News: See SULLY, starring Tom Hanks, now streaming and on DVD and Blu-ray!

« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 18 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Eastwood Films on DVD/Blu-Ray (Upcoming Releases, News, Reviews etc)  (Read 92382 times)
Dan Dassow
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #40 on: April 01, 2009, 09:47:45 PM »

Click the link, Dan ... ;)

Well done, Brendan ... you little  >:D:D

I bought that story hook, line and sinker.  ::)  :-[
Brendan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #41 on: April 02, 2009, 01:59:08 AM »

8) >:D
right turn clyde

Shockley, you big prick !

View Profile Email
« Reply #42 on: April 16, 2009, 08:12:27 PM »

right turn clyde

View Profile Email
« Reply #43 on: April 16, 2009, 08:17:18 PM »

iconfan

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #44 on: April 27, 2009, 01:53:05 PM »

You know what?
I got burned last time with Flags of Our Fathers because when that came out on DVD, knowing full well that Eastwood RARELY if EVER allows for audio commentary extras let alone any decent behind the scenes extra featurettes (though Unforgiven, Bridges, Blood Work and Space Cowboys had some sort of decent featurettes attached) thats over 10 minutes in length, I bought the DVD, figuring, well, I own the definitive version of the film

And then they released it later on with some bonus features

So now comes Gran Torino. A film I went and saw in the theater and loved. I feel it's one of his top ten best works in his career. So, as I said, I went to the theater to support the man's efforts and then I went home to wait for the DVD, which comes out in June.

I saw news today about the upcoming DVD release--which only has two (count them TWO) features .....get this.....about cars and how they help men "bond" or whatever.

Which is fine and dandy since it looks like their obviously going for the "male" market (a market that obviously LOVES cars)
But the ironic thing here (in my opinion) is that the car itself, the Gran Torino,  is just, if anything, a "B" character in the film. (not even that, since it's only seen in maybe ten total minutes in the whole film!)
The film is about so much more than just "cars"

It's about getting along with others and racism and tolerance and violence etc etc etc. To add to my pain is the fact that the DVD  looks to be about 23 bucks!!! And yes, Walmart or similar markets will have it on sale for around 17 bucks if I really go out of my way to search for a deal. (But then they wonder why alot of people are saving money  and just getting a burnt copy from Joe Blow at work. So I have to wait another 7 months or so and see if a double dipped copy with some sort of better bonus features will be included (like behind the scenes of the film, a chat with the screenwriter who did an amazing first draft, a look at the Homung culture (a culture that had more screentime than the CAR)

sigh. Anyone else have the feeling of being slightly ripped off by this news? (Amazon has artwork of the backcover where you can zoom in and read the text of the **cough** bonus features)
« Last Edit: April 27, 2009, 01:54:58 PM by iconfan » Logged
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #45 on: April 27, 2009, 06:41:12 PM »

You know what?
I got burned last time with Flags of Our Fathers because when that came out on DVD, knowing full well that Eastwood RARELY if EVER allows for audio commentary extras let alone any decent behind the scenes extra featurettes (though Unforgiven, Bridges, Blood Work and Space Cowboys had some sort of decent featurettes attached) thats over 10 minutes in length, I bought the DVD, figuring, well, I own the definitive version of the film

And then they released it later on with some bonus features

So now comes Gran Torino. A film I went and saw in the theater and loved. I feel it's one of his top ten best works in his career. So, as I said, I went to the theater to support the man's efforts and then I went home to wait for the DVD, which comes out in June.

I saw news today about the upcoming DVD release--which only has two (count them TWO) features .....get this.....about cars and how they help men "bond" or whatever.

Which is fine and dandy since it looks like their obviously going for the "male" market (a market that obviously LOVES cars)
But the ironic thing here (in my opinion) is that the car itself, the Gran Torino,  is just, if anything, a "B" character in the film. (not even that, since it's only seen in maybe ten total minutes in the whole film!)
The film is about so much more than just "cars"

It's about getting along with others and racism and tolerance and violence etc etc etc. To add to my pain is the fact that the DVD  looks to be about 23 bucks!!! And yes, Walmart or similar markets will have it on sale for around 17 bucks if I really go out of my way to search for a deal. (But then they wonder why alot of people are saving money  and just getting a burnt copy from Joe Blow at work. So I have to wait another 7 months or so and see if a double dipped copy with some sort of better bonus features will be included (like behind the scenes of the film, a chat with the screenwriter who did an amazing first draft, a look at the Homung culture (a culture that had more screentime than the CAR)

sigh. Anyone else have the feeling of being slightly ripped off by this news? (Amazon has artwork of the backcover where you can zoom in and read the text of the **cough** bonus features)

I've merged iconfan's "rant" into this thread where we've been discussing BluRay releases, but also regular DVD releases of Clint's movies. I've changed the thread title to reflect this, since it's reasonable to suppose that from now on, Eastwood films will be released in both formats.

