News: Now in post-production: THE MULE, directed by and starring Clint Eastwood!

« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rumors about Clint Eastwood's cigarette trick  (Read 74923 times)
some_one

View Profile Email
« on: April 18, 2007, 02:03:06 PM »

Rumors have been circulating in Sweden about a certain "cigarette trick" clint eastoo supposedly performed in a talk show. Some say it happened during his appearance in Stina Lundberg-Dabrowski's talk show, while others claim it happened in another place and time.

The performance is said to consist of following:
The interviewer asks: What makes you so cool, Clint?
whereat Clint flick off a cigarette from his breast pocket, catch it with his mouth and say: Gee, I don't know (/Next question /You tell me)

Now, to my point: This rumor has circulated for years, but few has actually seen it, so my question to all you is; has this really happened, or is it just a rumor? Many of us wonders and have researched about this happening without getting any real answers...

so if anyone knows anything. please answer..
Fhil
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2007, 02:18:02 PM »

That sounds pretty awesome. O0
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2007, 05:49:08 PM »

As far as anyone here knows, it's just a rumor (or perhaps a Swedish urban legend). Clint is a non-smoker, and I have never seen him smoke outside of a scene in a movie that called for it.

See this thread:

http://www.clinteastwood.org/forums/index.php?topic=5694.0

Since the rumor is so persistent, I'm inclined to think that the incident must have happened, but featuring some actor other than Clint.
D'Ambrosia
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2007, 06:32:27 PM »

I don't know... To me that really doesn't sound like something Clint would do but I guess it's possible...
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2007, 10:06:28 PM »

some_one, I've found the thread on the Swedish "Flashback" site where this matter is discussed for fifteen pages! And where you posted at the end and mentioned having posted this thread here.

http://www.flashback.info/showthread.php?t=312142

It seems everyone has a memory of having seen the clip on the Internet, or knows someone who has, but no one can find it. And several different interviewers and occasions are named, ranging from Cannes to the Swedish Lundberg-Dabrowski talk show to Wogan on the BBC. (There's a link to a story in a Danish paper to back this last version up: http://ekstrabladet.dk/flash/filmogtv/film/article146430.ece , for those who read Danish. There's no source given in the Danish story.)

It really sounds like an "urban legend" to me, but I wonder what could possibly be at the bottom of it?

Cure

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2007, 09:05:13 AM »

KC: Thanks for taking your time looking into the matter.

Since so many people seem to be so very sure they've seen it, it's really is strange that the clip is no where to be found. Some people even says they remember the color of his shirt.

In the thread, on flashback, where I found this link, people have been in contact with tv-producers, movie-experts and some journalist. The fun thing is that even some of these people seem to remember the clip, but cant recall from where. I actually found the swedish-thread after a buddy told me about "the coooolest clip in the whole world", eg. Eastwood flippin that cigarette.

Anyways, I must ask, are you from sweden? (You seemed to understand the content well, of both the swedish thread and the danish newspaper)

But.. If the hardcore fans on this forum isnt aware of this clip, it would be quite strange if it exists.

Can I Be so bold to ask, would it be possible to make a newspost about this event (maybe on http://www.clinteastwood.net/welcome.html), with an link to an appropiate thread on the forum? Could be fun to see if the myth (if it really is a myth) is well spread. Or maybe some user can actually identify another person who did this trick during an interview. Could be fun :)

Anyways. Thanks for the comments. Have fun!
Cure
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2007, 09:34:25 PM »

Hi, Cure. I'm not from Sweden, but I do read and understand Swedish and Danish (and Norwegian). I didn't read that whole long thread on Flashback, but I skimmed through it, and I read the Danish newspaper story.

The content on this site outside of the Web Board is determined by the Webmaster, Cal Anderson. I can't speak for him but personally, I wouldn't want to add a vague rumor like this to the main content of the site.

But thanks for posting, and welcome to the Board!
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

The real me

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2007, 06:34:25 AM »

Seems like I might vaguely remember seeing a clip of an actor do something like this. Maybe John Cassavetes. ???
Alcatraz
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2007, 01:39:23 PM »

Never heard of that. That does sound pretty awesome though.

"Reality continues to ruin my life" - Calvin
Hammerhead

Get the hell out of the way, hammerhead.

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2007, 03:34:14 PM »

I heard the rumour too, years ago, from a non-internet source, apparently he did it on the Michael Aspel show here in the UK.

But you have to think that if it was true it would have been on youtube by now.
Philo Beddoe Jr
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2007, 11:09:55 AM »

cool trick

maybe it was Terrence Hill?

sightness

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2007, 02:34:06 PM »

I've heard of a video-clip where somebody(a reporter) asks Clint if he really is hard in real life. Clint responds to the question by snapping his chestpocket so that a ciggarette jumps up and he catches it in his mouth. Has anybody heard of or seen this?

