News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Eastwood Festival  (Read 12351 times)
Doug
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

"May I make a suggestion..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2003, 08:48:47 PM »

I'm a CT man and I would be willing to make the trek to have an eastwood weekend.  I think it's an awesome idea.  How far is Columbus from NYC (To use as a gauge)?

Maybe an eleven to twelve hour drive ... I believe it took us ten hours to drive from Cleveland to NYC, so add another hour and half or so to that to reach Columbus.

"Yes, well, when I see five weirdos dressed in togas stabbing a guy in the middle of a park in full view of a hundred people, I shoot the bastards, that's my policy."  Frank Drebin, Police Squad.
D'Ambrosia
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2003, 09:54:47 AM »

As you guys know(Philo, Briggs) the quality of the viewing goes down somewhat with a Digital Projecters so!?!?!?!   But sure beats the hell out of 500 bucks a pop for the Prints we want.  It's funny, and talking to those guys at the theater they were telling me all kinds of cool stuff...  From what I here MGM makes fantastic re-strikes for retro theaters and the even told me they could get the Leone flicks that are flawless...  They did however say that the Digital Projecter was the way to go if money was an issuse.  Now all we have to do is to decide what movies we want to watch.  I'm say High Plains Drifter for one.  That would be great up there on the Silver Screen.... 8)

I'll be posting more latter...  (If I can!!!) :P

Oh, almost forgot jjonski it's about 530 miles from here to New York City so if you drove like Mad Max you could make it in about 10 hours, give or take one...
« Last Edit: April 10, 2003, 09:59:11 AM by DAmbrosia » Logged
Lt. Briggs

From the Crossroads of the World

View Profile Email
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2003, 11:01:46 AM »

When looking for film to be projected thru Digital
projection.  Look for films that the packaging
states  Enhanced for 16 x 9 or Anamorphic Widescreen
or Enhanced for Widescreen TV's.
Those masters of the films will look far better than
the regular tranfers.  (High Plains Drifter, Eiger Sanction,
Joe Kidd) . MCA are still using older transfers.

I hate to walk up to a door with Harry.
To many people don't like him.
philo
Member Extraordinaire

"Slightly advanced"

View Profile Email
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2003, 09:25:23 AM »

I hate to sound like Mr Scrooge , but if we can't afford to view on film then it is not really worth it for me .

Without film (for me) there is no silver screen.

Briggs is right to go for enhanced, but that only means you can blow it up a little better .

I run my films for myself as only members such as The Stranger really could easily come over . So you must understand that on VT it doesn't hold the same magic for me .

Sorry guys , I would love to have met up for the chat .

Philo .    
« Last Edit: April 11, 2003, 09:26:29 AM by philo » Logged

"I won't be hitting you with my face"
philo
Member Extraordinaire

"Slightly advanced"

View Profile Email
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2003, 09:29:46 AM »

I forgot to add , I do understand about the cost , film is expensive and you have to stage it with what funds you have .

Philo .

D'Ambrosia
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2003, 10:12:57 AM »

Ah come on Philo... :-[ :'(

Well lets just say that we get four 35mm Prints in excellent condtion to Run Philo,  would you make it out then?  I hate for you not to be able to make it out... Sure I'd hate to run DVD's on the Big Screen but I was just thinking about the cost.  But  your right, if you can't do it right, then don't go off doing it half ass... I'm dieing to see what stuff you have on 16mm.  BTW they said that their 16mm equipment was top of the line.  Whatever that means...

If we got 25 people to come on out it would I think it would be just under a hundred bucks a person.  The more we get the cheaper it would be.  That would be getting 4 Prints from the distributor(s)  getting the theater for two days.  A projectionist, two concession workers/ Bar tenders, and a kick ass retro theater to watch these great Eastwood flicks in.  Plus they have decent food and a killer giant fish tank behind the bar...  Hotels and Motels are pretty cheap here in Columbus.  Hell, I've even got a couple of places here in people could crash at if you didn't want to pay for the room...  

I'm determined  to do it no matter what it takes....  ;D

It sounds as if we've got around 11 or 12 people that are intrested now.  Another thought is that if we were not to rent out the theater and have the general public be able to come and view the movies with us in the price would of course drop big time.  I don't know about being able to get into the booth then to run that 16mm stuff you have however...

Hell, I'd be willing to shell out some serious cash to really make this thing work...  I want it to work...  It needs to work...   I will make it work...
« Last Edit: April 11, 2003, 10:18:14 AM by DAmbrosia » Logged
Agent
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2003, 11:52:52 AM »

Hey if this thing really gets off the ground, you ought to advertise or annouce it on a website. If Cal would add it here that would be handy, or you could just throw together your own webpage and pass the word around. Like you said, the more folks that come the cheaper the films will be.

