News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Jazz Documentary (Dave Brubeck)  (Read 25250 times)
TWOMULES

Email
« Reply #40 on: December 03, 2010, 10:38:20 AM »

The Arena/Clint Eastwood doc Dave Brubeck - In His Own Sweet Way airs tonight in the UK
on BBC 4 at 9pm tonight..  :)

Thanks Gant. :)   I have just set up my DVD recorder to record this and I'm looking forward to watching this sometime over the weekend. :) 
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

You gotta be durable...real durable. Most ain't

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #41 on: December 04, 2010, 02:08:53 AM »

Watched it this morning... Very good. Enjoyed all the clips and the interviews..
Brubecks a legend.. and I'm also a massive fan of his drummer Joe Morello.

A real treat..

So who can Eastwood work on next... ?

Borderline burnout with questionable social skills
Dan Dassow
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #42 on: December 04, 2010, 07:26:38 PM »

Watched it this morning... Very good. Enjoyed all the clips and the interviews..

A real treat..

So who can Eastwood work on next... ?

Mr. Eastwood has done biographies on Thelonious Monk, Budd Boetticher, Tony Bennett, Johnny Mercer and Dave Brubeck.

Future possibilities include Scott Joplin, Jelly Roll Morton, Eubie Blake, Louis Armstrong, Duke Ellington, Count Basie, Cab Calloway, Jimmy Dorsey, Tommy Dorsey, Benny Goodman, Fletcher Henderson, Earl Hines, Glenn Miller, Artie Shaw, Charlie Parker, Bud Powell, Dizzy Gillespie, Clifford Brown, Max Roach, Miles Davis, Chet Baker, Bill Evans, Gil Evans, Stan Getz, John Coltrane, Herbie Hancock, Charles Mingus, Xavier Cugat, Jimi Hendrix, Wynton Marsalis, and Branford Marsalis.
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #43 on: December 04, 2010, 08:10:22 PM »

I was lucky enough to be at the (theatrical) premiere tonight at Lincoln Center. "A real treat," to quote Gant.

Besides the director, Bruce Ricker (who participated in a Q and A afterward), a number of people who worked on the film were there, including the co-producer and writer, Hank O'Neal ... who sat directly behind me. Before the film started, I heard him mention that Clint had insisted on three-last minute changes, after prints were already made for distribution. So if you think "executive producer" means "He just signs the checks," in this case, at least, think again.

Clint is also onscreen quite a bit, with Brubeck himself and also with George Lucas, Jamie Cullen, Sting and others.

Joel Cox was also there tonight, and as my route out of the theater took me right past him, I stopped and thanked him for all his great work over the years with Clint (mentioning something I'm sure he doesn't remember, that I'd met him several years ago in Baltimore, when he came there to present Unforgiven at the local film festival ... Holden Pike and I cornered him before the screening and chatted with him for fifteen minutes or so about his work). I also thanked him for his work on this film, of course!

It's highly recommended.
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #44 on: December 04, 2010, 08:33:46 PM »

For reasons unknown to me, there is no listing for this as yet on the IMDb. However, there's quite a bit of information on the site of Bruce Ricker's production company, Rhapsody Productions Inc.

http://www.rhapsodyproductionsinc.com/catalog/

The "electronic booklet" that's available there (as a .pdf file) seems to be outdated, as it presents the film according to its original concept, which was to tell Brubeck's story within the framework of the story of his Cannery Row Suite, presented at the Monterey Jazz Festival in 2005. As it turned out, there's no mention of that work in the finished film; if I understood Ricker correctly when he spoke afterward, they had to change their plans because they couldn't get the necessary permissions from the John Steinbeck estate. However, the booklet does include the essential information about the film:

Dave Brubeck – In His Own Sweet Way will be told with contemporary interviews, previously unseen archival film and photographs, vintage performances from the Monterey Jazz Festival, including excerpts from The Real Ambassadors, the Newport Jazz Festival and additional performances filmed especially for this documentary.

There's some really nice interview footage with Walter Cronkite, vintage 2002, for example. According to Cronkite's son Chip (who was at the premiere), the interview was done at Brubeck's request, but never used ... until Ricker unearthed it.

More importantly, the story will also be told by Dave and Iola Brubeck, both in their own words and by musical example.

Iola is Brubeck's wife. They married when she was 19 and he 21, so they've been together almost seventy years!
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #45 on: December 05, 2010, 05:15:57 PM »

Here's a couple of working links to the Dave Brubeck Quartet performing Paul Desmond's "Take Five" in 1961 and 1966. (The one D'Amb posted on the first page of this thread has been removed for a copyright claim.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwNrmYRiX_o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faJE92phKzI
higashimori
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #46 on: December 05, 2010, 07:40:41 PM »

A real treat..

I was lucky enough to be at the (theatrical) premiere tonight at Lincoln Center. "A real treat," to quote Gant.

