News: Now showing in theaters: CRY MACHO, directed by and starring Clint Eastwood!

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: So why DOESNT Eastwood allow for extra's or bonus features?  (Read 5405 times)
iconfan

View Profile WWW Email
« on: February 09, 2007, 07:45:00 AM »

I mean I can understand that he may feel the actual WORK should speak for itself and it
has spoken for itself as it is now wrapping up its theatrical run.

But........

These days, instead of fragile VHS tape we used to buy,  all films are preserved on very durable DVD.

Available forever for future generations to enjoy, study and appreciate.

Heck, this film (and Letters From Iwo Jima) could qualify not only in and of themselves as films....but also as-----

1. Learning tools for schools and colleges around the world in some history class

2. A way for future filmmakers to not only study the film itself but also enjoy watching the man at his craft.

3. Fans of the man's work could also enjoy extras and featurettes

4. Yes, even a good audio commentary is generally good for ONE listen-thru but still--- everybody does them these days. But even without an audio commentary (from at LEAST the producer) we would still enjoy some featurettes or 'Making of' pieces.
 Even hundreds of badly made films have all of this stuff.

Down side?
WEll, what many DVD buyers do NOT appreciate is the double/triple dipping studios shamelessly do. I will rent this one and see it again but like others I will wait a bit and see if the studio will release a Boxed set (for both historical and collector purposes as well as the fact it would be a really cool boxed set) and maybe we'll get some featurettes that way......

If anything should have a behind the scenes feature it should be these two films.
As I said, not only would the fans and young filmmakers enjoy them but thousands of teachers would love to show not only the film but some well made Iwo Jima documentary (which should have at LEAST been on this DVD release) ABOUT the war and what happened and why.......

Oh well. At least Eastwood was able to make the film he wanted and now its available for all.
Maybe the tenth anniversary edition will have a two disc edition.......
(or the studio is waiting for the seventyfifth anniversary of the event itself before releasing something we all deserve to see and own.     sigh..................
Guess they'll never learn.

But thanks Clint- it's a great film and maybe it will see a larger audience now that it IS out on DVD since maybe since it was the Holidays or it got stuck in a bad time slot that nobody made time to see it but now that they can own or rent it maybe it will be seen by the larger audience it deserves. (And Letters is probably a month or so down the road so maybe the studio will get some of its investment back- an Oscar or two should help that point tremendously)
palooka
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2007, 08:40:08 AM »

It was the question I wanted to ask him at the Q & A screening of Mystic River.

Imagine a commentary for GBU or Unforgiven., now that would be well worth buying the disc again!

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
philo
Member Extraordinaire

"Slightly advanced"

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2007, 10:14:46 AM »

I have raised the subject of lack of extra for years and probably always will.

Sorry to those who have had to listen to me for so long.  :(

Philo .

"I won't be hitting you with my face"
bwaynef

I'm a llama!

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2007, 11:31:10 AM »

Spielberg is another director who refuses to do commentaries on his DVDs, pointing out that he works hard to conceal this tricks, etc, and doesn't want to shatter the illusion of what he has achieved. I take it Eastwood agrees with him. As for the Flags DVD, I think it's obvious that the current release will be out of date in a few months. Before long, it will likely be included in a multi-disc set with Letters, hopefully with lots of extras. I'll wait until then before buying it.
Americanbeauty
Member Extraordinaire

There's a darkness inside all of us ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2007, 11:55:53 PM »

I have stopped asking myself that question ... I guess he just doesn't like extras. Let the film speak for itself  :-\

Make-'em-run-around-the-block-howling-in-agony stunning

"He that hath no beard is less than a man, and he that is less than a man, I am not for him…" 'Much Ado About Nothing' Act 2, Scene I (William Shakespeare)

http://americanbphotography.tumblr.com/
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2007, 12:05:41 AM »

Who is actually responsible for how DVD's are packaged and what appears on them?

I would have thought it was up to the film studio who owns the rights to the film.Does a director have any say in the way films are presented on DVD or are they asked if they want to do a commentary or add features.

To me,Clint's job is done once the film is put in the can and released at the cinema.I don't think he has much say at all with DVD releases.

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
Brendan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2007, 12:37:21 AM »

I think the Home Video department of whatever studio has the rights to the movie is responsible for goes on a DVD. I'm sure the higher ups might have a say but it's probably left up to the Home Video area or the producers of the film. As for commentaries, I'm sure they ask people involved (main actors, producers, DP's, directors etc) when the film is close to a DVD release if they'd be willing to do one.

I know some people have problems with commentaries but I like them. At times it's just like sitting down with the director and asking him questions as the movie runs. I've listened to some really, really good commentaries and some others that were just a waste of time. If you don't like commentaries because "why would you want to listen to someone talk over the film" then well, I guess, don't listen to it? But some people don't mind it and if you've seen the film already then what's the big deal? You know what happens and how it ends so what's the problem with learning some things along the way.

Like I said, I've listened to some awful commentaries; William Friedkin's The Exorcist commentary comes to mind. He basically is telling you what's going in the movie. Like I can't see it... thanks Bill. However one of the best I've heard is the one on the Terminator 2 Ultimate Edition DVD. It's sort of an interview style one where select cast and crew speak when something related to their field comes up on the screen. So the EFX guys will talk when the effects are up, Arnold talks when a stunt or something it happening, James Cameron talks when there's some sort of story explanation... it's a really cool commentary and it's really cool how it was put together. Pretty interesting too and full of a lot of information. Some of the John Carpenter & Kurt Russell commentaries are classic. They make fun of themselves and the movie while providing some good insight into the shoots and other actors involved.