We've also had some discussion about the upcoming DVD release of Gran Torino in the Q&A forum, here:

http://www.clinteastwood.org/forums/index.php?topic=7806.0
« Last Edit: April 27, 2009, 06:44:07 PM by KC » Logged
right turn clyde

View Profile Email
« Reply #46 on: April 28, 2009, 04:28:17 PM »

I wouldn't describe his comments as a 'rant', he makes a good point.

"No Country For Old Men" is already on it's second release on Blu-Ray with "extra features"!

The studios 'rant' about piracy ripping them off yet they do exactly the same. Why not rent n rip the DVD when it comes out and wait for the 2 disc edition 12 months later?

Some studios like MGM & Disney get it right first time, other studios like Warners & Miramax are just trying to rip off the customer.

"Rant" over.

KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #47 on: April 28, 2009, 05:19:26 PM »

Well, I put "rant" in quotes because I understand the point he's making ... and I agree, double dipping is a scam.
higashimori
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #48 on: May 06, 2009, 03:11:43 AM »

:)  " The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly "

A film review by Aaron Lazenby

http://www.filmcritic.com/misc/emporium.nsf/reviews/The-Good-the-Bad-and-the-Ugly

Positioned in history between the earnest majesty of John Ford’s The Searchers and Sam Peckinpah’s doomed cowboy dirge The Wild Bunch, Sergio Leone’s The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly is animated by the best those classic westerns have to offer. Sergio Leone’s Spaghetti Western masterpiece is still committed to many of the basic conventions of the not-yet moribund genre, embracing the wide-eyed epicness of Ford’s standard-bearer. But Blondie (Clint Eastwood), Angel Eyes (Lee Van Cleef), and Tuco (Eli Wallach), the respective title characters, occupy a brutal and complex moral world akin to Peckinpah, where women are beaten, crippled fathers are executed in their homes, and the ironically-named “good” guy earns his name for being only slightly less vile than the other gunslingers.

But Leone’s mixture of seemingly incompatible elements is what makes The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly so great. Not only does he combine a Cinemascope-era outlook with an eye for grittiness, but he mingles tasteful realism with a flamboyant, self-conscious style. Freeze frames, intertitles, and point-of-view shots brilliantly co-exist with the meticulously appointed period sets and sweeping frontier vistas. This fusion, in addition to a surplus of creativity and lack of restraint, makes the third in the so-called “man with no name” series the crowning glory of his career.
To the contemporary audience, the spiral whine of a ricocheting bullet, the squinty eyes, the stubby cigar in the side of the mouth are all icons that distract from the profound influence of this film. But the release of the special edition DVD provides an opportunity to revisit a worth and great film.

The newly remastered DVD is an absolute must-own. This two-disc set features 18 minutes of added footage, audio commentary by Richard Schickel, a number of making-of documentaries, and -- a really nifty addition -- a packet of reprinted international posters for the film. It's all packaged in a unique little box which includes a commemorative booklet as well.

Aka Il buono, il brutto, il cattivo.

" They just don't make then like this anymore ."      " I just don't meet then like him anymore !! "
right turn clyde

View Profile Email
« Reply #49 on: May 14, 2009, 12:37:17 AM »

Let's get this out of the way, no need to lock the thread, the faces haven't been smoothed over with cosmetic surgery  ;D

Has anyone else seen this release yet?

I hate it when they overdo the noise reduction.

http://www.amazon.com/review/R249KFJFU3DOVE/ref=cm_cr_pr_viewpnt#R249KFJFU3DOVE

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDReviews45/good_bad_and_the_ugly_blu-ray.htm
« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 12:46:49 AM by right turn clyde » Logged
higashimori
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #50 on: June 09, 2009, 03:28:19 AM »

:)  " NEW ON DVD "    Clint Eastwood settles the score — once again

By ROB LOWMAN LOS ANGELES DAILY NEWS

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ent/6465636.html

Gran Torino is a view back into Clint Eastwood’s career while being a movie that is as relevant and vital today as any film made in the last few years.

Some critics slammed Eastwood for the movies he made in the 1970s and ’80s. His character of Dirty Harry was anathema to many who decried the violence. And in other films — High Plains Drifter, Pale Rider — the actor was an avenging angel, settling scores and protecting the innocent with guns blazing and the bad guys receiving no mercy.

Eastwood’s Walt Kowalski in Gran Torino has much in common with those characters. A retired widower, Walt pretty much dislikes everything.

