News: Now showing in theaters: CRY MACHO, directed by and starring Clint Eastwood!

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Mr. Warmth: The Don Rickles Project"  (Read 13415 times)
Holden Pike
Member Extraordinaire

"If they move, kill 'em."

View Profile Email
« on: December 02, 2007, 10:48:03 PM »

Mr. Warmth: The Don Rickles Project

Tonight HBO debuted John Landis' new documentary, Mr. Warmth: The Don Rickles Project. It chronicles Rickles' life and career, including interviews with admirers and co-stars, though naturally with more focus on his famous "insult comic" nightclub act than his achievements as a thespian. Since an eighteen-year-old Landis (Animal House, The Blues Brothers, An American Werewolf in London) first met Rickles while working as a lowly assistant on Kelly's Heroes in Yugoslavia, Clint is interviewed for the documentary. He appears a few times, though like most of the interviewees usually very briefly. Who knows, when an eventual DVD is released perhaps we'll get more Eastwood  footage as supplemental material? Anyway, a neat little story he tells is...

EASTWOOD: He used to always say in his act, he'd say, "What do I look like, Larry Dickman from Des Moines?" or something like that. And I always thought, 'Larry Dickman', I said, 'that's a Hell of a name', and I've registered in hundreds of hotels across the country as "Larry Dickman" ever since then.

Shortly afterward they show the clip from The Enforcer with Callahan walking into the low-rent bordello in his Giants baseball cap and announcing, "My name is Larry Dickman." A couple clips of Kelly's Heroes are used in Mr. Warmth, and another co-star from that film, Harry Dean Stanton, is also one of the interview subjects. Others interviewed include Robert De Niro, Martin Scorsese, Carl Reiner, Bob Newhart, Richard Lewis, Christopher Guest, Harry Shearer, Chris Rock, Robin Williams, Billy Crystal, Sidney Poitier, Debbie Reynolds, Steve Lawrence, Roger Corman, Tom & Dick Smothers, John Lasseter and many others.

Clint ain't in it much, but if you're a Don Rickles fan it's a must-see. The centerpiece of the movie is really the footage of Rickles doing his act to a packed room in Vegas earlier this year.

« Last Edit: December 03, 2007, 08:06:02 AM by Holden Pike » Logged

"We're not gonna get rid of anybody. We're gonna stick together, just like it used to be. When you side with a man you stay with him, and if you can't do that you're like some animal, you're finished. We're all finished."
Holden Pike
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2007, 10:58:40 PM »

Oh, yeah, and they also show the clip from Clint's AFI Lifetime Achievement Award when Rickles took the mic to playfully lay into Eastwood.

"We're not gonna get rid of anybody. We're gonna stick together, just like it used to be. When you side with a man you stay with him, and if you can't do that you're like some animal, you're finished. We're all finished."
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2007, 11:38:03 PM »

Thanks, Holden! 8)
focus

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2007, 05:07:06 AM »

I like Rickles
Perry
Member Extraordinaire

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2007, 02:45:45 PM »

Rickles book that came out a few months back names a chapter ' Why you gotta love Clint Eastwood". It pretty much explains Eastwood knowing Rickles would brutalize him bigtime and Eastwood taking it in stride even though it is in jest. Surprisingly alot of  people would not had done that. Thats actually a very good  show. Rickles was awesome  on that show. You can see some of it  on You Tube.
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2007, 05:44:44 PM »

Rickles' book is called, oddly enough, Rickles' Book (New York: Simon & Schuster, c2007). It's by Don Rickles with David Ritz. At your local library.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2007, 05:47:06 PM by KC » Logged
Holden Pike
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2007, 02:08:50 PM »

And looks like Mr. Warmth is already set for an R1 DVD release on December 18th, 2007. I can't find any info on the specifics, but it is a "two-disc collector's edition", which may mean a wealth of supplemental material and a chance at more Eastwood interview. Clint's face is on the DVD box art among some of the other celebrities.

