News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 86 87 [88] 89 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What was the last Eastwood film you watched?  (Read 299706 times)
Hocine

View Profile Email
« Reply #1740 on: May 19, 2020, 02:44:25 AM »

Where Eagles Dare is one of the best movies and greatest WW2 vehicles ever made. I'm a bit surprised someone would not enjoy that and put that on their list of Eastwood movies they are not enamored with, but then I never cared for Unforgiven..

Where Eagles Dare is still entertaining. It’s a good action picture.
Clint Eastwood showed that he had a great physical presence, even if he was next to a Shakespearian actor like Richard Burton. They worked well together.
However, the role that Clint had to play wasn’t among the most challenging of his career.
In this movie, Clint was essentially a killing machine. He seemed to have been hired for the skills he developed in the Dollars trilogy. In Kelly’s Heroes, he probably had more to do as an actor.
I like them both. Where Eagles Dare looks more like a thriller whereas Kelly’s Heroes looks more like a comedy.
But Clint wasn’t so happy with them. It’s a short period time of his career when he was a rising movie star in Hollywood and did some big movies for the studios. Paint Your Wagon was one of those movies: Clint considered it as a waste of time and money. He thought that MGM ruined Kelly’s Heroes in the editing room: Brian G. Hutton didn’t have the final cut. Joshua Logan didn’t have the final cut for Paramount’s Paint Your Wagon.
Clint said that Where Eagles Dare should have been called Where Doubles Dare because stuntmen were required for many action sequences.
Hocine

View Profile Email
« Reply #1741 on: May 19, 2020, 03:56:11 AM »

With the excellence of Firefox aside, Honkytonk Man is easily one of Clint’s greatest films..

I agree with City Heat and cant see me revisiting that one but Eagles is a lot of fun...

I’d Like the chance to see Blood Work and Pink Cadillac again sometime.. but Inthink next up will be Bronco Billy

Bronco Billy and Honkytonk Man are easily two of Clint’s greatest films, as an actor and as a director.
It’s about the American dream. These films seem to be forgotten by the audience.
Thunderbolt and Lightfoot, an other great film, announced movies like Bronco Billy and Honkytonk Man.
I’ve always been fascinated by the way America was depicted in these films. Something like a lost paradise.
They are timeless pictures.

Blood Work seems a good bye to Dirty Harry.
The way Clint played with his character’s vulnerability is interesting.

Pink Cadillac is an attempt to remake Every Which Way but Loose.
Some scenes are funny: for example, the Reno sequences.
I haven’t seen it for a long time.
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #1742 on: May 19, 2020, 03:45:46 PM »

I can't see myself revisiting "City Heat" either. Add that one to the list!

There are some as a director that I'm not excited to revisit as well. I probably wouldn't see "Jersey Boys" or "15:17 to Paris" again, but if I saw most of them on TV, I might watch. I'd be more likely to revisit something like "Mystic River," or "Changeling," or "Letters from Iwo Jima." I think those are three of his stronger director-only efforts, and they also have compelling stories.
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

You gotta be durable...real durable. Most ain't

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1743 on: May 19, 2020, 10:31:55 PM »

Agreed AKA... I’d definitely watch those three directed works by Clint again.. Mystic River is a real fave of mine...
I saw that here in London prior to its release followed by an interview and Q&A with Clint.A very special occasion ..
and right away I knew this was a very special film and I predicted oscars  right here that very night...

I’d also like to watch Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil again at some point...

Borderline burnout with questionable social skills
Hocine

View Profile Email
« Reply #1744 on: May 20, 2020, 03:48:36 AM »

Agreed AKA... I’d definitely watch those three directed works by Clint again.. Mystic River is a real fave of mine...
I saw that here in London prior to its release followed by an interview and Q&A with Clint.A very special occasion ..
and right away I knew this was a very special film and I predicted oscars  right here that very night...

I’d also like to watch Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil again at some point...

