News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Invictus (formerly: The Human Factor): Production Information & News.  (Read 93710 times)
Aline

Email
« Reply #220 on: November 19, 2009, 04:57:08 AM »

Since Little Lulu was an American comic strip character, the game they were playing was almost certainly American football, not rugby. But it may have "become" rugby in Portuguese translation.

The kids are definitely playing football (and not baseball) in the picture you posted. :)

KC, you're right. In that picture they are playing american football but in the story which I couldn't find, it was really rugby. I can't imagine why they would translate that way to portuguese since we are not even familiar with the game. :)
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #221 on: November 19, 2009, 06:39:37 AM »

The only thing I can think of is that there's no easy way to translate "football" without making it clear that it's American football and not what Americans call soccer (and the rest of the world calls football).
Dan Dassow
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #222 on: November 19, 2009, 11:53:10 AM »

The only thing I can think of is that there's no easy way to translate "football" without making it clear that it's American football and not what Americans call soccer (and the rest of the world calls football).

Sandlot American football tends to look more like rugby than high school, college or professional football.  :P
antonis
Member Extraordinaire

I'm afraid you have misjudged me...

View Profile Email
« Reply #223 on: November 20, 2009, 04:50:07 AM »

a MAN has got to know his public's expectations...
El Cigarillo

"Who says I was jokin?"

View Profile Email
« Reply #224 on: November 21, 2009, 02:08:26 PM »

How long before Spike Lee complains about the lack of black Africans on the rugby team?
 ;D
ahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gant
Member Extraordinaire

You gotta be durable...real durable. Most ain't

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #225 on: November 22, 2009, 09:10:32 AM »

;D ;D

Borderline burnout with questionable social skills
clint got HOSED

View Profile Email
« Reply #226 on: November 22, 2009, 06:26:51 PM »

That is not a good review to start the Oscar race with.  ::)
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #227 on: November 22, 2009, 07:25:54 PM »

Well, it's early yet. Besides, the film isn't quite in its final form yet. We'll see.
palooka
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #228 on: November 23, 2009, 12:37:40 AM »

Speaking as one of the "people gathered around a TV" I hope there are NO CUTS!  ;)

http://www.ropeofsilicon.com/article/mini-reviews-of-invictus-and-the-lovely-bones-from-an-industry-insider

And then Mr. Eastwood's Invictus… Ugh, where to start. Well first off, going in we were told this still might not be the final version. And at 131 minutes and with all the plot lines he has going, any reduction in time makes this a better film.

Overall, I just don't think the film ever reaches the emotional climax Eastwood wants it to. Certainly there's a big Rugby match — and they win — but he must spend 30 minutes on the final match alone, with game footage, footage of Mandela in his box, of Damon's family in the stands, of the mixed-race security detail symbolically meshing as one, of a young boy outside the stadium cheering with police, of people gathered around TV's in like five different places… and it's from one to another to another over and over again.. and it really just doesn't work that well.

Leading up to that point, there are terrific moments, powerful moments, but also some very awkward moments where the script has characters explaining things that might have worked better as title graphics. Damon isn't given enough room to really shine though he's more than up for the role, and while I know there will be plenty of big Morgan Freeman supporters for his role, I think he might also find some detractors. His performance seems very uneven to me, not that he can't act the part, but perhaps not given enough direction.

It's all a bit inert and in its present form, it just seems to miss the mark. One could go back and practically remove the entire security-detail sub-plot. Since there's never an assassination attempt, it adds up to a whole lot of nothing, and [its removal would] greatly strengthen the movie.

« Last Edit: November 23, 2009, 01:04:00 AM by palooka » Logged

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
palooka
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #229 on: November 23, 2009, 04:00:56 AM »

The official website has been changed and has some new images up.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
MC

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #230 on: November 23, 2009, 06:18:32 AM »

I wouldn't sweat an early anonymous "insider" review like this. Case in point: the super-early buzz by the so-called "online insiders" regarding Gran Torino was that it was terrible ... perhaps even Razzie material.

