News: THE MULE, directed by and starring Clint Eastwood: now on disc and streaming!

« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 [84] Go Down Print
Author Topic: What was the last Eastwood film you watched?  (Read 243868 times)
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1660 on: September 10, 2019, 06:47:26 PM »

Was watching High Plains Drifter last night after many years... I always said this in fact that Billy Curtis was tremendous in that role. That camera shot zooming in of Curtis when he hides under the Hotel is a money shot.......Interesting that Leone didn't care for the movie......

"Tremendous," figuratively speaking. ;)
Perry
Member Extraordinaire

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #1661 on: September 12, 2019, 02:55:18 PM »

Marianna Hill is tremendous too, but that's another discussion........ >:D
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #1662 on: September 12, 2019, 08:19:20 PM »

I always felt Tightrope was more of a turning point for Eastwood. I always felt Eastwood should had got a different actor to play the Stovall role then himself. Though he wasn't thought of as an actor at the time, despite a small role in 1981's Thief by Michael Mann, Willie Nelson would had been a nice choice and the movie would had done better commercially. Also, I always thought what a great role that would had been for Elvis if his demise never happened in 1977......

Was watching High Plains Drifter last night after many years... I always said this in fact that Billy Curtis was tremendous in that role. That camera shot zooming in of Curtis when he hides under the Hotel is a money shot.......Interesting that Leone didn't care for the movie......

I like Clint as Red. Willy Nelson would have been a very interesting choice. I've never thought of that, but one of the things that Clint was able to depict very well that Willy Nelson wouldn't have been able to do is this: Red had a little bit of talent, which he squandered with his alcoholism. The fact that Red wasn't a world class talent is very important to the story. Amazingly talented musicians often, though not always, tend to transcend their vices. They are so talented that they're able to play drunk, or high, or damaged, and audiences can rarely even tell the difference. It's people that have just a little bit of talent who are often not able to overcome their vices since the drugs or the alcohol reduce the talent that they have to show the world. The little talent that they have can't be developed fully unless they are firing at 100% and giving everything that they have to nurturing and fortifying that talent. They don't have enough talent to rise above their vices and still have enough talent to be impressive. I don't think Willy Nelson would have been able to convincingly portray that type of character, and that is, to me, what makes Red such an effective and tragic character.
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

You gotta be durable...real durable. Most ain't

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1663 on: September 12, 2019, 10:22:39 PM »

We'll put AKA.. Totally agree.
I think it's Clints ability to play this type of character so well that makes this film so rewarding...

Borderline burnout with questionable social skills
Perry
Member Extraordinaire

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #1664 on: September 13, 2019, 11:05:51 AM »

I disagree.  Even a guy like Harry Dean Staton would had been a better choice than Eastwood for that role. I think Eastwood did a decent job, but I just never bought into it. I realize it was a small movie @ the time, I just felt then and still do that another actor should had played the part..........Marianna Hill still is tremendous.....
« Last Edit: September 18, 2019, 03:52:25 PM by Perry » Logged
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

The real me

View Profile Email
« Reply #1665 on: September 13, 2019, 04:13:35 PM »

It's hard for me to imagine someone else other than Eastwood playing Red in Honkytonk Man. But that's always been a favorite of mine. That might be my favorite movie of his from that decade. Certainly other actors could have played it, but I'm glad we have that Clint performance on film.

What interests me more is it seems a long time ago I read or heard that Clint had offered the grandfather's part in the movie to James Stewart. Am I remembering that correctly? I would have loved to see those two in a movie together.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2019, 07:12:11 AM by Christopher » Logged
Hocine

View Profile Email
« Reply #1666 on: September 14, 2019, 01:56:08 AM »

I always felt Tightrope was more of a turning point for Eastwood. I always felt Eastwood should had got a different actor to play the Stovall role then himself. Though he wasn't thought of as an actor at the time, despite a small role in 1981's Thief by Michael Mann, Willie Nelson would had been a nice choice and the movie would had done better commercially. Also, I always thought what a great role that would had been for Elvis if his demise never happened in 1977......

Clint Eastwood said once that Red Stovall should have been played by an unknown actor.
It would be better for the box office results.
In 1982, Clint was still associated with Dirty Harry and the westerns he made.
So, the audience didnít accept to see Clint as a loser.
The audience didnít accept to see Clint in The Beguiled as well.
Clint thought that it was one of the reasons of the failure of Honkytonk Man at the box office.
On the other hand, nobody else in Hollywood was interested in making Honkytonk Man.
Because it was too sad, too depressing. Clint was right to make it.
In my opinion, Honkytonk Man is one of the most personal movies Clint has made.
Heís wonderful as Red Stovall. Honkytonk Man is a darker version of Bronco Billy.
Hocine

View Profile Email
« Reply #1667 on: September 14, 2019, 02:01:00 AM »

It's hard for me to imagine somewhere else other than Eastwood playing Red in Honkytonk Man. But that's always been a favorite of mine. That might be my favorite movie of his from that decade. Certainly other actors could have played it, but I'm glad we have that Clint performance on film.

