News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Bruce Springsteen Appreciation Thread  (Read 37536 times)
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2007, 10:13:30 PM »

We continue this week with selected tracks from the second disc from The River.

Cadillac Ranch

Stolen Car

Ramrod

Wreck On The Highway

(Links no longer available)

Next Week: Nebraska
« Last Edit: August 23, 2007, 10:25:28 PM by The Schofield Kid » Logged

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
Richard Earl
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2007, 11:10:48 PM »

I am cannot wait to talk about the Nebraska album. That is one record that the songs bring tears to my eyes. They really do which speaks volumes.

Music speaks louder then words. It's the only thing that the whole world listens to. (Peter, Paul & Mary)
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2007, 12:25:26 AM »

I am cannot wait to talk about the Nebraska album. That is one record that the songs bring tears to my eyes. They really do which speaks volumes.

I'm having trouble narrowing down the four tracks to select to post for next weeks installment. There's too many great songs on that album.

The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2007, 10:31:01 PM »

In 1982 Bruce Springsteen released Nebraska. This was a real eye opener. Gone were the E Street band, and using just an acoustic guitar and a harmonica this was as raw as it could get. In fact the songs were recorded in Springsteen’s kitchen as a demo tape using just a four track tape recorder.

Springsteen did actually record this album with The E Street Band but it had lost it’s edge and didn’t sound as haunting as the acoustic version so they went with the original tapes,cleaned them up and released that version.

The full band version of this album does exist in the vaults somewhere but will probably never be released as producer Jon Landau has said,”The right version was released.”

As was the case with Darkness on the Edge Of Town the lyrics were very dark and sombre in tone with songs about the Starkweather murder spree,mob killings, etc.

In 1991 Sean Penn based his screenplay to his first film as director, “The Indian Runner” on the song Highway Patrolman.

Nebraska

Johnny 99

Highway Patrolman

Used Cars

Reason To Believe

Next week: Born In The USA
« Last Edit: August 30, 2007, 10:17:19 PM by The Schofield Kid » Logged

Richard Earl
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2007, 10:55:03 PM »

I have said before on this board that I love this album. I have been listening to records 28 years of my 35 years of existence. I am a songwriter that writes country , folk, and metal. The Nebraska album is a songwriters album.It is the only record that I own on vinyl as well as cd. The songs on this album rip my heart out and then puts in back in my chest and then gets ripped out again when the next song starts. Highway Patrolman and Used Cars bring tears to my eyes every time. I love this album. I highly recommend it to everyone.

Music speaks louder then words. It's the only thing that the whole world listens to. (Peter, Paul & Mary)
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2007, 04:06:09 AM »

When I first heard this album back in the 1980's I was not a fan of it. Springsteen without the E Street band was just not the same as I was used to. Over the years though, I have grown to like this album very much.

As I said last week, it was tough narrowing down the five tracks to post. The five tracks I didn't post are great as well, including my favorite off the album, Atlantic City. The only reason I didn't post that one was I thought it was fairly well known and most people have heard it plenty of times over the years.

Like Richard, I highly recommend it as well as Bruce's 1995 acoustic album The Ghost Of Tom Joad. Although more on that in a couple of months. :)

Doug
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

"May I make a suggestion..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2007, 03:55:59 PM »

I really like the songs off of Nebraska

"Yes, well, when I see five weirdos dressed in togas stabbing a guy in the middle of a park in full view of a hundred people, I shoot the bastards, that's my policy."  Frank Drebin, Police Squad.
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2007, 10:07:53 PM »

I really like the songs off of Nebraska

Have you heard them before Doug?

The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2007, 11:03:21 PM »

This was the album that finally brought Bruce Springsteen to my attention. One Saturday morning in early 1985 I was watching one of those music shows and up came the video for Dancing in the dark. I said to my brother “What a great song” and he replies that he has the album that it’s from plus he has tickets to his upcoming concert.

The ticket stub from that show is still on the cover of the LP. Sunday March 24, 1985. 7:30pm, $26.00.   (yes, only 26 dollars)
I must have worn out that LP over the next few months,I loved it and still do. It’s one of those albums that I love every song on it.
From the opening titled track to the closing My Hometown, a brilliant album that should be in everyone’s collection.

