News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Alfred Hitchcock  (Read 11220 times)
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #60 on: September 15, 2018, 08:38:33 AM »

AKA, so you haven't seen Psycho yet?  Put yourself down for Rear Window on the movie club schedule, and think about recommending Psycho. It's a movie everyone should see at least once.
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #61 on: September 15, 2018, 03:44:09 PM »

I havenít seen ďPsycho.Ē On Imdb, they state itís partly a horror movie. Is that true? That doesnt seem to fit the plot description to me. I really hate horror movies though, so if its in that genre, I donít think Iíd like it. Iím definitely up for watching Rear Window.
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

The real me

View Profile Email
« Reply #62 on: September 15, 2018, 04:37:48 PM »

I mentioned in the first post of this thread that Vertigo is my favorite Hitchcock movie, and that's still true. I LOVE the punch in the gut ending.

I remember the first time I watched the movie was shortly before Jimmy Stewart died, which would place that in 1997. I liked the movie then, but it wasn't until I was in college and watched the movie three times to write a paper about it that it became my favorite (and that would have been around 2003). Yes, Stewart's character falls in love awfully fast, but watching him become unhinged just isn't something you'd typically expect from one of his characters. Of course Stewart wasn't afraid to get a bit dark with some of his roles, and he pulled it off wonderfully in Vertigo. It's my favorite performance from Stewart.
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #63 on: September 15, 2018, 06:44:50 PM »

I havenít seen ďPsycho.Ē On Imdb, they state itís partly a horror movie. Is that true? That doesnt seem to fit the plot description to me. I really hate horror movies though, so if its in that genre, I donít think Iíd like it. Iím definitely up for watching Rear Window.

Yeah, it technically can be considered horror, so can The Birds. But, they're not like horror films today. They are psychological dramas with horror aspects that I think helped spawn the horror films that we know today. I'm not sure, but it's possible Psycho could be considered the first slasher film. But don't let that scare you away (pun intended). It's too good a drama for one horror-type scene to keep you from watching one of the best acting performances in history, and some damn fine directing.
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

His job ..... steal it.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #64 on: September 15, 2018, 11:33:44 PM »

Back in the mid eighties some of Hitchcock's most famous films were re-released in the cinema in London and that's where I got to see them for the first time... Rear Window totally blew me away and I still think of it as my favourite of his..

To this day when I'm travelling and or staying somewhere new I'll check the view from the window to see if there's a " rear window" type view... Often there is and it never fails to set my imagination racing...

My top 5

Rear Window
Rebecca
Psycho
Strangers on a Train
North by Northwest

« Last Edit: September 15, 2018, 11:36:28 PM by Gant » Logged

Borderline burnout with questionable social skills
Doug
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

"May I make a suggestion..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #65 on: September 16, 2018, 01:23:07 PM »

What does everyone else think of "Vertigo?"

I've always been a bit underwhelmed by Vertigo as well, and I've seen it a bunch of times, including many times as a kid. But the last time I watched it might be the closest I've come to appreciating it the way others seem to do. I think the trick is see it strictly through a psychological perspective. The plot is so outlandish, but if you focus on Scottie's obsession, you can get more out of it.

Like KC, my three favorite Hitchcock films are Rear Window, North by Northwest, and Shadow of a Doubt, but I like or love just about all of his films.

Here's an interesting video I saw a couple years ago focusing on one scene in Vertigo.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/UgnNakO6JZw" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/UgnNakO6JZw</a>

"Yes, well, when I see five weirdos dressed in togas stabbing a guy in the middle of a park in full view of a hundred people, I shoot the bastards, that's my policy."  Frank Drebin, Police Squad.
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #66 on: September 17, 2018, 09:53:02 AM »

Here's an interesting video I saw a couple years ago focusing on one scene in Vertigo.

That was cool -- a mini film class. It's interesting how the blocking plays into the subconscious when you watch it, because non-film students wouldn't think about all that, and yet we still get the feelings that Hitchcock wanted to get across with the blocking.

Doug, how about joining us for some of the Hitchcock movies in our Movie Club? Shadow of a Doubt still hasn't been nominated. You don't have to participate in all of them, maybe just the ones that you haven't seen in a while.
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

His job ..... steal it.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #67 on: September 17, 2018, 12:57:14 PM »

Wow... That was brilliant, thanks for posting..

I do think Vertigo us a grower. I was a little disappointed the first time I saw it but have enjoyed it more and
More with subsequent viewings...

Borderline burnout with questionable social skills
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #68 on: Today at 05:26:02 AM »

How's Marnie? I like Sean Connery and was intrigued that he was in a Hitchcock film.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T