News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Coop's "Macca" reviews (McCartney solo & Wings)  (Read 12696 times)
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #40 on: August 24, 2008, 02:27:26 PM »

DRIVING RAIN

Lonely Road 
From A Lover To A Friend 
She's Given Up Talking 
Driving Rain 
I Do 
Tiny Bubble 
Magic 
Your Way 
Spinning On An Axis 
About You 
Heather 
Back In The Sunshine Again 
Your Loving Flame 
Riding Into Jaipur 
Rinse The Raindrops 
Freedom

I prefer the first half of this album to the second, with Lonely Road, I Do and especially the title track being the standouts.  The rest of the first half I thought was good.  Of the second half, I only liked Heather and Freedom.  The remainder of the second half I didn't like at all.  Driving Rain and Freedom are my favorites.  I remember McCartney's video for Freedom when it first aired and loved it.  It was great seeing him perform it on t.v. for The Concert For New York City, too.
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #41 on: August 24, 2008, 02:38:45 PM »

BACK IN THE U.S.

Hello Goodbye                                     A very enjoyable live album, I must say.  There's just one song I don't care for and
Jet                                                       that's Vanilla Sky.  Nevertheless, this is now among my favorite live albums.   
All My Loving                                        McCartney sounds very good here and leaves me wanting more.   
Getting Better                                     
Coming Up 
Let Me Roll It 
Lonely Road 
Driving Rain 
Your Loving Flame 
Blackbird 
Every Night 
We Can Work It Out 
Mother Nature's Son 
Vanilla Sky 
Carry That Weight 
The Fool On The Hill 
Here Today 
Something 

Eleanor Rigby 
Here, There And Everywhere 
Band On The Run 
Back In The USSR 
Maybe I'm Amazed 
C Moon 
My Love 
Can't Buy Me Love 
Freedom 
Live And Let Die 
Let It Be 
Hey Jude 
The Long And Winding Road 
Lady Madonna 
I Saw Her Standing There 
Yesterday 
Sgt. Pepper/The End 

Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #42 on: August 24, 2008, 02:59:57 PM »

CHAOS AND CREATION IN THE BACK YARD

Fine Line   
How Kind Of You   
Jenny Wren   
At The Mercy   
Friends To Go   
English Tea   
Too Much Rain   
A Certain Softness   
Riding To Vanity Fair   
Follow Me   
Promise To You Girl
This Never Happened Before 
Anyway

There's just a couple of exceptional songs for me on this album, Fine Line and English Tea.  I have to admit, after just a few listens I was ready to disregard 99% of this album, the exception being Fine Line.  I warmed up to English Tea (with the exception of the beginning of that song) and then slowly began enjoying Jenny Wren, At The Mercy, Friends To Go, Too Much Rain, Follow Me, Promise To You Girl and Anyway.  Those songs I now enjoy, but not the remainder of the album.  So it's 50/50, much better than just one song...kinda reminds me of my first impression of 1980's McCartney.
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #43 on: August 24, 2008, 03:01:06 PM »

MEMORY ALMOST FULL

Dance Tonight 
Ever Present Past 
See Your Sunshine 
Only Mama Knows 
You Tell Me 
Mr. Bellamy 
Gratitude 
Vintage Clothes 
That Was Me 
Feet In The Clouds 
House Of Wax 
End Of The End 
Nod Your Head 

Once again, I was just about ready to disregard the majority of this album.  The last time I played it, I came away enjoying the entire album.  Unlike the previous 2 studio albums, there isn't a song on here I dislike.  I guess I shouldn't be surprised after Pipes Of Peace and Press To Play, but those are perceptions that changed over the passage of years, not weeks. 

