News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: M.A.S.H. Fans  (Read 4294 times)
Richard Earl
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« on: August 17, 2007, 08:29:40 PM »

I am a huge fan of M.A.S.H.. I love the Robert Altman film as well as the long running television show. I would love to  discuss the movie and the many episodes that follwed from 1972- 1983 with fellow fans.

Music speaks louder then words. It's the only thing that the whole world listens to. (Peter, Paul & Mary)
lovelyrita

Yeah? Well I've got MediCare, go ahead and shoot

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2007, 09:01:08 PM »

I am a huge fan of M.A.S.H.. I love the Robert Altman film as well as the long running television show. I would love to  discuss the movie and the many episodes that follwed from 1972- 1983 with fellow fans.

I too was a huge fan of both the movie and tv series. One of the first of its kind for TV anyway.
The show first began while America was in Vietnam. What MASH did was it portrayed the emotional impact that war had on our soldiers and the people of Korea.  I can't say I remember a weekly series deal so openly and honestly with the impact of war on everyone concerned. Yes Hawkeye, Trapper John and others made us laugh also. It was a comedy and a drama mixed together. In fact it was an ensemble cast that changed television comedy as we knew it. The scenes filmed in black and white were my favorite. Characters would be talking to the MASH Psychiatrist and a few episodes were so touching. I saw so many episodes and a few stand out to this day. One of my favs was the episode that dealt with Radar's Discharge. I also remember when Lt. Col. Blake was killed. His replacement Col. Sherman Potter was probably my favorite character. And the show really became character driven.

"M*A*S*H seemed to be asserting the central fact of war, that individual human beings are caught in the tangled mesh of other lives and there must struggle to retain some sense of humanity and compassion."  This quote says it all and it is from a piece I read on the show.

I also loved the theme, "Suicide is Painless"..
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2007, 09:04:32 PM »

I'm a fan of the show and it was my all time favorite until Seinfeld came along.

I remember seeing the original film when we were at school and it such an eye opener as I was expecting to be like the TV show, but it was much more graphic and some of the operating scenes were much more gruesome.

I was suprised to see on the DVD of the original movie that Robert Altman hated the TV series.

I own the entire series of MASH on DVD and have mentioed before that I was disappointed with the lack of any extras on each disc. The best thing about the DVD's is the option to switch off the laugh track. It's so much better viewing each episode without it.

I prefer the first three seasons with MacLean Stevenson (Col.Henry Blake) and Wayne Rogers (Trapper John) and was gutted that first time I saw the episode where they killed off the Blake character.

So many great episodes, I don't think I have one that stands out but one scene from the whole series that I always remember was when everyone was having things stolen and Radar and Henry are searching the camp for the goods, and they come into the swamp and Henry looks at the chimney from the stove and says, "What's in here, and gets the reply "Soot sir" and Henry says, "I'll be the judge of that". Shaking the chimney and the next thing Henry's face is covered in soot. I crack up everytime I see that scene.

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
lovelyrita

Yeah? Well I've got MediCare, go ahead and shoot

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2007, 09:14:48 PM »

I agree about the laugh track, it was so much better without it. I remember the episode you described and I am laughing just thinking about it..
Richard Earl
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2007, 09:24:15 PM »

I love that scene as well. Blake's expression is priceless.
I cannot watch the epidode where Blake dies. I have seen it several times but it breaks my heart. It is one of the great ones though. Discounting that episode I find the rewatch factor to be great with the show. It is so hard to pick one episode that is my favorite. One that stands out is where Potter finds out that he is the last living person of a group of friends that made a pact over a bottle. He then shares the bottle with Hawkeye,BJ ,Winchester and Hotlips. That one brings tears to my eyes.

Music speaks louder then words. It's the only thing that the whole world listens to. (Peter, Paul & Mary)
Holden Pike
Member Extraordinaire

"If they move, kill 'em."

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2007, 01:19:46 PM »

LOVE the film, have no use for the TV series. Though it is interesting to watch the first couple episodes of the series and see how they actually tried, albiet briefly and superficially, to capture Altman's tone and look.

The MAD Magazine parody of the show called "M*U*S*H" succinctly sums up how I feel about it as well. I thought the emotions on the show were maudlin and forced and very often embarassing. The comedy aspects worked pretty well, especially Larry Linville as Major Burns. Obviously a softer and less complex Frank than the petty religious zelot Bobby Duvall played in the film, but on its own a very funny character. McLean Stevenson did have lots of nice moments as Colonel Blake. But the show never did it for me, not past my twelfth birthday, anyway. Looking back on it now, I can barely make it through a full episode. I know lots of fans think "M*A*S*H" "jumped the shark" around the time Klinger stopped wearing dresses, but for me it was never very good to begin with and got progressively less and less bearable as it ambled forward.

