News: See SULLY, starring Tom Hanks, now streaming and on DVD and Blu-ray!

« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Alfred Hitchcock  (Read 8149 times)
higashimori
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #40 on: October 13, 2013, 05:19:25 PM »

" Rebecca "  1940   With  Laurence Olivier, Joan Fontaine and Judith Anderson.....

For me, Rebecca is most dramatic film among the works of Hitchcock.  :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rebecca_%281940_film%29

" They just don't make then like this anymore ."      " I just don't meet then like him anymore !! "
Rawhide7
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #41 on: January 14, 2016, 01:51:27 AM »

Any of you own the 1948 movie rope. Directed by Hitchcock and starring jimmy Stewart. Have you seen this before?  I am trying to buy some classic movies. I really enjoyed rear window and this movie Rope looks pretty good. What are your thoughts about it?  I have been into watching and buying older classic movies. I enjoy movies that have Hollywood legends like Judy garland, Kim Novak, Grace Kelly, Micky Rooney, Henry Fonda, James Stewart, etc. Thise are some of my favorite classic actresses and actors.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2016, 01:54:52 AM by Rawhide7 » Logged
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #42 on: January 14, 2016, 02:33:29 AM »

Rope is good -- but spend your money on Eastwood films so you can do our Eastwood Movie Challenge!

But if you really want Hitchcock, my 10 favorites are Rebecca, Marnie, Notorious, North by Northwest, Spellbound, Rear Window, Psycho, The Birds, Strangers on a Train, and Vertigo. Argh, I need room for at least one more:  The Wrong ManRope doesn't make my cut.
Rawhide7
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #43 on: January 14, 2016, 02:44:33 AM »

Thanks Matt. Yeah I'm fixing to purchase more Eastwood movies I don't own. And I'm getting 12 Angry men as well. I already own rear window and I really enjoyed that one. I rented vertigo last night and watched it for the very first time and for some reason I really didn't take to that one. I think it's because I was tired and had a bad sinus headache. Because I'm in the minority on that movie. I mean I didn't think it was just terrible. I thought it was okay. But I actually enjoyed watching rear window better. I plan on watching vertigo again and when I'm well rested and feel better. Because I read online that back in 2012 it was voted the greatest movie ever made. I do defenately want to revisit that movie. Thanks for that list. Rope looked good based on the trailer. But it didn't even make your list.
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #44 on: January 14, 2016, 02:59:52 AM »

Rope has an interesting gimmick ... if you can buy or rent it cheap or borrow it from the library, you might watch it and see if you can figure it out. (If the trailer didn't give it away.)

By the way, Matt's list left off Shadow of a Doubt ... sometimes said by Hitchcock to be his own favorite. Say, isn't there a Hitchcock thread around here somewhere? ???

Say again, why are we all three online at five o'clock in the morning? ??? ???
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #45 on: January 14, 2016, 03:02:21 AM »

It's only 4:00 here, but I'm not even beginning to feel tired. Out of sleeping pills. :(

Yeah, Rope is definitely worth watching, but not one I'd purchase.

I can't remember Shadow of a Doubt. I need to watch that one again soon.
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #46 on: January 14, 2016, 03:13:06 AM »

Well, I'm going (back) to bed (had a long nap earlier). Good night, all night owls.
Doug
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

"May I make a suggestion..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #47 on: January 14, 2016, 04:46:24 AM »

I like Rope a lot and have seen it many times, but I'm not so sure about recommending it as a blind purchase, because I'm not sure how many times you will want to watch it. I'd recommend something else by Hitchcock, like Shadow of a Doubt, which is my third favorite Hitch film, or North by Northwest, which is my second favorite Hitch film, and one of the most rewatchable films ever.

Somewhere on this board is a Hitchcock thread.

"Yes, well, when I see five weirdos dressed in togas stabbing a guy in the middle of a park in full view of a hundred people, I shoot the bastards, that's my policy."  Frank Drebin, Police Squad.
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #48 on: January 14, 2016, 08:04:00 AM »

Somewhere on this board is a Hitchcock thread.

I found it ... merger accomplished. :)
Rawhide7
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #49 on: January 14, 2016, 06:57:26 PM »

Thanks everybody,

Yeah I am defenately a night owl.  It was actually 4am here where I live as well.  This site is addictive!
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

The real me

View Profile Email
« Reply #50 on: March 10, 2017, 06:31:15 PM »

I just watched Rope again. I'd seen it years ago, and then just saw where Rawhide had asked if people had seen it earlier in this thread. I think it's a terrific movie.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T