News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Eastwood Festival  (Read 11336 times)
D'Ambrosia
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« on: April 02, 2003, 04:02:39 PM »

Hey guys (and gals), just got some information about a theater rental here in Columbus.  It's a beautiful theater built in the eary 30's with a full wet bar and aquirium in the concession area(smoking section) with glass and speakers so you won't miss any of the movie.  It's a very unique set-up and it's a real treat to see a movie there. It's one of my favorite little secrets here in Columbus.  It would cost $250 a day to rent(that includes two concession workers and a projectionist)  If we can provide them with prints of the movies we'd like to see, it's only $40 bucks more, but here's the catch, if we needed to "order" a movie, it would be an extra 450 per movie.   A little steep but just think Unforgiven, High Plains Drifter, Dirty Harry or Josey Wales on the big screen, Priceless

Any thoughts.  Who would come on out to Ohio and Check out the first annual Eastwood Fest? :D
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2003, 12:50:38 AM »

I went to Baltimore for Unforgiven, so I guess I could go to Ohio if there were enough Eastwood movies involved! I don't know about that price, though, it sounds pretty steep. Does anyone have prints?
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2003, 12:54:41 AM »

Honestly, I think I would seriously consider it if we could get enough people to agree to go. Just think how fabulous it would be to meet so many wonderful people from this board! I imagine that would be amazingly fun, and we'd all have so much fun together.
Doug
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

"May I make a suggestion..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2003, 12:57:39 AM »

Well, it wouldn't be that steep if there was enough people to split the cost ... and I could definitely do it, as my family is in Dayton, OH, so no question about my going, if there was nothing preventing me from being free at the chosen time.

"Yes, well, when I see five weirdos dressed in togas stabbing a guy in the middle of a park in full view of a hundred people, I shoot the bastards, that's my policy."  Frank Drebin, Police Squad.
philo
Member Extraordinaire

"Slightly advanced"

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2003, 09:53:29 AM »

If things here get a little better , count me in .

I would also bring some film items , not as much as I would like because of where I live .

Certainly things that nobody will have seen for a long time , if at all .

Philo .

"I won't be hitting you with my face"
Lt. Briggs

From the Crossroads of the World

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2003, 02:08:16 PM »

It's a great idea, I would be up for it.

The only real problem is getting enough film to show.
And finding good prints too.  You will find the later
Eastwood titles with no problem. But the earlier one
maybe beat up and wore.  With the rise of video in
the 80's, the studio stopped restriking prints for
retro-theatres.  
Is this theatre a 2 projector set-up or a 1 projector
and a platter set-up?  That's is  important to ask,
because some collectors and studios on older films,
do not like to have the prints plattered. Because
with plattering of a print, you have to cut the head and tail leaders from the print. And if something goes wrong
you can damage the whole print vs. just one reel.

I hate to walk up to a door with Harry.
To many people don't like him.
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2003, 03:46:04 PM »

I guess I could make it all the way over to Columbus. ;D
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2003, 04:24:12 PM »

Put me on "standby" until details get more firmed up as for when it'll be and how many are going.  It's a long, long trip for me, and I have no interest in seeing Ohio (sorry to Christopher and D'Amb  :-[ ), but I'd go if enough members were going to be there.   If it were in the San Francisco area or NYC, I'd probably be a little more psyched for it because those are placed I'd really love to vacation at.
D'Ambrosia
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2003, 07:38:53 PM »

Well, I know Ohio aint exactly a tourist haven but if you were to come out for two days and we watch 2 films each day that pretty much takes care of the time during the day and we could plan on doing somthing Saturday night....  Columbus has many great little places to visit but your right Matt, it's no place to vaction.  I just thought since I talked to the manager of the theater that I would pass the idea along.  I've read of other "Festivals" that happen to be a pretty big turn out.  Mad Max,  The Thing Fest in Toronto(I've thought about makeing the trip for that one) and serveral others.  I need to talk to this guy again and ask him a few more questions.  Maybe we could get a discount or somthing.  I'll ask about the "plattering" and the one or two projections thing Briggs...  Thanks for the heads up on that.  Any thing else I should ask the guy?  Anyone...?  I've seen the Dirty Harry Print(Space Cowboys doulble feature) at this theater and It wasen't too bad.  Just a thought but it would be fun if this came together...

