News: Now showing in theaters: CRY MACHO, directed by and starring Clint Eastwood!

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Monopoly Question  (Read 2548 times)
Brendan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« on: December 26, 2006, 12:07:16 PM »

Is it ok to hide money during the game? You know like put a couple of hundreds in your pocket to bluff people when your bidding on properties? I did that yesterday and I bid $600 and my girlfriend was like," You don't have $600." "Yeah I do." Then my mom said, "What? In your pocket?" "Yep." And then all hell broke loose. Needless to say the game ended right there. Clearly I don't see how it's wrong to hide money. You're bluffing people. You're making them think you don't have enough money so if they let you have it you'll have to mortgage like crazy. I've played like this for years and so have some of my friends. Is it wrong? No where in the rules does it say you can't hide money or your properties.

And I came across this as well:
Q. Is the amount of money a player has public knowledge?

From Erik Arneson,
Your Guide to Board / Card Games.

A. No. There is no requirement to let other players know how much money you have.

Obviously, you can't cheat by hiding money when you owe rent or must pay something to the bank, but on the other hand you don't need to advertise how much money you have.
Conan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

JP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2006, 08:55:40 PM »

Its like this...If your in The World Series of Monopoly, then you hide money.  And yes, its legal in my book.

But c'mon man, its your girlfriend.   8)

Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2006, 08:58:11 PM »

But c'mon man, its your girlfriend.   8)

And his mom. And on Christmas, yet!  :o
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2006, 09:02:11 PM »

I remember my brother and I used to hide up a little money. O0
Richard Earl
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2006, 11:51:58 PM »

It is not in the rules at all man. They were just bent out of shape.

Music speaks louder then words. It's the only thing that the whole world listens to. (Peter, Paul & Mary)
Doug
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

"May I make a suggestion..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2006, 07:08:22 AM »

Is it ok to hide money during the game? You know like put a couple of hundreds in your pocket to bluff people when your bidding on properties? I did that yesterday and I bid $600 and my girlfriend was like," You don't have $600." "Yeah I do." Then my mom said, "What? In your pocket?" "Yep." And then all hell broke loose. Needless to say the game ended right there. Clearly I don't see how it's wrong to hide money. You're bluffing people. You're making them think you don't have enough money so if they let you have it you'll have to mortgage like crazy. I've played like this for years and so have some of my friends. Is it wrong? No where in the rules does it say you can't hide money or your properties.

And I came across this as well:

Sorry, Brendan, I gotta side with you mom and girlfriend here.  It's wrong.  And you can tell them I said so.   :)

"Yes, well, when I see five weirdos dressed in togas stabbing a guy in the middle of a park in full view of a hundred people, I shoot the bastards, that's my policy."  Frank Drebin, Police Squad.
Lilly
Member Extraordinaire

"If she looks back..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2006, 09:18:34 AM »

I'm with Brendan on this one; nothing wrong with using a little business savvy to keep your assets to yourself. :P

My mates at uni used to get similarly annoyed when I sat on a £500 note. ;D  It's up to your opponents to keep an eye on your holdings and be alert to any apparent changes!
Brendan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2006, 11:31:35 AM »

My mates at uni used to get similarly annoyed when I sat on a £500 note. ;D  It's up to your opponents to keep an eye on your holdings and be alert to any apparent changes!

Exactly. It's not my problem if the other people are not paying attention. It's just like if you land on someone's property, you don't have to say anything. If the next person rolls you don't owe that person rent anymore.
Conan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

JP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2006, 09:47:54 AM »

Exactly. It's not my problem if the other people are not paying attention. It's just like if you land on someone's property, you don't have to say anything. If the next person rolls you don't owe that person rent anymore.

I'm guessing that after this ridiculous argument with your girlfriend, you didn't pass "go" later that evening.   8)

A few weeks ago when it was raining cats and dogs outside I played a girl that I'm semi-dating at Trivial Pursuit.  Its fun and the rules are pretty easy, try that one out for a rainy Sunday board-game date instead.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T