Stay tuned.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2007, 05:26:34 AM by Holden Pike » Logged

Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2007, 02:59:55 AM »

That is going to be one DVD for my collection as soon as I can get it.   I hope it will be available in the UK, if not I will just have to buy a region 1 copy.   :)
exit00

Dying ain't much of a livin'

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2007, 10:41:43 AM »

Yeah... the first 45 minutes or so of this film is simply hilarious.  Rickles never before let anybody film him in concert but he did so for this documentary.  The parts of him on The Tonite Show with Johnny Carson are worth the price of the DVD alone.  And Clint telling his Larry Dickman story was also hilarious... I never knew that is where he got that name to use in that Enforcer scene.
Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2007, 05:46:52 PM »

I just pre-ordered it from Amazon USA.  It seems it will not be released until well into the New Year, that's OK at least I will get it.   :)
Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2008, 06:31:10 AM »

Just received an email from Amazon the DVD is on the way.   I hope it will be worth the long wait. ;)
Clint Van Wallach

Email
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2009, 09:04:02 AM »

Here's the vid . The quality isn't bad so it looks pretty good in full screen. Most of Clint's contributions are in the first half hour. Not enough of him though.

I had hoped for more material from Clint's AFI Lifetime Achievement Award special but unfortunately that segment is very brief here.
I remember seeing it years ago and I thought it was hilarious.  In it, Rickles refered to his role in Kelly's Heroes and pretty much did the "I haven't worked since" bit  that he does here with Scorsese. Also made some cracks about Telly Savalas and  at one point  walked up to Clint's mom and said something like, "are you still...?" and then made a drinking jesture.

Has it been posted  here because I can't find it on Youtube or anywhere else for that matter.

Anyway, here's the vid. It's pure Rickles so Viewers beware!

http://www.hulu.com/watch/55113/mr-warmth-the-don-rickles-project-mr-warmth---the-don-rickles-project
Americanbeauty
Member Extraordinaire

There's a darkness inside all of us ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2009, 01:24:58 AM »

Aaaaah nice, I was looking for it all over the internet  :D

PS: Shoot. Can't watch it outside the US  :'( I'll keep looking.

Lin, what's your take on the DVD??

Make-'em-run-around-the-block-howling-in-agony stunning

"He that hath no beard is less than a man, and he that is less than a man, I am not for him…" 'Much Ado About Nothing' Act 2, Scene I (William Shakespeare)

http://americanbphotography.tumblr.com/
Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2009, 09:58:39 PM »

Lin, what's your take on the DVD??

I loved it.   I would have liked to see more of Clint but then this was about Don Rickles.   There are some very funny sections.  I plan to watch it over again soon.  It is worth owning AB.
Americanbeauty
Member Extraordinaire

There's a darkness inside all of us ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2009, 12:52:55 AM »

^^ Good to know  O0

Make-'em-run-around-the-block-howling-in-agony stunning

"He that hath no beard is less than a man, and he that is less than a man, I am not for him…" 'Much Ado About Nothing' Act 2, Scene I (William Shakespeare)

http://americanbphotography.tumblr.com/
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2009, 06:12:48 AM »

I've had this saved to my Hulu Queue for a little while now. I'd like to get around to it finally. O0
D'Ambrosia
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2009, 05:26:45 PM »

Larry Dickman from Des Moines....  That's hilarious!  ;D 
Dan Dassow
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2009, 05:36:07 AM »

Larry Dickman from Des Moines....  That's hilarious!  ;D 

The Gazette (link)
The Gazette Movie Guide

Meet the man behind the mean
By BILL BROWNSTEIN, The Gazette
August 27, 2009

Don Rickles is 83. Last year, he marked his 60th anniversary in showbiz and he remains very much in demand on the comedy circuit. This is nothing less than miraculous, considering that Rickles is an insult comic who made his mark taking shots at Frank Sinatra and other heavy-hitters - who normally strike back hard when under attack. ...

When not performing on stage and calling patrons "hockey pucks," Rickles surprisingly got some movie gigs. Like Beach Blanket Bingo with Frankie Avalon and Annette Funicello, and the war flick Kelly's Heroes with Clint Eastwood and Telly Savalas. Eastwood, often the butt of Rickles's shots on the set, credits the comic for giving him the nickname Larry Dickman. For years, Eastwood, seeking anonymity on the road, signed into hotels under that name. ...
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T