News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Eastwood Movie Novelizations  (Read 762 times)
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

The real me

View Profile Email
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2019, 12:24:11 PM »

They seem to have stopped publishing novelizations. I think the latest one I have is for A Perfect World. Anyone have anything later than that? Aside from tie-ins of existing books?
I'm surprised that a movie like Space Cowboys didn't get a novelization. That would be the sort of movie that would tend to get one, I'd think. I just looked to see if it was based on a book and it looks like it was an original script.

I just stumbled across the wikipedia page about novelizations (I'm not sure why this interests me so much--I do like reading a lot so I guess there's that... :D), but I saw this little tidbit about In the Line of Fire:

Writing skill is particularly needed for challenging situations common to writing novelizations of popular media, such as lack of access to information about the film, last-minute script changes and very quick turnaround times. Max Allan Collins, for example, had to write the novelization of In the Line of Fire in nine days.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Novelization
« Last Edit: July 31, 2019, 12:31:10 PM by Christopher » Logged
Americanbeauty
Member Extraordinaire

There's a darkness inside all of us ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2019, 02:47:02 AM »

Chris lured me back in with this topic 😅🤗 I'm glad he did!

Pictured is the extent of my collection 😎 I have all 12. Minus a few creases on a couple of them, they're all in very good condition. I found them on eBay a while back, bought them all from the same guy who was selling his whole collection.

I really like the cover art, as well as the quote on the back of each book.

PS: Hi guys! 😉👋🏻

Envoyé de mon SM-G930F en utilisant Tapatalk

Make-'em-run-around-the-block-howling-in-agony stunning

"He that hath no beard is less than a man, and he that is less than a man, I am not for him…" 'Much Ado About Nothing' Act 2, Scene I (William Shakespeare)

http://americanbphotography.tumblr.com/
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2019, 07:32:09 AM »

Bonjour, Americanbeauty! 8)
Americanbeauty
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2019, 08:03:11 AM »

Bonjour, Americanbeauty! 8)
Bonjour KC! 😁😃

"He that hath no beard is less than a man, and he that is less than a man, I am not for him…" 'Much Ado About Nothing' Act 2, Scene I (William Shakespeare)

Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

The real me

View Profile Email
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2019, 01:36:35 PM »

Quite fortunate you found someone selling the whole set! I checked eBay and it's individual books for sale, and some of those are pretty expensive.

Looking at the stack of books, is the middle one Sudden Impact?
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2019, 05:15:34 PM »

I really like the cover art, as well as the quote on the back of each book.

I do too. So little effort is put into the books I have -- they just usually use the poster art for the covers.  It's nice to see this collection with their own original art.
Americanbeauty
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2019, 03:20:00 AM »

Quite fortunate you found someone selling the whole set! I checked eBay and it's individual books for sale, and some of those are pretty expensive.
I checked and it turns out that I purchased #1-11 from the same seller in May 2005, believe it or not they were $1 each! Shipping is what cost me the most 😂 And #12 was bought from another seller for $5.

Looking at the stack of books, is the middle one Sudden Impact?
Yes, it is!
« Last Edit: August 02, 2019, 06:08:55 AM by Americanbeauty » Logged

Americanbeauty
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2019, 03:20:56 AM »

I do too. So little effort is put into the books I have -- they just usually use the poster art for the covers.  It's nice to see this collection with their own original art.
Agreed! 🙌🏻

Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

The real me

View Profile Email
« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2019, 02:58:48 PM »

So, AB... no love for The Dead Pool novelization? ;)

I checked and it turns out that I purchased #1-11 from the same seller in May 2005, believe it or not they were $1 each! Shipping is what cost me the most 😂 And #12 was bought from another seller for $5.
Wow, that's not bad! And you've had those for a while too!
Americanbeauty
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2019, 07:03:06 AM »

So, AB... no love for The Dead Pool novelization? ;)
Not my favorite DH film... I guess I didn't look hard enough 🙊😅

KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2019, 12:23:51 PM »

OK, here are some shots from my collection.

Overall view:

Details:

I'm not including the "Dirty Harry" spinoff series, since AB has a better collection (and takes better photos). I did include the one "Man with No Name" spinoff I have.

I think I may have a few more scattered around someplace, but these are all I could locate easily. Some of them are in multiple editions with different cover art (one Thunderbolt and Lightfoot, oddly, isn't presented as a movie tie-in at all, but as a "novel about a heist"):

Michael Cimino is acknowledged as the author of the "screenplay" on the title page.

As I was putting these away, I realized that one I thought was a dupe was actually two editions, with different cover art:

You'll note that some of them are in foreign languages. I think the prize of the collection is the German Unforgiven ...

There was never (as far as I know) an English-language novelization, and I hunted for this one for a long time before finally tracking it down. The text is very closely based on the film as released, so I assume the author didn't have any access to shooting or pre-production scripts.
Doug
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

"May I make a suggestion..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2019, 03:24:35 PM »

I think of all those, I'd be most interested in the Dirty Harry spinoff novels. Have you read those, AB?

And KC, is The Bridges of Madison County any better in German?   :)

"Yes, well, when I see five weirdos dressed in togas stabbing a guy in the middle of a park in full view of a hundred people, I shoot the bastards, that's my policy."  Frank Drebin, Police Squad.
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

The real me

View Profile Email
« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2019, 05:07:14 PM »

I'm surprised Unforgiven didn't get an English novelization! And I was surprised to see A Coffin Full of Bullets there--at first I wondered if it was the same as one of the previous books but just published under a different title (not that that would make sense). Thanks, KC. You even put them in order of release! :D
Americanbeauty
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2019, 04:17:14 AM »

That's a very nice collection, KC 😎

I think of all those, I'd be most interested in the Dirty Harry spinoff novels. Have you read those, AB?
Yeah, I did read them all, a long time ago though.

Here's a front and back view of all 12 books.

Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

The real me

View Profile Email
« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2019, 06:06:04 AM »

Not my favorite DH film... I guess I didn't look hard enough 🙊😅
Looking at KC's collection, maybe they didn't write one for The Dead Pool.

And those covers for the Dirty Harry spin-off series really are cool! 8) Just a few days ago I found some decently priced books listed individually on eBay for this series, so I ordered books 2 and 3.
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

The real me

View Profile Email
« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2019, 04:54:02 PM »

Just a few days ago I found some decently priced books listed individually on eBay for this series, so I ordered books 2 and 3.
And I started reading book 2 Death on the Docks yesterday, and it certainly begins with a bang!
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T