News: Now showing in theaters: CRY MACHO, directed by and starring Clint Eastwood!

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: PALE RIDER: Business and Box Office 3: Other Promotional Items  (Read 6068 times)
Brendan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« on: April 03, 2007, 09:57:54 PM »

Upon their original release, films are promoted by posters of various formats, but also by means of such things as book tie-in editions, soundtracks, novelty items, and of course advertisements in the press. When they are released on video, the artwork chosen for the video packages becomes part of the promotional material. If your collection includes promotional items other than posters for Pale Rider, or if you would just like to post images and discuss them, this thread is the place.
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2007, 05:33:55 AM »

I have the paperback edition of the novelization of Pale Rider and flicking through it a few nights ago I noticed some changes from what we see in the film and what's in the book.Which I know happens all the time.

In the book The Preacher doesn't appear at the end of town as Hull is getting beaten,he is already in town having coffee in the store where Hull made his purchases.

Also the preacher doesn't attack LaHood's men with a nice bit of hickory but uses the bucket he douses the fire with to smash over their heads.

The book also has eight pages of black and white photos from the film in the center and including one of Clint posing with the piece of hickory.

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
Lilly
Member Extraordinaire

"If she looks back..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2007, 05:43:45 AM »

Here's a photo of one edition of the book.

Of course there was the old Pale Rider Ale, which was not a promotional item for the film, rather used the film to promote the beer.  Cal has written up the details: http://www.clinteastwood.net/paleriderale.html

Lilly
Member Extraordinaire

"If she looks back..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2007, 05:49:28 AM »

Another cover.

Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2007, 11:43:08 AM »

"Now a major film starring Clint Eastwood" almost makes it sound like the book came first. ??? That struck me as odd. I even had to look on the back of the DVD case to make sure that the screenplay wasn't based on a book.
Americanbeauty
Member Extraordinaire

There's a darkness inside all of us ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2007, 04:04:00 PM »

One of my favorite items is this ad that I purchased on eBay around 2 years ago.
I framed it  O0
I haven't seen it since.

Make-'em-run-around-the-block-howling-in-agony stunning

"He that hath no beard is less than a man, and he that is less than a man, I am not for him…" 'Much Ado About Nothing' Act 2, Scene I (William Shakespeare)

http://americanbphotography.tumblr.com/
Brendan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2007, 08:03:54 AM »

What does it say on that ad, AB?
Americanbeauty
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2007, 11:13:55 AM »

I don't have it here with me, but I'll make sure to check what it says on it when I get back home  O0

"He that hath no beard is less than a man, and he that is less than a man, I am not for him…" 'Much Ado About Nothing' Act 2, Scene I (William Shakespeare)

Americanbeauty
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2007, 01:53:25 PM »

What does it say on that ad, AB?
Here's what it says:

"Eastwood, who not only stars in 'Pale Rider' but also directed it, handles both jobs with such intelligence and facility I'm just now beginning to realize that it's taken all these years for most of us to recognize his very consistent grace and wit as a filmmaker."
- THE NEW YORK TIMES, Vincent Canby

"Eastwood's instincts as an artist are well-nigh inspiring. He has managed to keep the Western genre alive through his heroic persona."
- THE VILLAGE VOICE, Andrew Sarris

A salute to Eastwood for his performance as both director and star -and for his proof that the Western can be just as vital, stirring and physically beautiful now as in its heyday."
- LOS ANGELES TIMES, Michael Wilmington

I'll post a scan in a minute ...

Americanbeauty
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2007, 02:07:54 PM »

Here's the scan

The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2010, 06:19:58 PM »

Thanks, everyone! This thread is now locked.  Please post any additional thoughts you have on this topic in the Westerns forum.

The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2011, 04:39:18 AM »

This topic has been temporarily unlocked.  Feel free to post any additional thoughts or discussion here.

The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2011, 01:13:05 AM »

Thanks, everyone! This thread is now locked.  Please post any additional thoughts you have on this topic in the Clint Eastwood Western forum.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T