Then the film opened to generally positive reviews, superb audience word of mouth (e.g. an outstanding 8.3 rating among IMDB users) and the highest box office take of Eastwood's career.
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #231 on: November 23, 2009, 06:42:20 AM »

Speaking as one of the "people gathered around a TV" I hope there are NO CUTS!  ;)

http://www.ropeofsilicon.com/article/mini-reviews-of-invictus-and-the-lovely-bones-from-an-industry-insider

Well, maybe they could cut SOME of those scenes ... just not the best one! ;)
exit00

Dying ain't much of a livin'

View Profile Email
« Reply #232 on: November 23, 2009, 07:08:21 AM »

"not that he can't act the part, but perhaps not given enough direction."   I couldn't help but laugh at that statement... as if Morgan Freeman needs to be constantly directed.  Maybe this guy didn't see Unforgiven or Million Dollar Baby???   ;D

« Last Edit: November 23, 2009, 07:09:36 AM by exit00 » Logged
Conan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

JP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #233 on: November 23, 2009, 08:59:16 AM »

Sure maybe the rough cut isn't great and so some subplots don't tie up in a nice bow yet, but after looking around that site nothing the reviewer says or relays via "comments that were sent in" holds any clout with me.  Even the layout of the site is annoying; way too much clutter (links, ads, videos) everywhere.

antonis
Member Extraordinaire

I'm afraid you have misjudged me...

View Profile Email
« Reply #234 on: November 23, 2009, 10:48:29 AM »

a MAN has got to know his public's expectations...
MC

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #235 on: November 23, 2009, 05:29:51 PM »

And in this thread, an allegedly "in the know" insider claims Invictus has been getting a strong positive reaction:

Invictus did not get “two so-so reactions.” Grown men were weeping. Hundreds of them. The last time men wept at a sports movie it was called Chariots of Fire and it won Best Picture.

In the same thread, Awards Daily's Sasha Stone (a reputable source) mentions that the film is still embargoed ... so take anything you hear until then with a grain of ye old salt  ;) 

http://www.awardsdaily.com/?p=15224#more-15224
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #236 on: November 23, 2009, 09:53:29 PM »

Well, I got a nice piece of mail today from the American Film Institute, of which I'm a member: A fancy looking invitation to the Los Angeles benefit premiere of Invictus on December 3, to be "immediately followed by a private after party" at the Beverly Wilshire Hotel ... festive attire suggested. Only two problems: 1) it's in Los Angeles; and 2) the cheapest ticket is $350. Rather surprisingly, for that price, you do get into the party. Actually, if I were in Los Angeles, and had a suitable party-going companion, I might consider it. Festive attire ... pish, I have my Yankees World Champions 2009 t-shirt! Did I mention that it's in Los Angeles, though?

If I had a private jet and could fly out to Los Angeles for the premiere, I think I'd go for the highest-priced deal: the AFI Platinum Package: 10 tickets to the premiere, 10 party tickets, a thank-you in the program, and hosted parking, all for $25,000!

But seriously ... If anyone is (or will be) in Los Angeles and is interested, you don't need an invitation in the mail ... just go here and check it out:

http://connect.afi.com/site/PageNavigator/InvictusPremiere

Aline

Email
« Reply #237 on: November 24, 2009, 04:34:55 AM »

Too many excuses for not going, KC.
Just GO! :D
Dan Dassow
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #238 on: November 24, 2009, 06:37:04 AM »

And in this thread, an allegedly "in the know" insider claims Invictus has been getting a strong positive reaction:

In the same thread, Awards Daily's Sasha Stone (a reputable source) mentions that the film is still embargoed ... so take anything you hear until then with a grain of ye old salt  ;) 

http://www.awardsdaily.com/?p=15224#more-15224

Reviews should become available around December 10, 2009. Likewise, many of the Oscar pundits have not seen the film.

I wonder whether Morgan Freeman and Matt Damon will be promoting the film on the talk show circuit.

I found these two comments (taken with a huge grain of salt) on the Awards Daily article interesting.

3 - Hunter
November 22nd, 2009 at 11:11 am
Invictus did not get “two so-so reactions.” Grown men were weeping. Hundreds of them. The last time men wept at a sports movie it was called Chariots of Fire and it won Best Picture.

5 - Hunter
November 22nd, 2009 at 11:23 am
Back to Sasha’s main point: what movies do the Oscars award in hard times? Spiritually uplifting pictures, sheer entertainments and awe-bringers. So that means good news for Invictus, Sherlock Holmes and Avatar.
stuckonlife

View Profile Email
« Reply #239 on: November 24, 2009, 10:27:13 PM »

Time has a preview of Invictus, including a new still:

http://www.time.com/time/specials/packages/article/0,28804,1942819_1942818_1942807,00.html

Morgan Freeman is so far set to appear on two shows: on Live with Regis and Kelly on 2 December and The Jay Leno Show on 3 December.

Matt's not scheduled on any shows yet.

« Last Edit: November 25, 2009, 01:45:41 AM by stuckonlife » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T