I don't mind that Clint doesn't do commentaries. There's really no need I guess and I wouldn't imagine a Clint commentary would be very interesting anyways.
iconfan

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2007, 06:54:25 AM »

Frank Darabont (Green Mile. Shawshak Redemption 2 disc collector editions) does very good commentaries. He described much of the filmmaking process and behind the scenes  and lots of other trivia about the film(s)

My main complaint actually is there were several interviews with Eastwood about the project as well as an interview he did with Charlie Rose WITH Paul Haggis and all I'm asking/wondering is why those few bits weren't added here.
AND a documentary about the conflict (which I am sure the History Channel should have several hours they could have negotiated for) would have been a good complimentary match.

Of course, MAYBE they (whoever THEY are who make the final decsions on just what exactly GOES on the DVD) are really waiting for the Letters From Iwo Jima DVD to come out and put the 2nd disc with THAT release since it may be a tougher sell being it is a foreign film and all.
(Although according to the internet such as www.boxofficemojo.com/daily/
Letters is past the 7 million dollar sales mark domestically and rapidly approaching 8 and with the Oscars approaching it's sure to hit 10 million if it wins an award. (still not enough to make back the original 15 million dollar budget but it'll be alot more then even I expected))
Brendan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2007, 09:47:30 AM »

The reason Letters hasn't made a lot of money is that it's still playing in a somewhat limited run of only 720 theatres. It should be opening wider as the weeks come.

And, like I have said a few times before, there will be another release of Flags of our Fathers on DVD. This "bar bones" release and the fact there is a companion film that hasn't been released on DVD yet pretty much guarantees a re-release in a special edition form.
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2007, 10:11:46 AM »

Letters is raking in the yen in Japan ... last I checked, it had grossed nearly forty million dollars there, so no worries about its not making a profit.
philo
Member Extraordinaire

"Slightly advanced"

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2007, 10:26:31 AM »

Letters is raking in the yen in Japan ... last I checked, it had grossed nearly forty million dollars there, so no worries about its not making a profit.

I also read somewhere (sorry can't remember exactly) that it was green lighted for what it would gross in Japan alone. Everything else it stated would be a bonus.

Philo . 

"I won't be hitting you with my face"
Kumara

"What is now proved was once only imagined" Blake

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2007, 09:49:12 AM »

Lately I ONLY buy DVDs special editions, to enjoy all the gossips therein... >:D
Seriously, sure enough I'll wait to buy the Iwo Jima 'Diptico' together and hopefully with very special contents (not just trailers!)  O0

Maj/Sgt Choozoo: You will be there Gunnery Seargant Thomas Highway. Stand tall, look sharp and wear all your ribbon so that people can see a dumb f*ck hero who isn't bleeding to death.
G/Sgt Highway: Let's find the bar.
Hammerhead

Get the hell out of the way, hammerhead.

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2007, 06:18:32 AM »

I wonder if the profit from Letters will cover the loss on Flags...
Philo Beddoe Jr
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2007, 11:02:34 PM »

If Clint feels that his films should speak for themselves I can appreciate his point of view, but that doesn't excuse not using:

deleted scenes, promotional making of featurettes, original trailers etc. 

that stuff can be great fun to watch if nothing else.

WKC aka Darren.

KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2007, 01:11:02 AM »

Well, I can see why he doesn't want deleted scenes included (they could take away from the film, as released, "speaking for itself"), but I agree: I would really like the "making of" featurettes.
Philo Beddoe Jr
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2007, 04:04:38 AM »

Well, I can see why he doesn't want deleted scenes included (they could take away from the film, as released, "speaking for itself")

KC,

for those people who want the deleted scenes so they can try to tack them on to the film, yes that is a fair point, but for those who are interested in them as a seperate piece of movie making trivia, taken 'apart from the film', they shouldn't do that.

WKC aka Darren.

KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2007, 09:25:27 AM »

WKC, it's not that I, personally, don't want to see them. It's just that I can perfectly well understand why Clint doesn't want to include them.
Kumara

"What is now proved was once only imagined" Blake

View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2007, 07:28:59 AM »

Just to re-live this thread... ;)
I'm still waiting my SE DVDs to come, but I hope to see (and eventually hear), beside the two great films (FOOF and Letters), exciting new materials.
As for the deleted scene, sometimes the directors are pushed by the production to cut to reasonable time their movies, as in the case with The Thin Red Line (I'm still waiting a 'director's cut' edition of this great movie), and at other times they are just pushed to CHANGE something to conform to the marketing's guys requests, as in the infamous case of Blade Runner's ending... So, if Clint has nothing to complain about his work, I still may like to see some different cuts or shots left over, just to further my understanding why HE made those choices...
As for the Audio commentaries, as already wrote in this thread, some are excellent, while others are just boring: I've listened to all the Audio's commentaries of the Lord of The Rings Trilogy SE, and especially that from Jackson and the writers I found it both entertaining and interesting, giving you a deeper insight in why they made the film as it is.
Maybe Clint wouldn't like to spend so much time in just TALKING about what he actually have MADE for us to see, so I can understand his position if he decides not to include an audio commentary, even if I would have enjoyed it anyway...  :-X
BTW, anyone can tell me if actually THERE is an Audio commentary on the SE of FOOF and LFIJ?!?

Maj/Sgt Choozoo: You will be there Gunnery Seargant Thomas Highway. Stand tall, look sharp and wear all your ribbon so that people can see a dumb f*ck hero who isn't bleeding to death.
G/Sgt Highway: Let's find the bar.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T