So, my Macca Reviews comes to an end (well, until the next album comes along) with a pleasant ending.  Memory Almost Full is another McCartney album I look forward to hearing repeatedly.
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #44 on: August 24, 2008, 03:13:57 PM »

I'm dedicating these reviews to my brother, Ron.  Without him this may not have happened.  A couple of years ago he gave me the opportunity to copy his entire Beatles collection, which included their solo work.  Growing up, he was the Beatles fan and I the Elvis fan.  We both became collectors, but he became a musician.  I always enjoyed waking up Sunday mornings to hear my brother strumming away on his guitar, learning any variety of Beatles, Lennon, McCartney and/or Wings tunes, especially Blackbird. 

So, Ron, here's to you!  Cheers, mate!

« Last Edit: November 25, 2008, 07:15:12 PM by Brian Cooper » Logged
Richard Earl
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #45 on: August 24, 2008, 10:27:00 PM »

I did not realize that Paul has put out so many solo albums Brian. I have much listening to that I must do." Put It There" is my favorite Paul solo song that I have heard.

Music speaks louder then words. It's the only thing that the whole world listens to. (Peter, Paul & Mary)
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« Reply #46 on: August 24, 2008, 10:38:25 PM »

Great work on this thread Brian. Really well done. I have a lot of catching up to do with these albums. Going through some of those reviews of yours from the early 80's albums has brought back some memories.

Thanks.  8)

Is there a Lennon Thread in the works?   ;)

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #47 on: August 25, 2008, 10:05:57 AM »

I did not realize that Paul has put out so many solo albums Brian. I have much listening to that I must do." Put It There" is my favorite Paul solo song that I have heard.

I love that song, too.  I once gave my brother a double-celebrity greeting and smiled that he knew what I was talking about.  I said, "Hi Ron, put it there.  Waddya hear, waddya say?"  The 'waddya year' remark was taken from an old James Cagney film he introduced me to, called Angels With Dirty Faces.
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #48 on: August 25, 2008, 10:11:09 AM »

Great work on this thread Brian. Really well done. I have a lot of catching up to do with these albums. Going through some of those reviews of yours from the early 80's albums has brought back some memories.

Thanks.  8)

Is there a Lennon Thread in the works?   ;)

You're welcome.  It was my pleasure.  I was considering doing an Elvis thread but have since decided to pass because there's so much material to cover.  I know I'd have fun with it and don't even need to listen to anything because I've heard everything Elvis recorded multiple times over the years.

So yeah, a Lennon thread is next... ...although, I'm not looking forward to hearing anything by Yoko so I may skip over her stuff.  After hearing some of her songs on Double Fantasy I had to check myself into a hospital....  :D  Sorry to offend any Yoko fans out there but I just didn't like what heard.  Maybe I'll try to keep an open mind but think I'll stick with Lennon's recordings only.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2008, 10:12:25 AM by Brian Cooper » Logged
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #49 on: October 24, 2008, 11:51:42 PM »

Ok, the cover looks ridiculous, but this looks like a fantastic compilation and I can't wait to pick it up.  I love all of McCartney's hits and it will be fun to see familiar videos with ones I haven't yet. 

DISC/TRACK LISTING DISC 1 1. Tug Of War 2. Say Say Say 3. Silly Love Songs 4. Band On The Run 5. Maybe I'm Amazed 6. Heart Of The Country 7. Mamunia 8. With A Little Luck 9. Goodnight Tonight 10. Waterfalls 11. My Love 12. C-Moon 13. Baby's Request 14. Hi Hi Hi 15. Ebony And Ivory 16. Take It Away 17. Mull Of Kintyre 18. Helen Wheels 19. I've Had Enough 20. Coming Up 21. Wonderful Christmastime Extras 1. Juniors Farm 2. Band On The Run 3. London Town 4. Mull Of Kintyre 2 5. The Southbank Show

DISC 2 1. Pipes Of Peace 2. My Brave Face 3. Beautiful Night 4. Fine Line 5. No More Lonely Nights 6. This One 7. Little Willow 8. Pretty Little Head 9. Birthday 10. Hope Of Deliverance 11. Once Upon A Long Ago 12. All My Trials 13. Brown-Eyed Handsome Man 14. Press 15. No Other Baby 16. Off The Ground 17. Biker Like An Icon 18. Spies Like Us 19. Put It There 20. Figure Of Eight 21. C'Mon People Extras 1. Parkinson 2. So Bad 3. Creating Chaos At Abbey Road

