News: Now showing in theaters: CRY MACHO, directed by and starring Clint Eastwood!

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: PALE RIDER: Business and Box Office 2: The Poster  (Read 5165 times)
Brendan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« on: April 03, 2007, 09:59:26 PM »

What is your opinion of these posters? Would they make you want to see the film? Which do you like better? If you have seen other posters for this film, if possible post images here and tell us how they compare and which you prefer.

Some other posters used to promote Pale Rider can be found here:

http://eastwoodfilmposters.sphosting.com/N_S/Pale_Rider/Pale_Rider.html
Brendan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2007, 11:40:40 PM »

Is it just me or is Clint's head a little lop sided in the second one?

I think the first poster is alright. The tagline: "... and hell followed with him." is interesting but all in all it doesn't really make me want to see the film. The second poster gives the impression that it's Clint shooting people up. So I guess some people could get a little confused upon seeing the film that it's not a full out action movie. I must say though that this Czech poster makes no sense to me:

The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2007, 04:23:11 AM »

I prefer the poster on the left as the one on the right is too red for my liking,which I suppose is playing on the tag line of "And hell followed with him".

To me the one on the left looks like Clint is appearing through clouds which could be another take on who he really is?

That Czech poster is totally bizarre. :o

« Last Edit: April 04, 2007, 04:24:30 AM by The Schofield Kid » Logged

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
Lilly
Member Extraordinaire

"If she looks back..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2007, 07:26:54 AM »

I think both posters are decent, but nothing you'd rave about.  I certainly prefer the left hand one, and agree with SK that the other one is a bit too red.  The colour scheme doesn't evoke the movie for me, and like Brendan says, gives the impression of a more violent western.  The colour makes me think it might be set in Mexico, or the hot southwestern desert, rather than the rather refreshing sierras.  I would have liked to see a poster exploiting the beautiful snow scenes with Clint on the lovely grey horse.

I do like the tagline, and it would be enticing to any fan that was familiar with the Bible.
Lilly
Member Extraordinaire

"If she looks back..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2007, 07:53:24 AM »

Incidentally, here is a lobby card I quite like, which does show a snow scene.

D'Ambrosia
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2007, 09:20:07 PM »

Is it just me or is Clint's head a little lop sided in the second one?

Your right Brendan, it does look as if the Preacher’s head is cocked over to his left some what unnaturally.  Could be some that some supernatural beings head’s don’t stay on straight. 

What is with that Czech one?  That looks as if it belongs in the “Guns” thread.

Americanbeauty
Member Extraordinaire

There's a darkness inside all of us ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2007, 04:54:54 PM »

Nothing extraordinary about the posters. But I love the tagline  O0

Is it me or in the second one, Preacher almost looks like a holy figure -or at least that's what the poster wants us to believe)? The yellow/orange circle around his head could be the sun but it could also be interpreted as a halo (like angels have)
Red background evocative of Hell and yellow halo evocative of Heaven show the dual nature of the Preacher -good or evil?

So even though I think that the first one is better visually, the second one is probably symbolically superior -if that makes sense.

They should have used pictures, if you ask me. Same thing happened with Honkytonk Man (I'm talking about the US poster). They used a drawing instead of a picture. That was a bad idea. I think that poster is one of the ugliest of all Eastwood films  :-X

This picture would have made a better poster:

Make-'em-run-around-the-block-howling-in-agony stunning

"He that hath no beard is less than a man, and he that is less than a man, I am not for him…" 'Much Ado About Nothing' Act 2, Scene I (William Shakespeare)

http://americanbphotography.tumblr.com/
Walt
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2007, 10:21:10 AM »

I've always liked both images though I prefer the first one. They have a "classic" western feel to them and are so much better than the photoshop images we have come to expect nowadays.
Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2007, 02:54:41 PM »

I agree with Walt, the first one is the one I like best. There is a Western feel to them but there is also something special about the first that does not seem to be in the second poster.
WeAllHaveItCominKid
Member Extraordinaire

They got a sign on him in front of Greely's?

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2007, 09:31:57 PM »

I love the first poster, preticularly the one on the right in the first post here. It has that old school feel to it, the way poster art looked years ago. You do not see posters like this anymore. Being such a big fan of the western genre, if I was to look at this poster before seeing the film, it would make me want to see this film ASAP. It has that gritty look to it, and Clint looks awesome.

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2010, 06:21:11 PM »

Thanks, everyone! This thread is now locked.  Please post any additional thoughts you have on this topic in the Westerns forum.

The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2011, 04:51:09 AM »

This topic has been temporarily unlocked.  Feel free to post any additional thoughts or discussion here.

The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2011, 01:13:52 AM »

Thanks, everyone! This thread is now locked.  Please post any additional thoughts you have on this topic in the Clint Eastwood Western forum.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T