News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sudden Impact Quote (Ketchup On A Hot Dog)?  (Read 20618 times)
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« on: January 14, 2007, 03:01:24 AM »

DETECTIVE: Hey, don't tell me this $#!t's getting to you. Not Harry Callahan. Say it ain't so.

CALLAHAN: No, this stuff isn't getting to me, the shootings, the knifings, the beatings, old ladies being bashed in the head for their social security checks, teachers being thrown out of a fourth floor window because they don't give A's. That doesn't bother me a bit.

DETECTIVE: Come on Harry, take it easy.

CALLAHAN: Or this job either, having to wade through the scum of this city, being swept away by bigger and bigger waves of corruption, apathy and red tape. No, that doesn't bother me. But you know what does bother me?

DETECTIVE: What?

CALLAHAN: You know what makes me really sick to my stomach?

DETECTIVE: What?!

CALLAHAN: It's watching you stuff your face with those hot dogs. Nobody... I mean NOBODY puts ketchup on a hot dog.

Taken from Matt's quote site

I came across a discussion in one of the Favorite Dirty Harry Quote threads from a couple of years ago.So I thought I'd revive it in it's own thread as it's always puzzled me.

I never understood the quote,as we always put ketchup or as we call it here "tomato sauce" on a hot dog.What's so bad about putting ketchup on it anyway? I love it.I suppose it must be an American thing?? ???
« Last Edit: June 23, 2012, 05:26:39 PM by The Schofield Kid » Logged

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
Doug
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

"May I make a suggestion..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2007, 05:22:24 AM »

My mom grew up in the Bay area and she said no one there put ketchup on their hot dogs.  Of course, she hasn't lived there in over 35 years and times might have changed.  So it could be one of those regional things, and it may not even be true anymore.  On a rare occasion I eat a hot dog, I'll put everything I can on it, including ketchup.   :)

"Yes, well, when I see five weirdos dressed in togas stabbing a guy in the middle of a park in full view of a hundred people, I shoot the bastards, that's my policy."  Frank Drebin, Police Squad.
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2007, 10:18:34 AM »

I think it is a regional thing. In my hometown in Michigan, in the heart of the Midwest, we always ate hotdogs with ketchup, less often with mustard or anything else.

I only eat 'em at ball games now, and I usually put ketchup AND mustard on 'em, at least if I can get those annoying little foil packets they give you open!
Canadian Lady
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2007, 12:28:13 PM »

I'm thinking it was a joke!  I just think Harry didn't like Ketchup! And he really did hate the crime he had to clean up!

Every Day is a Good Day!! -CL
Doug
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2007, 02:21:32 PM »

It's not a joke, CL. 

Some Americans believe that a properly made hot dog should never be topped with ketchup.

In Chicago, some restaurants and hot-dog stands that consider themselves to be "true" Chicago hot dog grills do not, as a rule, carry ketchup in stock, even if they serve other food items that use this condiment, such as french fries. The National Hot Dog & Sausage Council, in its tongue-in-cheek recommendations for proper Hot Dog Etiquette capitulate only slightly to the public's general regard for ketchup, saying "Don't use ketchup on your hot dog after the age of 18". (This alludes to the fact that many children like ketchup on their hot-dogs due to the sweet taste, but adults are expected to have a more sophisticated palate).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hot_dog

A Chicago-style hot dog– as served in the U.S. city of Chicago, Illinois and its surrounding suburbs– is a steamed or boiled all-beef, natural-casing hot dog on a poppy seed bun. It is topped with mustard, onion, sweet pickle relish, a dill pickle spear, tomato slices or wedges, sport peppers, and a dash of celery salt; but not ketchup.
  [Emphasis added.]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago-style_hot_dog

"Yes, well, when I see five weirdos dressed in togas stabbing a guy in the middle of a park in full view of a hundred people, I shoot the bastards, that's my policy."  Frank Drebin, Police Squad.
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

The real me

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2007, 09:02:23 PM »

I guess that line from Sudden Impact always struck me as a little strange too, since I've seen many people put ketchup on their hot dog. I have a faint memory of doing the same thing when I was little, but now I like my hot dogs plain.
Lilly
Member Extraordinaire

"If she looks back..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2007, 01:55:20 AM »

Thanks for the explanation.  I always wondered about that too.  Maybe it's to emphasise Harry being different.  Do we know that he was always from San Francisco?
Doug
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2007, 02:31:50 AM »

Thanks for the explanation.  I always wondered about that too.  Maybe it's to emphasise Harry being different.  Do we know that he was always from San Francisco?

