News: Eastwood's latest work, "Jersey Boys," premiers in most locations on June 20th, 2014.

« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sugar in Harry's coffee  (Read 5647 times)
Juan Boy

View Profile Email
« on: February 06, 2007, 05:48:45 PM »

In which Dirty Harry film did Harry enter a coffee shop and order coffee only to have the waitress put a large amount of sugar in his coffee, realize there was a hold up in progress, leave the coffee shop and reenter from the back door and confront the bad guy with his 44 magnum?

An answer  will be greatly appreciated!

Juan Boy
KC
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2007, 05:59:29 PM »

That would be Sudden Impact, directed by Clint himself (1983).

The climax of the scene has Harry snarling at the bad guy, who has taken the waitress hostage and is holding a gun to her head ... "Go ahead. Make my day." ;)
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

His job ..... steal it.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2007, 01:33:33 AM »

I don't really buy this scene.. here's Harry, a man who can spot a hold up before it's even happened by cigarette buts on the road... so ingrossed in his paper that he doesn't notice the waiteress tip half a ton of sugar into his coffee... Nahh.

Borderline burnout with questionable social skills
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2007, 02:33:45 AM »

I don't really buy this scene.. here's Harry, a man who can spot a hold up before it's even happened by cigarette buts on the road... so ingrossed in his paper that he doesn't notice the waiteress tip half a ton of sugar into his coffee... Nahh.

Yeah,that's always bothered me as well.The first time I saw this and in subsequent viewings I keep thinking you cannot miss this waitress standing there for about 6 seconds pouring all this sugar in and not notice.

"Nobody...I mean NOBODY puts that much sugar in their coffee".  :D

EDIT: Maybe the waitress was hoping he would notice while she was pouring it in?
« Last Edit: February 07, 2007, 02:36:04 AM by The Schofield Kid » Logged

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
Sylvie
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2007, 02:42:01 AM »

I've always been sure he DID notice the waitress and her strange attitude from the very beginning ... but I may be wrong !  ;)

"If she looks back, that means she's interested . Come on now, give me a little look. One little glance back..."

2007 Movie journal
Lin.
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

To Ancient Evenings and Distant Music.

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2007, 02:50:41 AM »

I've always been sure he DID notice the waitress and her strange attitude from the very beginning ... but I may be wrong !  ;)

I agree with you Sylvie.

This kind of certainty comes but just once in a lifetime. -  Robert Kincaid  -  Bridges of Madison County
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

His job ..... steal it.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2007, 03:42:57 AM »

Good point Sylvie... but he still leaves the cafe sipping his coffee, then spits it out noticing the overload of sugar and the waitress putting the closed sign up in the door... :-\ ... and then he takes action..

KC
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2007, 07:37:08 AM »

The waitress was plainly trying to tip him off. And maybe he was reading about police corruption in the newspaper! ;)
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

His job ..... steal it.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2007, 07:42:49 AM »

I doubt Harry took sugar in his coffee in the first place... Do we have any other example of him drinkin' the stuff in any of the other movies.. We need to get to the bottom of this !

Brendan
Member Extraordinaire

go ahead... paint me.

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2007, 09:52:41 AM »

Yeah, I always assumed he knew what she was doing when she kept pouring lots of sugar in the coffee. Harry probably scoped the place out as soon as he walked in and took notice that something wasn't right. Plus as soon as he leaves the sign on the door switches to "Closed". Though I can see where some people might get confused since he takes a sip of the coffee and spits it out doesn't he? Then he looks back at the shop with a "WTF?" look on his face.

Gant
Member Extraordinaire

His job ..... steal it.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2007, 10:26:40 AM »

I don't think he'd sussed what was goin' down in the cafe.. For me this is where Harry became less about brain power and being one step ahead of the baddies/superiors  and more about brute force..

Lilly
Member Extraordinaire

"If she looks back..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2007, 03:27:23 AM »

I always enjoyed that scene, and don't think he knew what was going on until he tasted the coffee.

It is kind of excruciating waiting for him to notice as the waitress pours the sugar.  For me it shows that even Harry can get caught napping, and yeah, he was probably engrossed by a story in the paper about the mayor or police.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2007, 07:50:45 AM by Lilly » Logged
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

His job ..... steal it.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2007, 02:32:23 AM »

I think he's reading the sports pages.... ;D

Philo Beddoe Jr
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2007, 10:25:44 AM »

He definitely only realises something is up when he drinks the too sweet coffee.

Why didn't he notice what the waitress was doing?  Well I've got Dirty Harry on HD DVD and I could read the print on the paper, and it was a singles ad which read- hot babe looking for tall cop with a big gun, so naturally he was engrossed ;).

WKC aka Darren.

Gant
Member Extraordinaire

His job ..... steal it.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2007, 09:57:49 AM »

Do American newspapers have a page 3....  ::)

Glenny

"Trick or Treat, punk."

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2007, 03:14:36 PM »

I never liked this scene.  I alway thought that the robbers told Loretta to load his coffee with sugar.  And they turned the closed sign around.  What was it?  9AM to 2PM!?  Are they tring to tell Harry they plan on holding the place up?  He should have just told them "If you plan a hold-up, let me know."

All Aboard the Crazy Train.
Hemlock
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2007, 06:43:02 PM »

I alway thought that the robbers told Loretta to load his coffee with sugar. 

Why would they  ???

I think the robbers did not know who this customer(Dirty Harry)was and the waitress just tired to get his attention as she did know who her customer was.

I think the scene works fine and remember right after Callahan notices that`s there`s something wrong in the picture.He`ll get to say "the line"and kill couple of bad guys and show us/the audience that Harry is pretty much back in the game.

You remeber that the film character Dirty Harry had been away for sometime back then and the plot/film had to remind us viewers what kind of guy he is.And that particular scene is to me just one of those similar scenes that are in every Dirty Harry pictures(in DH:he stops the bank robbery,in the Magnum Force he stops the storerobbery&airplane hijacking,in The Enforcer there`s another storerobbery attempt that goes foul because of Callahan and then there`s that chinese restaurant scene in Dead Pool).

I still think that Sudden Impact is the third best Dirty Harry film and this particualr scene is one of the reason for it  ;)
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2007, 07:08:56 PM »

I think the scene works fine and remember right after Callahan notices that`s there`s something wrong in the picture.He`ll get to say "the line"and kill couple of bad guys and show us/the audience that Harry is pretty much back in the game.

Once he re-enters the cafe from the back entrance is when the scene becomes memorable and I do like that,it's just the first time he enters and the waitress pours in all the sugar that I don't buy.

The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2007, 07:16:58 PM »

I just watched this scene again because I thought Harry may not have noticed because he still had he's sunglasses on,but he does remove them just before the waitress starts pouring the sugar in.

In my first post I said that the waitress pours the sugar for six seconds.I just timed it this time and she's there for 24  :o seconds.

Hemlock
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2007, 07:51:39 PM »

Than again if my memory serves me right Harry is pretty indifferent what they`ll serve him when he`s in that bar(in the first DH-movie)before he`ll stop the bank robbery.He does notice what`s going on the street but could not care less about what heŽll get to eat as lunch.

IŽve always felt that there`s some sort of homage to that first film`s scene in that dinerscene of Sudden Impact.

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T