Mystic River is really a great film.
I think that it should have won the Golden Palm in Cannes Film Festival.
But President of Jury Patrice Chéreau wasn’t particularly fond of Clint Eastwood movies.
I also think that if Peter Jackson’s The Return of the King wasn’t at the Oscars 2004, Mystic River would have won the Best Picture Oscar and Clint would have won the Best Director Oscar.
Mystic River is an important step in Clint’s career.
After Space Cowboys and Blood Work, many people thought that it was time to retire for Clint.
Mystic River proved that they were wrong.
It was the beginning of a great decade for Clint in movies.
It’s always a pleasure to see Mystic River again.
I put it in my ten favourite movies directed by Clint Eastwood: the others are Unforgiven, The Outlaw Josey Wales, Million Dollar Baby, Bird, A Perfect World, The Bridges of Madison County, Letters from Iwo Jima, Honkytonk Man, High Plains Drifter.
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #1745 on: May 20, 2020, 12:28:42 PM »

Pink Cadillac

I watched this yesterday.  One of my least favorites but hell, Clint’s in it and these days that’s good enough for me.  I’d love to see him work with Bernadette Peters again.  Maybe not a comedy, though.  It was fun spotting a lot of names in here, actors Clint had worked with before and would again.  Bryan Adams has a small part as a gas station attendant.  I’d forgotten about James Cromwell, who’d go in to star in Space Cowboys with Clint.  I’d also forgotten about Paul Benjamin, who’d been in Escape From Alcatraz.  Jim Carrey works with Clint for a second time but in a much smaller role here.  I believe this was Frances Fishers’ first appearance with Clint and also did very well with Unforgiven and True Crime.  I did remember Geoffrey Lewis being in this, a regular in a number of Clint’s films.  I laughed at myself thinking, “Wouldn’t it be cool if Bill McKinney was in this, too?” Minutes later, Eastwood’s character walks into a bar...and McKinney is the bartender!  I’d recently seen this movie just last year, too!  Never leaves a strong impression but I enjoyed seeing it again.  Dan Blocker’s son, Dirk, is in this movie, too.  I didn’t realize it was him until I saw his name in the credits. 

Clint’s character is a little goofy at times and that’s probably a hard pill to swallow.  Hell, at least he tried.  The antagonizer wasn’t intimidating and that was a big mistake.  The dude was short!  Same problem in The Dead Pool. 

So, it was fun sitting through another home-screening of Pink Cadillac.  I’m not sure what I’ll watch when the big man’s birthday rolls around later this month.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: May 20, 2020, 12:38:07 PM by Jed Cooper » Logged

“Eyuh.”
Speer

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1746 on: May 20, 2020, 01:41:46 PM »

Today I saw City Heat. Not the best movie of Eastwood's career but never mind. A buddy movie not exciting. Unfortunately I consider it a wasted opportunity. Two great actors would have deserved a better script.

KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1747 on: May 20, 2020, 02:38:00 PM »

I agree about the script. The music is very good, though!
Speer

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1748 on: May 20, 2020, 03:14:13 PM »

Sure! But it's not enugh... ;)

Perry
Member Extraordinaire

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #1749 on: May 21, 2020, 11:30:03 AM »

Lady Godiva

Maureen O'Hara was nice to look at even with clothes on.
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1750 on: May 24, 2020, 11:02:47 PM »

Now that it’s available to stream I re-watched Richard Jewell.

My opinion hasn’t really changed. It’s a very good, solid film packed with very good performances.. One exception being
Olivia Wilde as journalist Cathy Scruggs who I found to be a bit of a cartoonish, pantomime villain ...

I preferred it Richard Jewell to many of Clint’s more recent films tho I do hope he returns to fiction next time around..

Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #1751 on: May 25, 2020, 08:34:54 AM »

Watching now...

again.

And... loving it! 😎

« Last Edit: May 25, 2020, 08:51:42 AM by Jed Cooper » Logged

“Eyuh.”
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #1752 on: May 27, 2020, 04:41:44 PM »

I really like his scenes together with Clarke and Hawthorne...
This is a  very good scene. 

Gant: Supposing I get to liftoff and everything works well, what happens to you?