That's great and you were lucky!  8)

And for me........!!   :(

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00wbp64/Arena_Dave_Brubeck_In_His_Own_Sweet_Way/

" They just don't make then like this anymore ."      " I just don't meet then like him anymore !! "
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #47 on: December 05, 2010, 07:47:49 PM »

It will be available on Warner Home Video in the spring! :)
higashimori
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #48 on: December 05, 2010, 07:49:17 PM »

" Brubeck beats illness to celebrate 90th and jazz "

Charles J. Gans  The Associated Press

http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/news/article/Brubeck-beats-illness-to-celebrate-90th-and-jazz-860247.php

"My early love of jazz coincided with Dave Brubeck appearing on the scene in the late 1940s and `50s," Eastwood explained in a statement. "This gave me the opportunity to see Dave in person. And as jazz was developing as a great American art form, this provided an inspiration for artistic achievement as I began pursuing an acting career." Ricker said a central theme of the film is Brubeck's enduring relationship with his wife, and lyricist, Iola, whom he married in 1942 after proposing on their first date.

Brubeck said the final scene moved him the most: It's when he is seated at the piano at Eastwood's ranch with Iola, who asks him to perform "All My Love," a ballad he wrote for their 1999 wedding anniversary.

The documentary is complemented by two 90th birthday, double-CD anthologies, "The Definitive Dave Brubeck on Fantasy, Concord Jazz and Telarc" and "Dave Brubeck: Legacy of a Legend" (Sony Legacy) with recordings from 1942 through 2004.

Brubeck, who converted to Catholicism in 1980, envisions an afterlife where he'd again see his family and jazz friends, including Louis Armstrong, Duke Ellington, Count Basie, Stan Kenton, Woody Herman and Art Tatum.

"If there's a heaven let it be a good place for all of us to jam together and have a wonderful, wonderful musical experience," Brubeck said.

That will be really fantastic ! So cool !!   8)

" They just don't make then like this anymore ."      " I just don't meet then like him anymore !! "
higashimori
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #49 on: December 05, 2010, 07:55:37 PM »

It will be available on Warner Home Video in the spring! :)

Thanks, KC !   8)

Dan Dassow
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #50 on: December 06, 2010, 03:25:51 AM »

The Hartford Courant (link)

Clint Eastwood Salutes Dave Brubeck On TCM
"In His Own Sweet Way" A Vital Biography Of The Connecticut Jazz Icon

By ROGER CATLIN, [email protected]
December 5, 2010

Take 90! Connecticut's top jazz ambassador, Dave Brubeck, reaches another milestone on his birthday Monday.

That's also the day actor, director and longtime jazz fan Clint Eastwood unveils a feature-length filmed biography on Brubeck's life.

"Dave Brubeck: In His Own Sweet Way" — a reference to one of the jazz icon's signature tunes — premieres Monday on Turner Classic Movies.

Eastwood is executive producer of the film, which allows him to sit on a piano bench with Brubeck in some scenes, adding a couple of notes as the master plays. The producer and director is Bruce Ricker, whose work has included such jazz bios as "Tony Bennett: The Music Never Ends," "Thelonious Monk: Straight No Chaser," "The Last of the Blue Devils" and "Johnny Mercer: The Dream's On Me." ...

The reason he keeps working is tackled early in Eastwood's film by jazz fan Bill Cosby, who says, "When Dave comes out and that applause goes up, at this time in his life, it is not only the dexterity, the thought, the improvisation; it is also the 'thank you.' Because that music is doing what he loves to do and what he wants to do."

The film was completed before Brubeck had a couple of health setbacks this year —- a viral infection in spring and a heart ailment in the fall that resulted in his being equipped with a pacemaker at Bridgeport Hospital. Had it been included in the narrative, surely someone would have asked: What pacemaker could ever keep up with the artist's inventive time signatures?

DAVE BRUBECK: IN HIS OWN SWEET WAY premieres Monday at 5 p.m. on TCM, preceded by the jazz films "Blues in the Night" at 7:30 a.m., "The Gene Krupa Story" at 9:30 a.m., "Young Man with a Horn" at 11:30 a.m., "The Strip" at 1:30 p.m. and "All Night Long," featuring a Brubeck performance, at 3:15 p.m.
Dan Dassow
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #51 on: December 07, 2010, 05:44:03 AM »

Mercury News (link)
Barney: Documentary is Clint Eastwood's love letter to Dave Brubeck
By Chuck Barney
Contra Costa Times

Posted: 12/06/2010 12:38:00 AM PST
Updated: 12/06/2010 04:17:59 AM PST

Raise your hand if you knew that Clint Eastwood is a huge jazz fan.

I didn't -- pardon my ignorance -- until I checked out "Dave Brubeck: In His Own Sweet Way," a new TCM documentary executive produced by the man known mainly as an action-movie star and Oscar-winning filmmaker.

Turns out that Eastwood is also a passionate audiophile. And he recalls that as a teenager growing up in the East Bay, he lied about his age in order to get into an Oakland nightclub with his pals to hear this "new guy" from Concord who was making waves on the jazz scene.

The lasting bond formed that night is tenderly reflected in this stellar 90-minute film, which debuts at 2 p.m. today on Brubeck's 90th birthday.  ...

