News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Advice on buying a digital camera  (Read 3229 times)
Lilly
Member Extraordinaire

"If she looks back..."

View Profile Email
« on: April 12, 2007, 10:30:24 AM »

Next month I might splash on a digital camera.  It's driving me nuts not being able to record things for posterity, and share online.  Haven't got one before because I really want a fully manual SLR, but I'm now thinking that until I can get that I'll get a reasonable mid range one, as they seem to have come down in price quite a bit.  (I am comforting myself because I had planned to be in D.C. this week but didn't quite make it. :()

So, has anyone got any advice/recommendations?  I'd probably go up to about £250 depending on value, but if there's decent for less, so much the better.  Heard good things about Nikon Coolpix but the designs have changed since then.
Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2007, 02:40:58 AM »

I am thinking of buying a digital camera too, Lilly, so any help you receive I will reading with interest.    Shame you were not able to get to DC, still the camera will be a "lasting comfort"  ;D ;D

I was looking for a SLR too as that is more fun.  My old SLR camera's built in light meter has finally died beyond repair and there are one or two other problems with it so I suppose it is time I pensioned it off. :(
Lilly
Member Extraordinaire

"If she looks back..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2007, 02:52:49 AM »

Yeah I'm attached to my old manual SLR which is a lot better than the more expensive one I bought in 2001 - Robert Kincaid coulda told me that!  But you never take as many photos when you have to develop them, and it isn't the same for sharing online.  I've spent countless hours scanning, and you never get the same quality.  I can't wait to be able to click and upload.

It does seem that some new digital cameras are very good and you can get some great pics without spending too much at all.  The photos thread shows that there are some good photographers on here so I thought they might know a thing or two.
Doug
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

"May I make a suggestion..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2007, 05:20:40 AM »

Here's a link to Kim Komando's website where she talks about digital cameras, which may help.   And you can click on the links to read articles on related topics like lens and whatnot. 

http://www.komando.com/buyguide/index.aspx?id=2168

I'm definitely not an expert here myself, and I just bought a decent digital camera for a couple hundred bucks, but for a few hundred more I could have gotten so much more.  To take professional quality pictures you'd be looking at a thousand dollar camera. 

"Yes, well, when I see five weirdos dressed in togas stabbing a guy in the middle of a park in full view of a hundred people, I shoot the bastards, that's my policy."  Frank Drebin, Police Squad.
Lilly
Member Extraordinaire

"If she looks back..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2007, 05:53:33 AM »

Thanks Doug.  Yeah I plan on getting a decent one later (they are about £700 at the moment), but figured I'd get a compact in the interim.  Maybe I should wait till I go on holiday to the U.S. as the exchange rate is pretty good at the moment.
Canadian Lady
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2007, 07:33:55 AM »

Well, we have a Canon A95 Powershot and we really like it. I love the flip out screen. And it seems to take clear pics! Most of my pics on the photo thread are from this camera. We bought it around 2 yrs ago for around $400. I think they have gone down since then. And newer models have come out since but it is still working great for us!! Good luck shopping!!

http://www.canon.ca/products_arch/productElement.asp?lng=en&gid=2&sgid=23&prodid=635&ovr=1
or
http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ProductCatIndexAct&fcategoryid=113

Every Day is a Good Day!! -CL
Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2007, 09:37:26 AM »

Thanks for the info CL.    I like Cannon cameras so I will have a look and see if one of those is still available. O0
Lilly
Member Extraordinaire

"If she looks back..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2007, 11:20:10 AM »

Yes, thanks CL.  A flip screen is one of the features I'm looking for (but not an essential one) so I'll look in to the Canons. O0
Americanbeauty
Member Extraordinaire

There's a darkness inside all of us ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2007, 02:06:21 AM »

I'm thinking of buying a new digital camera.
Mine is getting very old. It's incredibly slow. And it doesn't have as many options as I would like it to.

It's a Finepix A303 that I bought in 2003  :o  :D

Can you believe that I paid $675 (499€) for it??!!
« Last Edit: April 16, 2007, 02:12:57 AM by Americanbeauty » Logged

Make-'em-run-around-the-block-howling-in-agony stunning

"He that hath no beard is less than a man, and he that is less than a man, I am not for him…" 'Much Ado About Nothing' Act 2, Scene I (William Shakespeare)

http://americanbphotography.tumblr.com/
Lilly
Member Extraordinaire

"If she looks back..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2007, 09:50:08 AM »

Yeah it's incredible how the prices come down.

Well I'll be waiting a bit longer for my camera, because I ended up deciding that I want a camcorder more.  I decided on a cheapish miniDV one by JVC, it will take low quality stills, but not good enough to mean I won't want a proper camera too.  Considered getting one with a hard drive but the decent ones are too much, as they are still new to the market.  This one will tide me over till they get cheaper.

Amazon was great - I ordered it as 6pm last night, and it was here at 1140 this morning.  The lorry driver screwed up so I got on the phone to the couriers who were a nightmare.  But one click and Amazon called me, and sorted them out. O0
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T