News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 27 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Movie Night—UNFORGIVEN, June 10, 2007  (Read 89647 times)
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« on: June 06, 2007, 06:35:25 PM »

This is the Movie Night discussion thread for Unforgiven. We'll meet here up to an hour before we start rolling the film. For anyone who'd like to join us... have your Unforgiven DVD ready to play on Sunday, June 10th. Check here to see what time we'll be starting the film in your area:

U.S. West Coast (PDT) - 1:00 PM
      Mid-U.S. (CDT) - 3:00 PM
      U.S. East Coast (EDT) - 4:00 PM
      Great Britain, Portugal (BST, WEST) - 9:00 PM
      France, Italy (CEST) - 10:00 PM
      Finland (EEST) - 11:00 PM
      New South Wales, Australia 6:00 AM (EST) Monday, June 11

PLEASE NOTE: This is one hour EARLIER than our usual starting time for Movie Night. This is an experiment—if there is anyone who CANNOT make it at this time, but could make it at the usual time of 5:00 PM, US EDT, please PM me. There's still time to change it back.

If anyone needs to check any other time zones, this is the converter I used:
http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/converter.html

We'll be starting the movie at the first frame where you can see "Warner Bros. Pictures", "A Time Warner Company":

On the R-1 DVD, this is at 0:00:03 on the counter. Set up your movie here, and pause. We'll all be hitting "Start" at exactly the top of the hour.

We'll be taking three short breaks during the film. The first break is at the beginning of Chapter 10 (31:39 on the R-1 DVD):

This is just after the scene with Munny and Ned by the campfire on their first night on the trail. (Munny: "I'm just a fella now. I ain't no different than anyone else, no more.")

The second break is at the beginning of Chapter 17. On the R-1 DVD, this is at 1:06:43:

This is just after the scene in which the three bounty hunters mount and ride off in the rain. (Ned: "Still think it's gonna be easy to kill them cowboys?" Munny: "if we don't drown first.")

The third break is near the end of Chapter 24. On the R1 DVD this is at 1:40:22:

This is just after the scene in which Ned is brought back to Big Whiskey. (Little Bill: "I'll be glad to hear the names and whereabouts of those murderous sons of b!tches.")

I hope to see as many members here as possible on Sunday

(I'm starting this thread early so the event could be added to the calendar--all events must have a thread to link to.)

P.S., the times indicated above are for the NTSC Region 1 "Special Edition" DVD. They will be different from Region 2. The older, original Region 1 DVD release has the same chapter breaks, but the counter may be different.

(Thanks to Matt for providing the "thread starting" text and pictures. Except for the new times, all the above is from the last Unforgiven Movie Night thread.  8) )
« Last Edit: June 06, 2007, 06:36:41 PM by KC » Logged
Fhil
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2007, 08:31:46 PM »

How long are the breaks?
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2007, 09:18:25 PM »

Usually around ten minutes. :)
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2007, 08:23:34 AM »

For those who want some food for thought before the movie, I posted a link to an interesting essay on Unforgiven from a Christian perspective in this thread:

http://www.clinteastwood.org/forums/index.php?topic=6770.0
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2007, 08:50:47 AM »

A reminder about how to turn of the "warning" message that someone else has posted while you were typing... Let me quote a post of mine from the Tightrope Movie Night thread:

I wanted to mention one thing that should help make this thread more fun for everyone. By default, this board gives you a warning message when someone else has posted while you're writing a post. That can get very frustrating in the heat of things in these threads ... but now the feature can be turned off, temporarily (or permanently if you prefer).

To turn it off, click the link on the brown bar near the top of the page to your profile:

You'll go to your profile page. On the left-hand side, there's a list of stuff you can do here including "Modify profile." Under that heading, click the link to "Look and Layout Preferences." Now you'll see some choices with little white checkboxes next to them. One of them is "Don't warn on new replies made while posting." Click in that box so there's a check mark there. Then, in the lower right hand corner, click "Change profile" and you're all set.

I find it also helps to use the keyboard shortcut when posting: alt+s. (Or in the latest version of Firefox, alt+shift+s.)

Another useful thing to do before the Movie Night starts is to turn on Quick Reply. In brief, on the "Look and Layout Preferences" section of your Profile page, make sure that next to the line "Use quick reply on topic display" it says "Show, on by default." Then you'll be able to type your post right in the "quick reply" box at the bottom of the thread, and you won't have to wait for a "Reply" page to open.
Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2007, 12:08:21 PM »

Well I am here but my DVD player on the PC is acting up.   I am going to try to fix it and will join in as soon as I can.
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2007, 12:10:17 PM »

Good luck, Lin! Less than an hour to go, now!
Fhil
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2007, 12:16:00 PM »

I'm here!  One question though, on my DVD the Warner Bros. logo is shown twice in succsession.  We're starting at 3 seconds on the first time it is shown?
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2007, 12:23:07 PM »

You want the widescreen logo, as in the picture in the first post in this thread. The counter on the Region 1 Special Edition DVD should read 3 seconds at that point.

This logo fades to black, and then the first shot fades in: Extreme long shot, the Munny sod hut at sundown, as "Claudia's Theme" begins on the soundtrack.
Fhil
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2007, 12:34:20 PM »

Mine is a fullscreen one.  The WB logo comes up, then it says "This film has been formatted for your screen..." and then another WB logo comes up.  The shot of Munny comes up at 14 seconds.
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2007, 12:35:06 PM »

You need a widescreen version of the film! You're losing nearly half of the visual information if you watch it pan and scan! :o
Fhil
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2007, 12:37:14 PM »

Then I can just turn it over to the widescreen side.  :D
-satu-
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2007, 12:48:38 PM »

I'm here, ready. It will be difficult to write, because I have these fake nails (cant wear them at work, so ill wear them on holiday) but ill try. dont mind the mistakes :D

Could anyone else have seen the beauty of it?
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2007, 12:50:34 PM »

Then I can just turn it over to the widescreen side.  :D
Atta way, Fhil! Bite the widescreen bullet ... you might like it! ;)
-satu-
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2007, 12:52:55 PM »

my computer is quite slow today, so refreshing the page
 is difficult too, but i'll try to keep on with the messages :)

Fhil
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2007, 12:53:21 PM »

Done and done.  I've got the starting point all figured out too, I'm now ready to go! o0
JSE

Email
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2007, 12:54:06 PM »

Hi everyone!
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2007, 12:54:26 PM »

Morning everyone. :)

Can't remember if I've ever watched a film this early before.

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
-satu-
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2007, 12:54:46 PM »

Hi JSE, nice to have you here. The more people, the better. :)

D'Ambrosia
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2007, 12:55:43 PM »

Locked and loaded and ready to go!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 27 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T