I think.

But the 1970 movie is a masterpiece.

"The game of life is hard to play
I'm gonna lose it anyway
The losing card I'll someday lay
so this is all I have to say...

That suicide is painless
it brings on many changes
and I can take or leave it if I please...."

"We're not gonna get rid of anybody. We're gonna stick together, just like it used to be. When you side with a man you stay with him, and if you can't do that you're like some animal, you're finished. We're all finished."
Southern cat
Member Extraordinaire

The Man

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2008, 04:57:57 PM »

I'm also a big fan of M*A*S*H, also a little surprised a the length of this thread.

Some of my favourite episodes are For Want of a Boot, Crisis(all of them shivering in the one tent),Letters and Where There's a Will, There's a War, to name a few.
The worst episode was Dreams.

Oh yes and I Hate a Mystery(the soot scene was a classic)

Walt
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2008, 07:11:37 AM »

Liked the film and loved the series. Thankfully I wasn't even aware of a laugh track untill the recent airings on satelite tv which I can't watch because of it. It was shown for years on BBC without one.
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2009, 03:38:22 AM »

The worst episode was Dreams.

The only episode that I didn't care for and whenever it came on I switch the channel was the episode titled, Hawkeye. He was the only character from the whole show in that particular episode.

Everyone else must have been bed ridden with the flu or something as it's only Hawkeye in a hut with a korean family babbling on after he had an accident in a jeep.

I never did quite get that episode.  ???

Richard Earl
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2009, 05:54:50 AM »

The only episode that I didn't care for and whenever it came on I switch the channel was the episode titled, Hawkeye. He was the only character from the whole show in that particular episode.

Everyone else must have been bed ridden with the flu or something as it's only Hawkeye in a hut with a korean family babbling on after he had an accident in a jeep.

I never did quite get that episode.  ???

I love that episode Kid. Hawkeye had to keep talking because of the accident. He had the head wound which caused a concussion and if he would have fallen asleep he might have died.  He knew this so he had to keep talking even though the family could not understand him. It was more for himself.

Southern cat
Member Extraordinaire

The Man

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2009, 09:58:05 PM »

My top 5 episodes in no particular order.

Baby its cold outside
Deluge
Crisis
I hate a mystery
Letters.

Ummm maybe should of been a top ten!
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2011, 11:07:44 PM »

How about some favorite memories of Harry Morgan in MASH?

Seeing him use the binoculars and then take them away from his eyes to see that someone had put black paint around the rims so now it was around his eyes is probably my most memorable scene and of course Radar's reaction by falling out of the jeep in a fit of laughter.

Anyone else have any favorite scenes?
« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 11:12:16 PM by The Schofield Kid » Logged

Southern cat
Member Extraordinaire

The Man

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2011, 11:12:09 PM »

When he gave his horse to that retired Korean General was touching.
Southern cat
Member Extraordinaire

The Man

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2011, 11:22:08 PM »

Old Soldiers where he was the last survivor of a group of war mates and near the end he toasts to his new friends that mean even more to him.

"Holy hemostat" in April Fools.   ;D
Richard Earl
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2011, 01:09:34 PM »

Old Soldiers where he was the last survivor of a group of war mates and near the end he toasts to his new friends that mean even more to him.

"Holy hemostat" in April Fools.   ;D

That is such a heartfelt episode. I cannot imagine being the last of good friends to be alive.

Richard Earl
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2011, 01:17:14 PM »

Another Potter memory that I love is the episode where Col. Potter, Winchester and Klinger are sick and they are quarantined in the same room together and they got on each others nerves! It was hilarious!

Tang Lung

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2011, 04:47:08 PM »

Morgan even paid out of his own pocket for stamps twice for me.....how's *that* for generous  O0 
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2017, 10:06:19 PM »

It popped up on FaceBook a week or two ago that MASH ended 34 years ago.

I was wondering is it still being shown around the world? It is here in Australia on Channel One and probably on cable but it just keeps going and going. Once they show all episodes they go straight back to the beginning again. It's never off the air!!

Richard Earl
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2017, 05:46:42 PM »

The episode "Tuttle" from Season one was on la few weeks ago and I forgot how much I love that episode.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T