Baranovich: It doesn’t matter.

Gant:  What do you mean, it doesn’t matter?  I don’t understand why you’re all so willing to die.

Baranovich: I don’t expect you to understand.

Gant: Don’t you resent those people in London ordering your deaths like this?

Baranovich: Mr. Gant... you’re an American.  You’re a free man.  I’m not.  There is a difference.  If I resent the men in London who are ordering me to die...then it’s a small thing when compared with my resentment...of the KGB.

“Eyuh.”
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1753 on: May 28, 2020, 12:26:11 AM »

Yeah, nice scene... Hawthorne is believable, helps give the film a little gravitas...

The Highlander

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #1754 on: May 28, 2020, 02:06:54 AM »

Where Eagles Dare is still entertaining. It’s a good action picture.
Clint Eastwood showed that he had a great physical presence, even if he was next to a Shakespearian actor like Richard Burton. They worked well together.
However, the role that Clint had to play wasn’t among the most challenging of his career.
In this movie, Clint was essentially a killing machine. He seemed to have been hired for the skills he developed in the Dollars trilogy. In Kelly’s Heroes, he probably had more to do as an actor.
I like them both. Where Eagles Dare looks more like a thriller whereas Kelly’s Heroes looks more like a comedy.
But Clint wasn’t so happy with them. It’s a short period time of his career when he was a rising movie star in Hollywood and did some big movies for the studios. Paint Your Wagon was one of those movies: Clint considered it as a waste of time and money. He thought that MGM ruined Kelly’s Heroes in the editing room: Brian G. Hutton didn’t have the final cut. Joshua Logan didn’t have the final cut for Paramount’s Paint Your Wagon.
Clint said that Where Eagles Dare should have been called Where Doubles Dare because stuntmen were required for many action sequences.

I just recorded Where Eagles Dare on TCM a few days ago.  Great movie.  It reminded me of an article I read many years ago in which Richard Burton was being interviewed and asked what it was like to work with Clint.  I was always impressed by Burton's reply. 

He said, in paraphrase, "It was the first day on the set of 'Where Eagles Dare' and, within the first 15 minutes, we all knew we were in the presence of a very remarkable man."

This post is not exactly in line with the thread, but I thought this comment was pretty cool and worth sharing.
Speer

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1755 on: May 28, 2020, 02:26:52 AM »

Yesterday I watched The 15:17 to Paris on TV (in Italy) for the second time and I must confirm that it's not Eastwood's best movie ever. Really. In my personal Clint's ranking I put it on the bottom of the list. Really sorry to admit but it's true. With The Mule and Richard Jewell...things got better again!

Gant
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1756 on: May 28, 2020, 10:35:05 AM »

When I saw Clint interviewed here in London he remarked on Burtons amazing capacity for Consuming alcohol .. 😁🍻

AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #1757 on: May 28, 2020, 02:35:11 PM »

Yesterday I watched The 15:17 to Paris on TV (in Italy) for the second time and I must confirm that it's not Eastwood's best movie ever. Really. In my personal Clint's ranking I put it on the bottom of the list. Really sorry to admit but it's true. With The Mule and Richard Jewell...things got better again!

Better you than me, Speer. Why on Earth would you put yourself through that torture a second time?  ;D
Perry
Member Extraordinaire

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #1758 on: May 30, 2020, 06:05:45 PM »

When I checked out Lady Godiva obviously Eastwood has basically a one line role as a young Saxon and I even noticed his speaking voice was dubbed. Eastwood must had been 25. The movie is horrible and it's even more surprising Maureen O'Hara was in such a stupid movie.
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #1759 on: May 30, 2020, 06:31:07 PM »

When I checked out Lady Godiva obviously Eastwood has basically a one line role as a young Saxon and I even noticed his speaking voice was dubbed. Eastwood must had been 25. The movie is horrible and it's even more surprising Maureen O'Hara was in such a stupid movie.
I noticed the same thing about Clint’s voice in Away All Boats.

“Eyuh.”
Pages: 1 ... 86 87 [88] 89 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T