Watching this documentary, you can't help but feel the love: Not just the love Eastwood has for Brubeck and the love Brubeck has for his music, but the love between Brubeck, and his wife, Iola. They became sweethearts in college, where he proposed after their first date and have been together ever since.

The film, in fact, fittingly closes with Iola at Brubeck's side as he plays an elegant tune he composed for her long ago, over a montage of vintage photographs capturing them over the years.

A sweet life indeed.
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #52 on: December 08, 2010, 09:13:20 AM »

With all  this great jazz your being exposed to KC.. Are you starting to enjoy it..?  :)

I watched the Brubeck doc again and enjoyed it even more second time around.
I've dug out all my Brubeck albums and am trying (and failing) to play along to em  ;)

Dan Dassow
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #53 on: December 09, 2010, 05:39:12 AM »

The Associated Press (link)
Brubeck beats illness to celebrate 90th and jazz
December 8, 2010

NEW YORK -- Dave Brubeck gingerly made his way to the bandstand through a packed Blue Note jazz club, and a smile lit up the jazz legend's face after he began playing a Duke Ellington medley he dedicated to "my favorite jazz composer, pianist, musician and friend."

The pianist, who celebrated his 90th birthday on Monday, mixed standards and originals drawn from his nearly 70-year career in a 90-minute set that left time for only a shortened "Take Five," the late alto saxophonist Paul Desmond's odd-metered tune that surprisingly put the Brubeck Quartet at the top of the pop charts nearly 50 years ago. ...

Brubeck celebrated his 90th birthday with an intimate party for family and friends Saturday night at his son, Chris' home, in Wilton.

Three of his sons -- Chris (bass and trombone), Darius (piano) and Dan (drums) -- just completed a "Brubecks Play Brubeck" British concert tour.

On Monday, four generations of Brubecks, including several great-grandchildren, gathered in the family home in the Connecticut woods to watch Turner Classic Movies broadcast "Dave Brubeck: In His Own Sweet Way," a new documentary directed by Bruce Ricker and narrated by Alec Baldwin. Its executive producer was Clint Eastwood.

"My early love of jazz coincided with Dave Brubeck appearing on the scene in the late 1940s and '50s," Eastwood explained in a statement. "This gave me the opportunity to see Dave in person. And as jazz was developing as a great American art form, this provided an inspiration for artistic achievement as I began pursuing an acting career."

Ricker said a central theme of the film is Brubeck's enduring relationship with his wife, and lyricist, Iola, whom he married in 1942 after proposing on their first date.

Brubeck said the final scene moved him the most: It's when he is seated at the piano at Eastwood's ranch with Iola, who asks him to perform "All My Love," a ballad he wrote for their 1999 wedding anniversary.
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #54 on: December 10, 2010, 12:41:33 AM »

The scene at the end with Brubeck seated at the piano with his wife playing "All My Love" to a montage of photos
and film clips of the couple over the years is the most beautiful part of the film....

Dan Dassow
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #55 on: December 10, 2010, 05:27:35 AM »

The scene at the end with Brubeck seated at the piano with his wife playing "All My Love" to a montage of photos
and film clips of the couple over the years is the most beautiful part of the film....

The user reviews on TCM's website are uniformly glowing. I hope the bio is rebroadcast, since I was at work at the time it was shown and did not think to record it.

http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title.jsp?stid=795470&category=User%20Reviews
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #56 on: December 10, 2010, 09:40:47 AM »

..and what a pad... Looks like something Frank Lloyd Wright might have designed..

Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #57 on: December 10, 2010, 01:26:05 PM »

I thought this a fabulous program and look forward to getting it on DVD when it is released.
TWOMULES

Email
« Reply #58 on: December 11, 2010, 07:51:02 AM »

I finally got round to watching this wonderful Jazz Documentary on Dave Brubeck. :)

I loved how it was all edited together with footage of the past and present day interviews. Excellent stuff! O0
higashimori
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #59 on: December 13, 2010, 08:15:33 PM »

" Brubeck finds energy in playing "   NYC gigs mark 90th birthday for jazz pianist.

Martin Gayford | Bloomberg News

http://www.journalgazette.net/article/20101211/FEAT/312119994/-1/FEAT11

Nonagenarians just aren’t what they used to be.

The start of one’s 10th decade used to be a moment for seriously slowing down. The great pianist, composer and bandleader Dave Brubeck, who celebrated his 90th birthday on Monday, marked the occasion by playing a short season at the Blue Note club in New York – and winning the poll in Downbeat magazine for “Jazz Group of the Year.”

“Isn’t that something?” he exclaimed when I talked to him recently. This must be a record: It’s 60 years since Brubeck and his band first won a Downbeat Poll.

What’s his secret? He obviously just loves playing music. That’s clear from the BBC Arena documentary, “In His Own Sweet Way,” coproduced by Clint Eastwood.

“The worst thing about the life of a jazz musician on the road is getting to the gig,” Brubeck says. “Once you’re there and playing, it’s marvelous. I played two concerts last weekend, and they both went wonderfully. I hadn’t played for three months with my group. It was the greatest feeling to be back.”

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T