DISC 3 Rock Show 1. Venus And Mars 2. Rock Show 3. Jet 4. Maybe I'm Amazed 5. Lady Madonna 6. Listen To What The Man Said 7. Bluebird MTV Unplugged 8. I Lost My Little Girl 9. Every Night 10. And I Love Her 11. That Would Be Something Glastonbury 12. Jet 13. Flaming Pie 14. Let Me Roll It 15. Blackbird 16. Band On The Run 17. Back In The USSR 18. Live And Let Die 19. Hey Jude 20. Yesterday 21. Helter Skelter 22. Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band Extras 1. Live Aid 2. The Superbowl XXIV
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #50 on: November 25, 2008, 07:20:05 PM »

I just wanted to take this opportunity to re-dedicate this thread to my brother.  I've been enjoying the McCartney Years dvd immensely.  What a great trip down memory lane, seeing a lot of videos from the 80s when I never thought I'd be a dad only to be enjoying them again with Nicholas, along with others I'm seeing for the first time.

I'm dedicating these reviews to my brother, Ron.  Without him this may not have happened.  A couple of years ago he gave me the opportunity to copy his entire Beatles collection, which included their solo work.  Growing up, he was the Beatles fan and I the Elvis fan.  We both became collectors, but he became a musician.  I always enjoyed waking up Sunday mornings to hear my brother strumming away on his guitar, learning any variety of Beatles, Lennon, McCartney and/or Wings tunes, especially Blackbird. 

Gant
Member Extraordinaire

His job ..... steal it.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #51 on: November 26, 2008, 06:10:43 AM »

I just heard a snippet from McCartney's new project... A collaboration with Youth  which goes under the title .. The Fireman. Sounded quite good.

« Last Edit: November 26, 2008, 06:13:06 AM by Gant » Logged

Borderline burnout with questionable social skills
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #52 on: November 26, 2008, 06:50:45 AM »

I've heard of The Firemen before and I pretty sure I have a cd but haven't checked it out yet.  Is the material instrumental?
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

His job ..... steal it.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #53 on: November 26, 2008, 07:13:00 AM »

yeh... I think this is their 2nd or 3rd collaboration... I think it's mainly instrumental but def some vocal tracks.

Borderline burnout with questionable social skills
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #54 on: March 16, 2009, 08:04:14 PM »

I'm a little late, but after recently finishing my John Lennon reviews Coop's Dr. Winston O'Boogie Revue (John Lennon) and dedicating them to my brother and Lennon, I thought it fitting to add a dedication to Sir Paul as well.

I'd say Paul is probably my favorite of The Beatles and I've always been a fan of a lot of his solo work.  I had a lot of fun with these reviews and came away liking 2 albums I hadn't cared to bother with before (Band On The Run, Venus And Mars) and 2 that I hadn't liked before but enjoy very much now (Pipes Of Peace, Press To Play).  I look forward to his next solo project.

Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #55 on: December 12, 2009, 12:11:44 PM »

I'm looking forward to listening to this cd and watching the dvd with Diana & Nicholas.  A friend of mine who went to the concert at Fenway Park the day after I did saw McCartney's "Good Evening New York City" on tv recently and told me it's very similar to what we saw in Boston.

Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #56 on: September 07, 2012, 01:27:50 PM »

KISSES ON THE BOTTOM

1. I'm Gonna Sit Right Down And Write Myself A Letter
   2. Home (When Shadows Fall)
   3. It's Only A Paper Moon
   4. More I Cannot Wish You
   5. The Glory Of Love  
   6. We Three (My Echo, My Shadow And Me)
   7. Ac-Cent-Tchu-Ate The Positive
   8. My Valentine
   9. Always
 10. My Very Good Friend The Milkman
 11. Bye Bye Blackbird
 12. Get Yourself Another Fool
 13. The Inch Worm
 14. Only Our Hearts