But it's not just Chicago, they just happen to be a bit more fanatical about (and famous for) their hot dogs, so it's easy to find quotes about it.  Many Bay Area residents are serious about their hot dogs too, and ketchup would be a no-no (unless you're a kid).  Now I know more about the subject and what constitutes a "good" hot dog than I ever thought I'd want to know.  :)  But at least for myself, I consider the context of the quote to be completely explained, because I remember all the times of seeing the movie myself and wondering about it too, and I think the subject was even discussed on the old board with no resolution.

The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2007, 03:07:06 AM »

I just checked the original Dirty Harry scene at Jaffe's to see if Harry puts anything on his hot dog before he gets interrupted by the bank robbers.He does spread something on it with a knife,but it's on the bottom of the screen and I couldn't quite tell,but just as he lifts it up to eat it looks like mustard.

When I first saw this film as Harry is walking towards the bank,he looks down and sees drops of blood on his pants,he isn't limping so I always thought that it was ketchup from the hot dog.

Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2007, 06:06:42 AM »

I remember that old thread, too and was surprised so many people actually DO put ketchup on hot dogs. I had never seen ANYONE put ketchup on a hot dog until a few years ago, and I was born and raised in the northeast (Philly). Mustard goes on hot dogs, soft pretzels, and even sometimes potato chips. Ketchup on fries and burgers. No one, I mean NO ONE put ketchup on a hot dog.  ;)
Chrissie

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2007, 06:30:34 AM »

In Germany you can put on your hot dog what you want, even ketchup. I prefer mustard and sauerkraut (do you call this really so). I nerver thought there would be so many differences.
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2007, 09:33:15 AM »

When I first saw this film as Harry is walking towards the bank,he looks down and sees drops of blood on his pants,he isn't limping so I always thought that it was ketchup from the hot dog.

He is hit, with buckshot, though ... remember the next scene when the doctor wants to cut his pants leg off?
Canadian Lady
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2007, 01:32:48 PM »

It's not a joke, CL. 
  [Emphasis added.]

Well, thanks for clearing that for me Doug! I have to say I've always thought Harry was really joking because, I've never heard of the 'Nobody puts ketchup on Hot Dogs' thing!  Up here, we always put Ketchup on tube steaks er' I mean Hot Dogs.  ;) It has always been the most stable of condiments in Canada! It's really good on Kraft Dinner too!

Every Day is a Good Day!! -CL
little_bill
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2007, 05:46:58 PM »

Dublin Ireland, and i never put Ketchup on a hotdog, not since i was about 6 and i discovered American Mustard, now it has to be American Mustard, as English and French Mustard is massively thicker and hotter, whereas American Mustard is just right, ironically the best brand over here is called Frenchs American Mustard, even though French Mustard is way different  :D

He may look like an idiot and talk like an idiot but don't let that fool you. He really is an idiot.- Groucho Marx
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2007, 10:04:34 PM »

He is hit, with buckshot, though ... remember the next scene when the doctor wants to cut his pants leg off?

Yeah as soon as I saw that scene,I then realized that it wasn't ketchup.

Brendan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2007, 09:01:47 PM »

I remember that old thread, too and was surprised so many people actually DO put ketchup on hot dogs. I had never seen ANYONE put ketchup on a hot dog until a few years ago, and I was born and raised in the northeast (Philly). Mustard goes on hot dogs, soft pretzels, and even sometimes potato chips. Ketchup on fries and burgers. No one, I mean NO ONE put ketchup on a hot dog.  ;)

Potato chips?! That's just as bad as when I see people eat chips while drinking milk! Yuck. I put ketchup on my hot dogs as well though lately it's just been mustard since everything else seems to fall off into the plate or into my hands and make a big mess.
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2007, 09:06:48 PM »

No more hot dogs ... you're in training! ;)
Richard Earl
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2007, 11:08:32 PM »

I can enjoy a Hot Dog with either ketchup,mustard or both. In Texas you get those choices of condiments as well as relish,jalapenos and chili. My personal favorite is Srirasha hot sauce with Easy Cheese on the dog. Hot Links and Bratwursts are popular down here as well. Yummy!

Music speaks louder then words. It's the only thing that the whole world listens to. (Peter, Paul & Mary)
Clint Van Wallach

Email
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2007, 06:03:38 PM »

Nathan's hot dogs (or "dawgs" as we used to say) are da best! I like the ones with the cheese already in 'em, grilled on a toasted bun with mustard ("wit mustid"). Ketchup? Forgetaboudit!

No more hot dogs ... you're in training! ;)

Wait! Don't discourage him! After he he wins the marathon he can enter  this race!
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2007, 06:09:30 PM »

Or this one:D
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T