News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: UNFORGIVEN from a Christian perspective  (Read 3116 times)
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« on: June 08, 2007, 09:07:43 PM »

For obvious reasons, I am almost as reluctant to bring up religion on this board as politics. But I came across this essay by accident, and I think it has so many good insights about the movie that I wanted to share it with you all before we have Unforgiven for our Movie Night this coming Sunday. (If anyone finds an essay about Unforgiven from a Muslim or Buddhist perspective, I'd like to see them too. ;) )

The author, Seth Studer, takes off from the parable in Luke about the Pharisee and the tax collector (or publican, as the King James version had it) ... in Studer's view, the Pharisee is like Little Bill, and the tax collector is like Munny.

In Luke's gospel, we read how Christ would tell a specific parable to the haughty and self-righteous. This parable dealt with a Pharisee and a tax collector who prayed side-by-side in the Temple. The Pharisee prayed, "God, I thank You that I am not like other people: swindlers, unjust, adulterers, or even like this tax collector. I fast twice a week; I pay tithes of all that I get." Meanwhile, the tax collector, "unwilling to lift up his eyes to heaven," beat himself and prayed, "God, be merciful to me, the sinner!" Of the tax collector, Christ said, "I tell you, this man went to his house justified rather than the other."

Read the rest here ...
http://www.vagrantcafe.com/christiancinema/2003_11_18_archive.htm

Lilly
Member Extraordinaire

"If she looks back..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2007, 03:31:23 AM »

Thanks, KC. O0  Any new discussion of Unforgiven is always welcome.  And yes, it's surely legitimate to discuss Christian perspectives on a film laden with themes of redemption, vengeance and forgiveness.  And Protestant Christianity would have been the dominant religion in Big Whiskey (despite the "ungodly" activities that went on there!).  I can't remember, do we see a church at all?
« Last Edit: June 09, 2007, 07:36:18 PM by Lilly » Logged
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2007, 07:54:41 AM »

I think there is a church on the very outskirts of town. There's never any explicit mention of religion or the Church or God (except in curses), but it has always struck me too that Christian themes underlie the story as they would have been ingrained into the mentality of the characters living in that time and place.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T