News: Now showing in theaters: CRY MACHO, directed by and starring Clint Eastwood!

« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: "You better bury Ned right...."  (Read 29257 times)
Richard Earl
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #60 on: August 17, 2007, 08:15:19 PM »

This has to be the thread that I have most enjoyed in my time on this board. There have been many opinions about this great film. It has been touched on about how there are things unanswered about Munny and what happened to him and what could have happened to him as well as thoughts about if he changed or not. The film leaves so many things open to our imaginations which has been talked about in this discussion.

Music speaks louder then words. It's the only thing that the whole world listens to. (Peter, Paul & Mary)
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #61 on: August 17, 2007, 08:16:50 PM »

Yeah, this is really one of the best discussions we've had here in a long, long time! 8)
WeAllHaveItCominKid
Member Extraordinaire

They got a sign on him in front of Greely's?

View Profile Email
« Reply #62 on: August 18, 2007, 08:31:41 AM »

Yeah, this is really one of the best discussions we've had here in a long, long time! 8)

And I'm enjoying this immensely talking to all of you! It's been great.  :)

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."
WeAllHaveItCominKid
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #63 on: June 24, 2008, 08:17:55 PM »

I miss this thread. We had some great exchanges going back and forth.

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #64 on: June 24, 2008, 09:12:04 PM »

And you got me to skim through the whole thing again!

We have a few new people around now ... does anyone want to add something here? :)
Lucky Punk

Email
« Reply #65 on: June 25, 2008, 06:16:50 AM »

Clint seems to carry such gravitas as an actor that it is very difficult for us to see him as the "bad guy".

There is much moral ambiguity in many of his performances, Munny being the pinnacle of this type.
How can we feel empathy for a self confessed murdering alcoholic? But somehow we do.

As he transforms in front of our eyes during Little Sue's description of Ned's demise the realisation of what has to come is charged with doom. I honestly thought, on first viewing at the cinema, that Will would meet a well deserved end in Greely's and was slightly let down that Munny survived. However over the years those final scenes stand as a majestic coda to Clint's western persona.

Compare Munny with his early "stranger" characters. Cool as ice and unshakable, squinting thoughtfully as they weigh up the odds of every situation and we don't doubt they will - and indeed must - prevail. They are at times almost unearthly ( as in High Plains Drifter and Pale Rider ).

Now watch Will as he enters Greely's in the showdown. He is terrifying, wide staring eyes, full of murderous rage as he admits to past atrocities. Will is vulnerable, not the shot he once was, but has obviously faced down the likes of Little Bill before.

"I was lucky in the order of things, but i've always been lucky when it comes to killing folks"

Will plays down his obvious ability to remain focussed under fire - the deputies have simply never faced a determined gunfighter before as we witness their panic and loss of control.

Then his bluster as he leaves the saloon, full of intimidating threats he has no way of carrying out ( as KC points out he is almost out of ammo ). But the threats obviously work as he is emboldened to follow with.

" or i'll come back and kill everyone of you sons of b'ches "

Although it's hard to see how he could carry out such a threat, the line is delivered with such venom the townsfolk take him at his word and allow him to leave unharmed.

Clint's earlier ethereal "strangers" are now all too human in his portrayal of William Munny.

This movie grows in stature as years go by and is strengthened by multiple viewings.

LP
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #66 on: June 25, 2008, 04:18:33 PM »

Good post, Lucky Punk! 8)
Richard Earl
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #67 on: June 25, 2008, 07:10:18 PM »

That was some good stuff Lucky Punk.

Unforgiven is an emotional movie for me. It is my favorite Clint film. I have some new thoughts. Yeah, Munny was a cold blooded killer back in his day but Little Bill was a real SOB during the film. I hated him with a passion. Seeing Munny come back to his old ways to kill Little Bill for what he did to Ned and the pain that Bill inflicted on others all through the film gave me a great satisfaction. This is my favorite film where the bad guy gets his at the end. Munny was a likable person that had feelings and thoughts for people present and past. Little Bill was all about hurting people throughout the film.

Music speaks louder then words. It's the only thing that the whole world listens to. (Peter, Paul & Mary)
WeAllHaveItCominKid
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #68 on: June 25, 2008, 07:10:41 PM »

YES, great post Lucky Punk! I really enjoyed that.

Lucky Punk

Email
« Reply #69 on: June 25, 2008, 11:25:20 PM »

YES, great post Lucky Punk! I really enjoyed that.

Thanks, I'm enjoying this thread. I think Unforgiven can be enjoyed by non fans but has more relevance to people who have followed his career a bit closer.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2008, 12:18:20 AM by Lucky Punk » Logged
WeAllHaveItCominKid
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #70 on: June 26, 2008, 09:40:17 AM »

Thanks, I'm enjoying this thread. I think Unforgiven can be enjoyed by non fans but has more relevance to people who have followed his career a bit closer.

I agree. I know quite a few people who do not like western films but love "Unforgiven." That being said, I still can't have an in depth conversation about the film with them. They just say they like it and that is where the convo ends. It's the Clint Eastwood and western film fan lovers I can actually talk about it with. The film is up there with my favorite of all-time. There's just so many aspects of the film that you can talk about. It's a brilliant work of art.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T