Thanks
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2007, 03:58:33 PM »

I've PMd sightness to tell him we've merged his post into this older thread. This rumor is extremely persistent, at least in Scandinavia and Germany!
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2007, 04:13:49 PM »

I clicked the link in the fifth post from the top to the Swedish "Flashback" site. That thread continues ... it's now gone to 24 pages, and it's still the same: Everyone remembers seeing the video or knows someone who has, but no one can produce it.

This was posted just after midnight on October 1st (Swedish time):

Sitter hos en polare nu men vet att jag har den filmsnutten sparad på datorn hemma. Kan ladda upp den när jag kommer hem imorrn..

"I'm at a buddy's place now but I know I have that film clip saved on my computer at home. I can upload it when I come home tomorrow."

Everyone is still waiting ... ;)
jtobin13

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2007, 04:48:09 AM »

no smoking is enforced any where near it on set
Philo Beddoe Jr
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2007, 07:28:07 AM »

Everyone is still waiting ... ;)

Well did he post it?  I gottsta know....

KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2007, 09:18:38 AM »

Well did he post it?  I gottsta know....

Nope.

The thread may finally have died (at 27 pages). Last post was on October 12.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2009, 04:57:28 PM by KC » Logged
_Clintan_

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2009, 07:57:45 AM »

Sorry for the bump, but I thought it might interest you to know that the thread is still alive and kicking with 31 pages, got a response just 2 weeks ago. Apparently there is a guy over there who says he is certain that it was Clint who did this trick, he has a very good memory of it. He can also verify that it happened on Stina Lundberg-Dabrowski's talk show. It must have been taken place during the 90's because he was an avid smoker up 'til 1997. However, no video has been posted yet.

KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2009, 08:36:27 PM »

The guy who revived the thread (after about a year's pause) calls himself "unmaster" ... and here's what he had to say (posted March 6):

According to Ganja, only an idiot would post here without having irrefutable evidence that this happened ... in the form of a video clip, for example .. So I may well be considered an idiot, but I still have to speak out.

I want to declare as emphatically as possible that this is NOT a myth. I remember clearly the interview Stina did with Clint and what he did with the ciggy. I was relatively young and a smoker myself at the time and seeing what he did made me try for several months to get it down myself.

The trick was "simple" in its design but more or less impossible for me to do. Clint is wearing a shirt with a breast pocket. Stina asks (and I don't remember who in the thread wrote it, but this was the question):

"How come you're so cool?" (Not necessarily EXACTLY word for word, but that was the meaning.)

Clint leans slightly forward, puts one hand under his breast pocket, and slaps it from underneath. the way you might flick a bread crumb off the table, which causes ONE cigarette to fly up, which he catches in the corner of his mouth. As nearly as I can recall, he never lights up, but he looks up at Stina and answers something like:

"I don't know, you tell me."

Probably (though I didn't realize it then) this wasn't spontaneous, but something they asked him to do (i.e. something cool). They could have done xx retakes also, since it's sure as hell not easy (I never managed to do it ...)

As I said, that made a great impression on me, and it was a recurring topic of conversation (which I would bring up, since there were very few of my friends who'd seen the interview) in the following months.

I found my way here just now because I'd read a little about "Clintan"'s latest films on the IMDb. For some reason I happened to remember that awfully cool ciggy-trick he did, and I started to search YouTube, without success. Then I did searches on Google and found this thread ...

I SAW IT MYSELF. I didn't hear it from any of my buddies, I was the one who told them about it.

That Stina herself has forgotten it is too bad, but she's getting up in years and I think maybe the cigarette thing didn't make so much of an impression on her that she retains it (she's older and probably has some different ideas about what might be memorable than I had at that age). Surely she remembers every minute of the interviews with Yasser Arafat, Khadaffi or Mandela. Besides, the interview was, as far as I can remember, pretty wretched / bad.

There must be some archive where it exists at TV3 ...?

I want to take this chance to ask you not to give up ... I'll try to find it too, any place I still can turn to look for it.

... and believe me or not, that's up to you, but it DID happen ...

https://www.flashback.info/showpost.php?p=15478087&postcount=353

The more I hear about this, the more convinced I am that it's a real incident. However, I still am not convinced that the person performing the "trick" was Clint. He doesn't smoke except for a role, he's always believed in living a healthy lifestyle and I'm sure he doesn't see anything "cool" about smoking. I'm also pretty sure that by the time he was in his 60s (when this interview would have taken place, according to "unmaster"), he was beyond doing "stupid pet tricks" for a television interview.
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2009, 10:09:09 PM »

I found another post by "unmaster" on another forum, and this time I don't have to translate, since it's in English. Pretty much the same story:

http://www.movieforums.com/community/showpost.php?s=f652b1d9ff48ca5c3c0ce3e2ed97f391&p=506973&postcount=24

There more similar stuff in the thread, this time from Britishers who remember seeing it on one of their shows.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T