I'll keep you updated on the progress...
D'Ambrosia
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2003, 07:43:22 PM »

Maybe would could get the new-uncut The Good The Bad And The Ugly Print.  Wouldn't that be something? :D
philo
Member Extraordinaire

"Slightly advanced"

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2003, 09:53:36 AM »

MGM are insisting that the new GBU is screened in two machine theatres so that the ends are not cut .

if it has a platter the material I would be bringing will be ready to run on a single reel .

Philo .

Gant
Member Extraordinaire

You gotta be durable...real durable. Most ain't

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2003, 03:56:43 PM »

I'd love to come out for this.... If the lottery comes up I'll be there....... ;)

Borderline burnout with questionable social skills
D'Ambrosia
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2003, 05:00:19 PM »

Hey that's great guys!  I'm supposed to have an informal meeting with the manager and owner on Sunday, but have been e-mailing the manager a couple of times.  Still waiting for his third responce.  I'll let you know about the "platter".  What kind of Eastwood prints do you have Philo?... :D
philo
Member Extraordinaire

"Slightly advanced"

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2003, 05:51:35 PM »

Well it will be the rarer teaser trailers that have not been included on any DVD release .
The Bronco Billy trailer , where Clint to camera introduces all the members of the wild west show.
I would include english scope trailers that are different to the US  versions

and a couple of surprises    :-X

Philo .
« Last Edit: April 04, 2003, 05:52:07 PM by philo » Logged

DirtyDuffy45

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2003, 08:40:24 AM »

This is what im talkin about.  The Idea sounds great who wouldnt want to do this.  If your as big of an Eastwood fan as I am you would all quit your jobs or take a week off and attend this once in a lifetime event.  I can only imagine if I got to see fistful on the big screen or Dirty Harry or Hang'em high or play misty.  The would be the greatest.  Seeing the movies I never had a chance to seeon the big screen.  Its not that bad of an investment say we buy 4 movies to play not so bad on the price.  We could advertise a little and have some other come charge 50 a head and I think the turnout would be excellent.  Then think for next year we already own 4 movies and we can buy 4 more and make it a 2 day event and just keep building and building.  It would be a beautiful thing and imagine if the man himself found out and showed up the possibilities are endless!
Lt. Briggs

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2003, 11:49:30 AM »

DirtyDuffy45  wrote:
just keep building and building.

The problem with that statement, is DirtyDuffy thinks
we are buying the prints to own.  The cost is $450 per title, that is a rental of the print for that date only.  Does that include shipping of the print, if its not in the Ohio film exchange area. And if we advertise the
studio may want a % of the profits.  That would be
in the  contract with the theatre for the rental of the
theatre.  If we did what DirtyDuffy was thinking, it
would cost $1800 for the 4 films plus the rental of the
theatre.  
If the theatre had a digital projection system all we
would have to do is bring a DVD deck and plug into
the projection and sound system.

The idea of a Festival is Great, but the film cost is
what you first have to look into.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2003, 11:51:15 AM by Lt. Briggs » Logged

D'Ambrosia
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2003, 03:09:08 PM »

Ok my fine fellow friends... Here is the situation....  I had that little meeting I'd had talked about yesterday.  The rundown on the theater as follows Briggs and Philo:

Capable of:
8mm
16mm
35mm
A Platters system and non-Platter system
A single projecter and a duel projection system

This June they will be installing a Digital Projecter :o
-So you know what that means  :) ;D 8) :-*
-Dirty Cheap.

However, it still would be nice to get the Dirty Harry Print or the Good the Bad and the Ugly Print.  We will just have to see.  I told the dudes the turn out would more than likely be around 25 or so, but it's still way in the eary planning stages...

We even talked about if we were to special order the Prints that they might give us a discount and just go ahead and run their own little Eastwood Fest after are weekend...

Anyway that's the news and I think it's starting to shape up as time goes by....

Any input guys?   Philo, Briggs?
« Last Edit: April 07, 2003, 03:11:08 PM by DAmbrosia » Logged
philo
Member Extraordinaire

"Slightly advanced"

View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2003, 04:43:44 PM »

Well the projection booth seems fair , there are more possibles from me now that I know it can run 16mm .

tv spots and featurettes are mostly 16mm .

theatre sounds good .

Philo .  

Lt. Briggs

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2003, 09:10:38 AM »

DAmbrosia that's very good news on the booth. ;D

jjgonski

View Profile Email
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2003, 05:20:27 PM »

I'm a CT man and I would be willing to make the trek to have an eastwood weekend.  I think it's an awesome idea.  How far is Columbus from NYC (To use as a gauge)?

Just because your standing over me doesn't mean we're gonna be taking long showers together
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T