This is Springsteen’s biggest selling album, selling 15 million copies in the US alone.The album hit number 1 on the billboard charts and it had a record tying seven top 10 singles.

Born In The USA was also the first Compact Disc manufactured in the US for commercial release.

Born In The USA

I’m On Fire

Glory Days

My Hometown

Next week: Tunnel Of Love
« Last Edit: September 06, 2007, 05:05:06 PM by The Schofield Kid » Logged

The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2007, 11:04:20 PM »

As a special bonus this week. I will be posting the song, Radio Nowhere from Bruce’s new album, Magic, later tonight.

The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2007, 03:15:49 AM »

As promised, Bruce Springsteen and The E Street Band's brand new song:

Radio Nowhere

(Link No Longer Available)
« Last Edit: September 03, 2007, 09:02:36 PM by The Schofield Kid » Logged

Doug
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #31 on: August 31, 2007, 03:17:11 AM »

Have you heard them before Doug?

Nope, none of them.  You said there's one song everybody's heard, so probably I've heard it, too, with all the classic rock I've listened to, but I'm not sure.

What album is "Pink Cadilac" off of?

"Yes, well, when I see five weirdos dressed in togas stabbing a guy in the middle of a park in full view of a hundred people, I shoot the bastards, that's my policy."  Frank Drebin, Police Squad.
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #32 on: August 31, 2007, 03:24:29 AM »

What album is "Pink Cadilac" off of?

It was first released as the B side to the Dancing in the Dark single in 1984. According to wikipedia it was to be on the Born In The USA album but was bumped for I'm going Down.

It finally appeared on Springsteen's four disc set in 1998, Tracks or the highlight CD, 18 Tracks.

Doug
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2007, 03:28:57 AM »

It was first released as the B side to the Dancing in the Dark single in 1984. According to wikipedia it was to be on the Born In The USA album but was bumped for I'm going Down.

It finally appeared on Springsteen's four disc set in 1998, Tracks or the highlight CD, 18 Tracks.

So I wasn't totally crazy, I thought it was from Born in the USA.  Can you post it, it's such a great song!

And I like the new one, too, based on hearing it once just now.  :)

Doug
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #34 on: August 31, 2007, 03:31:33 AM »

The new song reminds me so much of REM from their Monster album days.  I guess that's why I like it. 

The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #35 on: August 31, 2007, 03:43:29 AM »

So I wasn't totally crazy, I thought it was from Born in the USA.  Can you post it, it's such a great song!

And I like the new one, too, based on hearing it once just now.  :)

Pink Cadillac coming up in the next few minutes.

The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #36 on: August 31, 2007, 03:53:20 AM »

As Requested :)

Pink Cadillac

(Link No Longer Available)
« Last Edit: September 03, 2007, 09:03:28 PM by The Schofield Kid » Logged

The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #37 on: August 31, 2007, 04:10:29 AM »

Doug, if you really liked the Nebraska album, I'm sure you'll enjoy the acoustic version of Born In The USA which was finally released on the Tracks set in 1998.

That should come up in October in this thread. >:D

The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #38 on: September 03, 2007, 03:34:24 AM »

With the two bonus tracks offered this week I've almost reached my ripway limit and to get to tracks from Tunnel of Love up on Friday as scheduled, I will be taking down the link to Radio Nowhere and Pink Cadillac sometime in the next 24 hours.

I'm sorry for any inconvenience this may cause. :)

The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #39 on: September 06, 2007, 05:53:09 PM »

After the huge success of the album Born In The USA, and the subsequent world tour, Springsteen fans waited to see what The Boss would deliver as a follow up. Would it be Born In The USA Part 2, or would he go back to a Nebraska style acoustic album.

Tunnel Of Love fell somewhere in between, released in 1987 some tracks had Springsteen alone, while others only used The E Street Band sparingly. The whole band were never in the studio at the one time. Many of the songs dealt with love and relationships and the pain it brings when they fail, and could have been inspired by Bruce’s own failing marriage at the time.

Tougher Than The Rest

Spare Parts

Walk Like A Man

Tunnel Of Love

Brilliant Disguise

Next Week: Human Touch
« Last Edit: September 13, 2007, 09:53:49 PM by The Schofield Kid » Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T