"I tried being reasonable, I didn't like it." - Clint Eastwood
D'Ambrosia
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2003, 08:58:50 PM »

These would be nice prints to have....  16mm

Fistful of Dollars More and For a Few Dollars More...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3324859388&category=1477

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3324860113&category=1477

I buying 'em...

I wish  ::)
Lt. Briggs

View Profile Email
« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2003, 01:35:46 PM »

DAmbrosia  

The only problems with buying some 16mm prints. Is color stock and what version of the movie (Theatrical or TV) and is it pan/scan or scope.  If the print is starting to turn pink now then you may have a few more years before it is totally pink. And for that price, it should be on a LPP low fade type stock. If its a SP stock then
it may turn alittle yellow if not stored right.

philo
Member Extraordinaire

"Slightly advanced"

View Profile Email
« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2003, 06:26:31 PM »

No Briggs ,

For that money they should be IB Technicolor  8)

I do have them in Techniscope and IB, and you can't beat those colours .

These versions on Ebay are pan and scan , no good for the festival.

Philo .

Lt. Briggs

View Profile Email
« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2003, 08:52:17 AM »

Philo

Your right for that money they would have to be IB.  But some people see a title on ebay, not knowing all the info about the different 16mm versions.
 :o So Buyer Beware  :o      ;)

D'Ambrosia
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2003, 10:40:14 PM »

Check this out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.cinemaonthecanal.com/georgetown.html

It would have been nice to know about this...  Hell, I might have made it out there for a show or two...
jjgonski

View Profile Email
« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2003, 05:18:27 AM »

I guess that it's safe to say that they are fans of Clint!!! :D

Just because your standing over me doesn't mean we're gonna be taking long showers together
dane with no name
Member Extraordinaire

I dont think it's nice you're laughing...

View Profile Email
« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2003, 04:26:30 PM »

great initiative! two thumbs way up!!!

i wouldnt mind showing up if i could scrounge the last money together for the trip (was originally planning to go to vegas, but who needs gambling when you got a clint eastwood marathon)
i reckon that since the city aint that big a tourist trap prices for hotels would be fairly decent. is that right?

has any dates been thrown around in the initial planning so far?

zoso

View Profile Email
« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2003, 04:12:16 PM »

i'd be interested also, so long as work allows it.
philo
Member Extraordinaire

"Slightly advanced"

View Profile Email
« Reply #35 on: August 23, 2003, 06:25:13 PM »

Anybody fancy trying to put this together ?

with some help form us of course

Philo .

eustressor

Undeterred.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2003, 07:58:35 PM »

If we got 25 people to come on out it would I think it would be just under a hundred bucks a person.  The more we get the cheaper it would be.  That would be getting 4 Prints from the distributor(s)  getting the theater for two days.  A projectionist, two concession workers/ Bar tenders, and a kick ass retro theater to watch these great Eastwood flicks in.  Plus they have decent food and a killer giant fish tank behind the bar...  Hotels and Motels are pretty cheap here in Columbus.  Hell, I've even got a couple of places here in people could crash at if you didn't want to pay for the room...

This sounds great! Kudos to your perseverance, DAmbrosia :) If we can keep it below, say, $150 per member, I'd be game. I live in Ohio, after all, so I'd have it cheaper than most. What four films?

BTW, is this deal with your theater still available, DAmb?
« Last Edit: August 23, 2003, 08:18:49 PM by eustressor » Logged
dane with no name
Member Extraordinaire

I dont think it's nice you're laughing...

View Profile Email
« Reply #37 on: August 24, 2003, 01:59:26 PM »

i wouldnt mind shoving up a day or two in advance to give a hand. also, i work as a chef, and could easily put together a cheap but fine 2-3 course menu if people were interested. (i think it would be a nice way to have a "social gathering" before seeing the movies. Getting to know one another if people were interested)

Lilly
Member Extraordinaire

"If she looks back..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #38 on: August 26, 2003, 06:42:14 AM »

Count me in if I can get away from work.  I'm tentatively planning a trip to Chicago and Seattle in the next few weeks, but I guess that'll be too soon.  After that depends on getting leave, but I'd also be willing to come early to help organise.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2006, 09:33:02 AM by Lilly » Logged
D'Ambrosia
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #39 on: August 26, 2003, 10:41:41 PM »

Didn't see this post until just now! :D

I know that the theater has just change owners and has really been struggling to stay above all the multiplexes and all.  It truly is a beautiful and one of a kind theater and it's a last of it's kind.  I will stop by there in the next couple of days and talk to the new managment.  

As far as the four films I was thinking along the lines of The Good The Bad And the Ugly restored version of course.. ;)  Maybe Dirty Harry which I know they have access to a Print of, (or did anyway...)  and I don't know, what do you guys think.  What would you like to see if you were to come out for the weekend?

I know we can pull this thing off...  Glad to see some intrest in this thread once again
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T