What interests me more is it seems a long time ago I read or heard that Clint had offered the grandfather's part in the movie to James Stewart. Am I remembering that correctly? I would have loved to see those two in a movie together.

Youíre right, Christopher.
Clint wanted Jimmy Stewart to play the grandfather.
Stewart turned it down because he didnít want to play a grandfather.
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« Reply #1668 on: September 14, 2019, 03:38:47 AM »

Stewart turned it down because he didnít want to play a grandfather.

Has to be more to it than that?  ???

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #1669 on: September 14, 2019, 05:26:59 AM »

I disagree.  Even a guy like Harry Dean Staton would had been a better choice than Eastwood for that role. I think Eastwood did a credible job, but I just never bought into it. I realize it was a small movie @ the time, I just felt then and still do that another actor should had played the part..........Marianna Hill still i stremendous.....

Perry, why didn't you like Clint in the role? Was it because you just didn't want to see him play this type of character, or was there something that you felt was lacking in his performance that you felt Willy Nelson or Harry Dean Stanton would have been able to bring to life?
Perry
Member Extraordinaire

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #1670 on: September 14, 2019, 12:42:46 PM »

To be honest AKA, I remember reading the novel by Clancy Carlisle before the movie came out and never thought Eastwood would be playing the Stovall character. Directing it yeah.... But honestly from a personal standpoint I was losing interest in Eastwood's choice of movies beginning in late 1976 which started with The Enforcer right through Sudden Impact. The only movies I quite liked from that late 76'-1984 period was Alcatraz and Tightrope. I remember reading two magazine articles in Crawdaddy and Esquire in the late 70's and Eastwood was expounding on expanding in other territories which was fine, but I felt his choices were eh and this was the Sondra Locke era......That's just my opinion. The ape movies, Sudden Impact certainly made money, but I thought he should had done 48 Hours and The Killing Fields. Regardless, Honkytonk Man is not a bad movie or story. I just always felt another actor could and should had done it. After seeing what Duvall did with Tender Mercies it only solidified my opinion. Listen, if others disagree that's fine. That's the beauty of this website. As you know, I'm not a big fan of Unforgiven as 99% of everyone else is. I think it's a good movie, but never felt it was Eastwood's defining opus. I rather watch White Hunter, Black Heart. So, I just never felt Eastwood was credible in that Stovall role. I just felt he miscast himself. So when others say they can't see anyone else in that role than Eastwood I disagree enormously.....Marianna Hill still is awesome....
« Last Edit: September 18, 2019, 03:55:36 PM by Perry » Logged
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1671 on: September 14, 2019, 05:23:31 PM »

Thank you, Perry. That's a great answer, even if I would take the other side of this debate. I wish we had more discussion like this around here.
PeterD

View Profile Email
« Reply #1672 on: September 14, 2019, 10:20:56 PM »

I watched Honky Tonk Man yesterday. I think it was very much a Clint vehicle as it combined a lot of what he has woven into his movies over the years:

• his singing
  • the telling of a story
  • him bringing a group of people along with him in a ragtag assortment along the lines of Bronco Billy and one of the westerns (forgot the name of it)
  • bit of humour

Perhaps it wasn't his greatest film (Gran Torino? Dirty Harry? Unforgiven?) but it was more than watchable and certainly not one of his worst films (City Heat? The Rookie?)

I am just happy to see the movies where he branched out successfully with movies that tested him a bit more than the westerns and Dirty Harry movies did.

The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« Reply #1673 on: September 14, 2019, 10:22:16 PM »

Iím pretty sure that film critic Leonard Maltin called Honkytonk Man the type of film that gives ďchange of paceĒ a bad name.

I like the film because again, Clint was playing a vulnerable character. He wasnít afraid to do these change of pace films.

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
PeterD

View Profile Email
« Reply #1674 on: September 14, 2019, 10:34:07 PM »

Yep, I could see the change of pace with Honky Tonk being unpopular. Perhaps Client's biggest risk was the Philo Beddoe films, sharing the screen with an orangutan was daring.
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1675 on: September 15, 2019, 09:36:56 AM »

I watched Honky Tonk Man yesterday. I think it was very much a Clint vehicle as it combined a lot of what he has woven into his movies over the years:

• his singing
  • the telling of a story
  • him bringing a group of people along with him in a ragtag assortment along the lines of Bronco Billy and one of the westerns (forgot the name of it)
  • bit of humour

Perhaps it wasn't his greatest film (Gran Torino? Dirty Harry? Unforgiven?) but it was more than watchable and certainly not one of his worst films (City Heat? The Rookie?)

I am just happy to see the movies where he branched out successfully with movies that tested him a bit more than the westerns and Dirty Harry movies did.

Nice post, thanks. The Western you are thinking of would be The Outlaw Josey Wales.
Perry
Member Extraordinaire

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #1676 on: September 15, 2019, 01:49:21 PM »

Personally I think sharing the screen with a orangutan made more sense than sharing the screen with Sondra Locke....
« Last Edit: September 18, 2019, 03:57:42 PM by Perry » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 [84] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T