News: See SULLY, starring Tom Hanks, now streaming and on DVD and Blu-ray!

« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Bruce Springsteen Appreciation Thread  (Read 38113 times)
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« on: July 12, 2007, 08:18:58 PM »

Welcome to The Bruce Springsteen Appreciation thread.

The thread for all fans of “The Boss” and The E Street Band to gather and discuss his music.I think there are at least a couple of us here on the board.

I'll be posting links to some of my favorite songs from Springsteen's first album right through to his latest.

These links will only be available for a limited time as they will be replaced with new links each time.

So, let's start at the beginning.

Bruce Springsteen and the E Street band released their first album in 1973.

Titled “Greetings From Asbury Park, N J ” and straight away critics were calling him the new Bob Dylan.

Although not a commercial success, the album opens up with Blinded By The Light, which was also released as the album’s first single, but it failed on the charts. In 1977 Manfred Mann’s Earth Band had better success with it, when their cover version went to number 1.

My personal favorite from the album is the second track, “Growin’ Up” which is still getting played by Springsteen at his concerts.

Growin' Up

(Link no longer available)
« Last Edit: July 19, 2007, 05:38:19 PM by The Schofield Kid » Logged

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
Richard Earl
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2007, 09:17:47 PM »

I have not heard much of Bruce's lp's all the way through.  I do like the man's music though. The "Nebraska" record is on my top albums of all time list which I am sure you will get to SK. I will see if I can find somw copies of his other albums so I can participate in this thread.

Music speaks louder then words. It's the only thing that the whole world listens to. (Peter, Paul & Mary)
Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2007, 04:49:03 AM »

Hey Kid  Thank you for starting this thread.     Great to see The Boss on this board.   :) :)
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2007, 03:35:05 AM »

Another favorite of mine from “Greetings From Asbury Park, N J ”

The final track on the album.

It's Hard To Be A Saint In The City
(Link no longer available)
« Last Edit: July 19, 2007, 05:39:12 PM by The Schofield Kid » Logged

Brendan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2007, 02:05:40 PM »

I got into The Boss many years ago. His "Live in New York' concert was on TV channel that's commercial free in Canada (TMN) late at night and I decided to watch it. I couldn't believe it. The man never stopped. They just kept going and going for three hours. I could feel the energy coming through the TV and I wanted to crank up the volume. I went out and bought the album the next day and I love popping it in every now and then. The 'Born to Run', 'Land of Hope and Dreams' and 'American Skin' tracks are great.

I used to work with someone who turned out was a Bruce-aholic. He went to eleven shows during The Rising tour. He would also get good seats at one concert and trade for good ones at a closer event. Doing this he ended up at front stage in 5 of those 11.  :o

I think I like Springsteen for the same reasons I like Mellencamp: they both seem to be honest in their lyrics. They sing about everyday jobs and people. The hard times. The truth.

'Devils and Dust' was good but I'd love for a new, rocking album by him and the E Street Band.  8)
Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2007, 10:58:24 PM »

I love the piano opening to It's Hard To Be A Saint In The City.

The reasons Brendan likes The Boss are pretty much mine too.   I always feel there is something honest about his lyrics and something exceptional about the music.

Thanks again Kid, I am really enjoying this thread. O0
Doug
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

"May I make a suggestion..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2007, 02:25:35 AM »

Hey, Kid, great idea for a Springsteen thread.  I've never given him much of a chance, but recently I've listened with fresh ears to some of his music, and lets say I could become something of a fan of his should my curiosity be picqued.  I'll be looking forward to your posts!

"Yes, well, when I see five weirdos dressed in togas stabbing a guy in the middle of a park in full view of a hundred people, I shoot the bastards, that's my policy."  Frank Drebin, Police Squad.
Sylvie
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2007, 03:34:34 AM »

I must admit that I don't really know Bruce Springsteen songs ... except "Born in The USA" and "Philadelphia" ...
I am thinking that I've even never listened to a whole album ... shame on me  :-[

"If she looks back, that means she's interested . Come on now, give me a little look. One little glance back..."

2007 Movie journal
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2007, 03:19:41 AM »

I've decided to go through the Springsteen's albums at one per week,so it should keep me busy for six months or so.

So each Friday, the previous week's tracks will no longer be available when they will be replaced by tracks off the next album for that week.

Clint Van Wallach

Email
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2007, 06:37:29 AM »

My friends and I often lament the fact that we had several opportunities to see Springsteen in his early days. We still rehash the time we were sitting in a movie theatre in Paramus, N.J. in  the early 70s and an announcer began reading off the upcoming events. He said something like, "and next week Bruce Springsteen will be here for all you Bruce Springsteen fans," and we were like, "who's Bruce Springsteen?"  The entire theatre was pretty much oblivious. Hard to believe, but I don't remember anyone clapping or screaming or saying anything for that matter. Just another local band as far as we were concerned.
That all changed of course and I became a huge fan later on. Still keep quite a few of his songs in my mp3 and play them when I'm doing cardio exercises at the gym. Songs like "Glory Days," The Ties That Bind," "Spirit in the Night," to name a few, really get me going on the treadmill or the elliptical cross trainer. I mean, I just zone out and GO! Ironic that I'm getting healthy to the  music I was partyin' to 25  to 30 years ago. :)

I would recommend  The Essential Bruce Springsteen for anyone new to "The Boss." Hardcore fans may argue what should  or should not  be on the CD but overall it's a great compilation.
Canadian Lady
Member Extraordinaire

Every Day is a Good Day!!