His Detroit neighbor­hood has been taken over by Hmong immigrants, whose Southeast Asia origins remind him of his days as a decorated soldier in the Korean War. He keeps his 1972 Ford Gran Torino, a classic muscle car, under wraps in his garage.

Despite urgings from his family to leave, Walt is determined to make a last stand in his house. This changes when some Hmong gangbangers force his neighbors’ teenage son, Thao (Bee Vang), to try to steal the Torino. Walt nearly kills, but Thao’s talkative sister Sue (Ahney Her) breaks through the veteran’s shell.

Eastwood gives what can be called a clever performance, as all those other figures of masculinity that he played in his younger days are still there in the retiree’s craggy face. The difference is that while Walt is quick to grab a gun, he isn’t necessarily quick to use it.

" They just don't make then like this anymore ."      " I just don't meet then like him anymore !! "
higashimori
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #51 on: June 12, 2009, 06:11:18 AM »

higashimori
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #52 on: June 14, 2009, 08:13:26 AM »

:)  " Metcalf's DVD Screening Room: "Gran Torino" "

http://onmilwaukee.com/movies/articles/metcalfdvd061309.html   

By Mark Metcalf   Special to OnMilwaukee.com

GRAN TORINO (2008)

This is the latest, and by some accounts on the great rumor mill that runs Hollywood, the last film by Clint Eastwood. There is an old canard in the design trade, which I think applies to any creative act -- form follows function. In other words, you don't decide what you want something to look like and then fill it up, you pursue the function, or the content, and what it looks like will rise up out of that.

Gran Torino is a case in point.

It is about a working-class guy, now retired and living in a decidedly working-class neighborhood in a working-class city, Detroit. It is produced and directed by Eastwood, who has proved himself over time to be clearly a working-class kind of hero, and a very workmanlike director. Ergo, what you get is a working-class film, or in some parlance, a pedestrian film. Now, putting a word like "pedestrian" on it would be, at some tea parties, a putdown. I don't intend it that way.

I admire Eastwood's bricks-and-mortar way of building a film. The architecture is simple and he doesn't care if it shows. The films he makes are like brick row houses in the Polish neighborhoods of Hamtramck: they are solid, will last a couple of generations at least, keep you warm through a long hard winter and are cool enough in summer not to need air conditioning, which we can't afford anyway. Each one looks like the one next door, but what matters about a house like this is who lives in it -- not what color it's painted -- because the people inside are your neighbors.

Someone I had a conversation with once upon a time worked with Eastwood as a director. He said that he argued with Eastwood, because Clint wrapped a scene they were shooting before my friend thought they had gotten a good take. Eastwood stopped for a minute to explain that they were making a film, which was a little like putting up a wall. If one of the bricks in that wall was a little off-color or out of alignment, it didn't really matter because the other bricks would hold it all up and the one wouldn't be noticed.

Obviously, he's not the obsessive-compulsive, egocentric-auteur type of director. And no one will ever mistake him for a great artist of the cinema. Probably. But if you look at "Unforgiven," at the craft of the filmmaking, the acting within the frame, and the level of introspection and self-analysis in the story, you have to acknowledge that that film, at least, is more than a simple entertainment. "Flags of Our Fathers" has great ambition, but fails because the director, Eastwood, is looking outward, away from himself, at the "bigger picture," and that is against his taciturn, inward-turning, self-reflective nature.

One of the images I will always have of Eastwood is of him running when he is in training in "Every Which Way But Loose," or the other one, "Every Which Way You Can." He runs like a man wearing heavy work boots. He runs like a man who does not thrill to running, a man for whom it is work, for whom there may even be some physical pain involved, but he continues doing it because he must, because it is his job, and because his will is strong.

"Gran Torino" is like him running. It is clunky, workmanlike, his boots are too heavy, and much of the acting, from the man himself and especially from the supporting cast, many of whom are new to the job, looks like it is painful, and not in an empathetic way.

But the story is inspired. The reason for being there is important, and no one else in Hollywood would bother to tell the story of an irascible old bigot of a bachelor living in the midst of a Hmong neighborhood in a working-class city in America and learning to care for them and to not hate without thinking and to sacrifice.

No one in Hollywood would do that, would tell that story about themselves. But Eastwood does. And he does it with clear-sighted vision. And that's why he's Clint to his friends.

philo
Member Extraordinaire

"Slightly advanced"

View Profile Email
« Reply #53 on: June 15, 2009, 03:02:06 PM »

Let's get this out of the way, no need to lock the thread, the faces haven't been smoothed over with cosmetic surgery  ;D

Has anyone else seen this release yet?