Iíll be blunt.  I donít like this album.  Like Pipes Of Peace, Press To Play and Flowers In The Dirt, upon first hearing it I was sorely disappointed.  Whatís different is after listening to it repeatedly, my opinion hasnít changed.  I doubt it will many years from now, as it did with the Pipes and Press albums.  The overall production is done very well and the music sounds good.  I canít say the same for McCartneyís voice.  It sounds wobbly and uneven.  I was happy to learn he was doing an album such as this, as Iím a fan of his earlier work in the same vein; Your Mother Should Know, Honey Pie, You Gave Me The Answer and my favorite of these, Babyís Request, which is covered on this album but the original is better.

Had Sir Paul recorded this type of album 20 years ago, Iím sure it would've sounded much better.  His voice sounded smoother then.  McCartneyís got a great rock voice.  Especially on songs like Kansas City and Iím Down.  I first noticed a change in McCartneyís voice on No More Lonely Nights back in 1984.  He sounds like heís straining there but the song is enjoyable nonetheless.  He sounds good on his most recent rock album, Memory Almost Full.  Standards are quite a different breed of music, though.  I enjoy the classics like Sinatra and Dean Martin and the more contemporary artist like Harry Connick, Jr. and Diana Krall.  So, hopefully he'll return to form with another decent rock album.

« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 09:14:17 AM by Jed Cooper » Logged
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #57 on: October 16, 2013, 02:12:53 PM »

Finally!!  Another album by Sir Paul!  Iíve listened to half so far and am enjoying what Iím hearing.  This may turn into another favorite by Macca.  I hope so, after having been so disappointed by his previous travesty.  Itís great seeing McCartney back on track with new material that sounds so good (so far). 

NEW

1. Save Us   
  2. Alligator   
  3. On My Way To Work 
  4. Queenie Eye 
  5. Early Days   
  6. New   
  7. Appreciate   
  8. Everybody Out There   
  9. Hosanna   
10. I Can Bet   
11. Looking at Her   
12. Road (includes "Scared" as a hidden track)
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 01:23:03 PM by Jed Cooper » Logged
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #58 on: October 17, 2013, 01:18:02 PM »

NEW (Deluxe Edition)

1. Save Us
  2. Alligator
  3. On My Way To Work
  4. Queenie Eye
  5. Early Days
  6. New
  7. Appreciate
  8. Everybody Out There
  9. Hosanna
10. I Can Bet
11. Looking at Her
12. Road
13. Turned Out
14. Get Me Out Of Here
15. Scared (hidden/bonus track)

Iíve listened to this deluxe edition once and am extremely pleased with this album.  For McCartney fans, I definitely recommend it.  Some songs are better than others but overall New is very good and Iím keeping this cd in my car stereo for a while.  Itís a little early to tell whether or not the whole album will be added to my list of Macca favorites but by comparison I like it better than Flaming Pie and Chaos And Creation In The Back Yard.  I still enjoy all of Memory Almost Full very much.  So far I havenít heard anything I dislike on New and am looking forward to hearing it again.

« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 09:41:58 AM by Jed Cooper » Logged
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« Reply #59 on: October 23, 2013, 02:39:36 AM »

Finally!!  Another album by Sir Paul!  I’ve listened to half so far and am enjoying what I’m hearing.  This may turn into another favorite by Macca.  I hope so, after having been so disappointed by his previous travesty.  It’s great seeing McCartney back on track with new material that sounds so good (so far). 

NEW

1. Save Us   
  2. Alligator   
  3. On My Way To Work 
  4. Queenie Eye 
  5. Early Days   
  6. New   
  7. Appreciate   
  8. Everybody Out There   
  9. Hosanna   
10. I Can Bet   
11. Looking at Her   
12. Road (includes "Scared" as a hidden track)

I've been playing this quite a bit since Sunday in the car and while there is a couple of catchy tunes, overall I'm not that impressed. It may grow on me so I'll give it a few more listens but it's lacking something.

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T