It’s certainly no better than cd. 

With technology being the way it is, I think it’s great being able to access music from various sources, be compact disc, digitally, on vinyl and/or radio. 

Out of what I’ve collected since beginning, Fleetwood Mac’s Rumours album is a favorite.  It’s the second record I purchased since returning to the vinyl bandwagon and now an all time favorite.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

His job ..... steal it.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #154 on: December 09, 2017, 08:36:16 AM »

Hi Jed.. I'm surprised you don't hear much difference in sound quality between vinyl and cd/download..

I think theres quite a big difference, especially with older music not recorded digitally.. A lot of detail and quality is lost when music is compressed, as it has to be to fit onto other formats. Only vinyl gives the true sound as was originally intended.. . On those other formats your just not getting the full picture.. I remember being very surprised and dissapointed  by  Beatles recordings on early cd releases. I'm sure they've improved now but are still inferior to a decent vinyl release..

Gant
Member Extraordinaire

His job ..... steal it.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #155 on: February 23, 2018, 05:51:06 AM »

Mr Groovy
Hugo Montenegro

Been after this for ages... Mr Montenegro gives us coolio moog and funky synthesisers....

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T