I hate it when they overdo the noise reduction.

http://www.amazon.com/review/R249KFJFU3DOVE/ref=cm_cr_pr_viewpnt#R249KFJFU3DOVE

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDReviews45/good_bad_and_the_ugly_blu-ray.htm

Yes here they go again.
People who do not understand how a motion picture should look.
Do not waste your time on this blue ray edition if it has been over noise reduced.
When are they going to hire someone to oversee these transfers to make sure the life of the film image is retained. I will spell this out in capitals ....
DON'T REMOVE THE FILM GRAIN, IT IS ITS LIFE AND IS SUPPOSED TO BE THERE !!!
I have stopped shouting now
These films more than any other will suffer, when the cheaper Techniscope process was used the trade off was film grain. To try and remove it literally kills the film and it then looks like a soft mess.

I might as well share with you what Lin already knows .... In just over a week I am leaving the BBC after 24 years. I am currently working on my CV/resume. I will be sending it to every studio and post production company in the US I can think of.
I hope someone hires me !!

Philo .
« Last Edit: June 15, 2009, 03:03:10 PM by philo » Logged

"I won't be hitting you with my face"
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #54 on: June 15, 2009, 06:32:32 PM »

Good luck, Philo!
philo
Member Extraordinaire

"Slightly advanced"

View Profile Email
« Reply #55 on: June 16, 2009, 03:22:02 AM »

Thanks KC,
The way the job market is, I will need it !!

Seriously though I am not leaving in need of another full time job, so anything part time would be fine.
This is sort of semi early retirement for me.

Sorry this is off topic

Philo .

Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #56 on: June 16, 2009, 04:47:59 AM »

I wish you well Philo and I just know you could sort out some of the dreadful reproductions we are offered these days.  I agree there is no need to remove the life of the movie just to give a better quality.  Who says the quality is better anyway??    Altering sight and sound removes the soul and people are not seeing the movie as it was intended to be seen.
philo
Member Extraordinaire

"Slightly advanced"

View Profile Email
« Reply #57 on: June 16, 2009, 07:57:40 AM »

Lin ....
I couldn't have put it better myself.
and with all the money it costs to do, that is the HD version the world is now stuck with.

Thanks for the best wishes

Philo .

right turn clyde

View Profile Email
« Reply #58 on: June 16, 2009, 09:41:22 PM »

Yes here they go again.
People who do not understand how a motion picture should look.
Do not waste your time on this blue ray edition if it has been over noise reduced.
When are they going to hire someone to oversee these transfers to make sure the life of the film image is retained. I will spell this out in capitals ....
DON'T REMOVE THE FILM GRAIN, IT IS ITS LIFE AND IS SUPPOSED TO BE THERE !!!
I have stopped shouting now
These films more than any other will suffer, when the cheaper Techniscope process was used the trade off was film grain. To try and remove it literally kills the film and it then looks like a soft mess.

I might as well share with you what Lin already knows .... In just over a week I am leaving the BBC after 24 years. I am currently working on my CV/resume. I will be sending it to every studio and post production company in the US I can think of.

I hope someone hires me !!

I've not seen Ghostbusters, but the studios seem to be very hit & miss with some BD titles. The Wizard Of Oz is released soon with an 8k scan, the first movie (except Baraka) to have such HD, will be interesting to see how it looks because as we know Warners does hold some great films from Clint in it's vaults.

This is a very conflicted recommendation. My first reaction to watching the transfer was to take it out of my player in anger. This frustrated me. GHOSTBUSTERS is a seminal and important film work in my geeky life. I love the effects, the comedy, the performances, the music… everything – and when I watched it – The grain was so sharpened that it became an instant and annoying problem. Mainly due to the fact that I’ve seen this film in 35mm and it does not have the issues with the grain that I saw on the Blu Ray. I’ve read that the original DP supervised with the producer this transfer. And when I put my old DVD in, yes.. there is a VAST improvement in image quality. But mainly due to the fact that the GHOSTBUSTERS dvd is one of the worst DVD transfers that I’ve seen – this side of that original ROAD WARRIOR disc. BUT when they gave us ROAD WARRIOR on Blu – it was stunning. Not really the case here. I am recommending this disc for many reasons, the main one is that… at least it is better than what we had before, but it isn’t mind blowingly great. And that is a shame.
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/41426

« Last Edit: November 21, 2009, 09:26:48 AM by KC » Logged
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #59 on: June 17, 2009, 05:39:03 AM »

RTC, which part of that, if any, is your contribution? Or are you quoting both Philo and aintitcool.com? I'm confused.

EDIT: I've edited RTC's post to clarify what parts are quotes and from whom.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2009, 09:27:49 AM by KC » Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 18 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T