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2007, 09:08:26 AM »

Great idea for this Appreciation thread of " The Boss".  I too am a fan! I got into Bruce, from listening to him with my dad, he is a bigger fan than I am!!  I look forward to learning more about him, thanks!

I don't even know what street Canada is on.
- Al Capone
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2007, 06:26:22 PM »

"The Wild, the Innocent & the E Street Shuffle"

Bruce Springsteen second album released after only eight months since his debut album, again had little commercial success,but again the critics drew comparisons with Bob Dylan.

The songs seemed more grander and personal such as 4th of  July, Asbury Park.(Sandy), and the soon to be crowd favorite at every Springsteen concert for nearly two decades, Rosalita (Come out Tonight).

After the release of the album, Springsteen hit the road playing concerts throughout the U.S and in May of 1974, music critic Jon Landau attended a concert at Massachusetts, and declared “ I saw rock and roll future, and it’s name is Bruce Springsteen.”

The E Street Shuffle

4th of July Asbury Park (Sandy)

Rosalita (Come out Tonight)

(Links no longer available)

Next Week: Born To Run
« Last Edit: July 26, 2007, 08:52:38 PM by The Schofield Kid » Logged

WeAllHaveItCominKid
Member Extraordinaire

They got a sign on him in front of Greely's?

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2007, 04:21:17 PM »

Neat thread. I own quite a bit of Bruce's music. I'm a big fan.

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2007, 08:55:32 PM »

1975 would prove to be the breakthrough year in the career of Bruce Springsteen.

In July he would start a six month long tour to promote his forthcoming album,which would include his first concerts in Europe.Although Springsteen is not happy with all the hype and he rips down posters in London that say “Finally the world is ready for Bruce Springsteen.”

The critcs agreed after his first show in London calling him “ No more than a second or even third rate Dylan.”

On October 27, Springsteen appears on the covers of both Time and Newsweek.

The album Born To Run would reach number 3 on the billboard charts and stay in the top 100 for more than two years.

More recently the album was ranked #18 in Rolling Stone Magazine’s 500 greatest album’s list.

Unfortunately just as it looked like “The Boss” had finally made it, a legal battle with his manager Mike Appel almost kills his career as a court injunction prevents him from recording a new album and the proceedings drag on for nearly two years before the situation is resolved.In all that time Springsteen travelled across the US playing concert after concert just to make ends meet.

Thunder Road

Tenth Ave Freeze-out

Born To Run

Next Week: Darkness On The Edge Of Town
« Last Edit: August 02, 2007, 10:27:59 PM by The Schofield Kid » Logged

The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2007, 10:29:24 PM »

After nearly three years since Born to Run, Springsteen fourth album, Darkness On The Edge Of Town is released.

The album is a complete turnaround from the first three,with a much darker tone in the songs and lyrics of regret,failure and missed opportunities. Some say the bitterness in some of the tracks stem from all his legal troubles of the past two years.

Although the album failed to match Born To Run in sales and did not contain any hit singles, the album is considered one of Bruce’s best by the critics.

The Promised Land

Factory

Prove It All Night

Darkness On The Edge Of Town

Next Week: The River Part One
« Last Edit: August 09, 2007, 10:14:12 PM by The Schofield Kid » Logged

The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2007, 10:37:37 PM »

In 1979 Bruce Springsteen was all set to release an album titled “The Ties That Bind”,but pulled it at the last minute to add further tracks.Some tracks were also leftover from the Darkness On The Edge Of Town album.

Finally in October 1980 The River is released. It becomes Springsteen’s first album to reach number 1 on the Billboard charts,and the single Hungry Heart becomes his first top ten hit. A song he originally wrote for The Ramones, but producer Jon Landau convinced Springsteen to record it himself.

The River is noted for it’s mix of throw away pop songs to the very dark and solemn.On the vinyl version of the album, it was a double album with four sides.Each side started with an upbeat track and finished with a much slower darker track.

Two Hearts

Independence Day

Hungry Heart

You Can Look

The River

Next week: The River Part 2
« Last Edit: August 16, 2007, 09:52:57 PM by The Schofield Kid » Logged

The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2007, 10:52:47 AM »

A brand new Bruce Springsteen and The E Street Band album to be released October 2, 2007!!!!!

http://www.brucespringsteen.net/

WeAllHaveItCominKid
Member Extraordinaire

They got a sign on him in front of Greely's?

View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2007, 11:20:18 AM »

A brand new Bruce Springsteen and The E Street Band album to be released October 2, 2007!!!!!

http://www.brucespringsteen.net/

Yeah, I was reading about this a month ago. It's always exciting when the whole band gets together. What I'm wondering is Patti Scialfa going to be involved? I know her and Bruce had split.

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."
lovelyrita

Yeah? Well I've got MediCare, go ahead and shoot

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2007, 06:18:13 PM »

Bruce is hot , I know not very intellectual but something to be appreciated!  ;)
Richard Earl
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2007, 07:57:26 PM »

This is a good thread. I will be getting these records as time goes by. The cool thing is I can go back and post my thoughts. O0

Music speaks louder then words. It's the only thing that the whole world listens to. (Peter, Paul & Mary)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T