News: Now showing in theaters: CRY MACHO, directed by and starring Clint Eastwood!

« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Who saw CHANGELING? Members' Comments (WARNING: SPOILERS ALLOWED!)  (Read 45902 times)
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« on: October 03, 2008, 07:03:15 PM »

It will be a few weeks yet before many of us have a chance to see the film, but with the U.S. premiere tomorrow, I thought it was time to start the threads for members' comments!

In this thread, spoilers are allowed. Anyone who has seen Changeling and has more to say than can be safely posted in the "No Spoilers" thread, please give us your thoughts, comments or full-fledged review!

jtobin13

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2008, 11:10:24 AM »

I think ill wait for Dans review of the film,

ps alsp ordered the book on the northcutt Murders from exlibris
jt
« Last Edit: October 13, 2008, 06:10:54 AM by jtobin13 » Logged
Anonymous

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2008, 05:52:48 PM »

KC, when can we expect a review?
Sylvie
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2008, 03:08:45 AM »

Only a few days left and the film will be on French sreens : November the 12th.  I'll try to go and see it in the evening, after work.

I must admit that I am very surprised only KC saw it ... at least here on the board  ???

I' m almost sure it won't be the same for "Gran Torino"  ...

"If she looks back, that means she's interested . Come on now, give me a little look. One little glance back..."

2007 Movie journal
Dan Dassow
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2008, 03:53:12 AM »

Only a few days left and the film will be on French sreens : November the 12th.  I'll try to go and see it in the evening, after work.

I must admit that I am very surprised only KC saw it ... at least here on the board  ???

I' m almost sure it won't be the same for "Gran Torino"  ...
KC can correct me if I am wrong on this point, but the tickets for NYFF premiere of Changeling sold out quickly. The Los Angeles premiere of Changeling is tonight and goes into limited release tomorrow.

I plan to see Changeling on October 31, 2008 when it start showing in the St. Louis, Missouri area.

Link to LA Premiere Press Release
Sylvie
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2008, 04:02:57 AM »

:-[ You're right Dan Dassow ... it's ONLY the 23rd of October ... ( I miss the Smiley with a hammer knocking his head !  ;D)

In my mind, after the Première in NYC, everyone in the USA could see it ... I had only paid attention to this Première then to my "own date" with the film, on the 12th of November.  So I understand now !!!
Thank you very much ! :)

"If she looks back, that means she's interested . Come on now, give me a little look. One little glance back..."

2007 Movie journal
jtobin13

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2008, 08:42:31 AM »

ill be seeing at the great Arclight theatre in Hollywood after the jeff Paul lecture on Wineville murders.... john[/i a family friend whos the son of the dad who knew the winslow boys  was in attendance!!!

] I thought the film was very well done and her lips were not distracting to me at  all

After seeing the film to  a packed room at 5.00 pm especially like the intercut of 2 seperate courtroom scenes.and the flashback scenes, 9/10
Nice round of applause from the holllywood audience!!

« Last Edit: October 28, 2008, 09:48:18 AM by jtobin13 » Logged
exit00

Dying ain't much of a livin'

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2008, 04:36:24 PM »

After seeing the film to  a packed room at 5.00 pm especially like the intercut of 2 seperate courtroom scenes.and the flashback scenes, 9/10
Nice round of applause from the holllywood audience!!

Yeah, I just got back from seeing the film and I also really liked the two trials being shown at the same time, back and forth.

Again, Clint knows how to take a tough subject and story and make it into a most interesting and entertaining film.  At 2hrs 21minutes, the movie doesn't drag a bit... storytelling at its best.  Angelina Jolie was super in the lead role... (the critics complaining about her just don't like personal life imo.)  She looked just like women back in the 1920's... sorta reminded me of Faye Dunaway's looks in Chinatown.  Matter of fact, all of the actors were very good (although Donavan's Irish accent going in and out was a bit annoying).  Even all the kid actors gave very good performances.  (Just like in A Perfect World where Clint also got a great performance from a young kid).

I also liked Clint's signature score for the movie... reminded me a little of Unforgiven.

I ended up liking this film better than I thought I would, based on the subject matter.  But like Mystic River, a good story directed to perfection is always worth watching.  I give it a solid A.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2008, 03:19:27 AM by exit00 » Logged
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2008, 05:05:22 PM »

Wait, wait ... 2 hrs 41 minutes? It's not THAT long.

According to the IMDb, it is 141 minutes (2 hrs 21 minutes). I counted seven reels.

Thanks for your comments, John and exit00! :)
Fhil
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2008, 06:15:22 PM »

Saw this evening.  Loved it.  The complaints about the interwoven stories are really not true, the two stories work well together.  It's also extremely sad, I had no idea it would be this sad, I did shed a few tears here and there :)  It really is great.  Probably go into more detail later, when more of the members have seen it.
Dan Dassow
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2008, 09:33:58 PM »

My wife and I saw Changeling tonight. We both enjoyed the film immensely. Even though I knew the plotline is generally sad and read a few dozen reviews, I still teared up and was moved to near speachless at the end.

I thought the pacing of the film was perfect, although it seem to be over too quickly.
exit00

Dying ain't much of a livin'

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2008, 03:20:39 AM »

Wait, wait ... 2 hrs 41 minutes? It's not THAT long.

According to the IMDb, it is 141 minutes (2 hrs 21 minutes). I counted seven reels.

Thanks for your comments, John and exit00! :)

KC, sorry about that.... stupid typo.  I fixed my post.  Guess I was still too reved up after seeing the movie!!
Fhil
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2008, 09:10:26 AM »

I was doing some research on the story and the guy who played Northcott, the serial killer, looks EXACTLY like the real guy.  It's quite frightening.
Dan Dassow
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2008, 10:10:32 AM »

I was doing some research on the story and the guy who played Northcott, the serial killer, looks EXACTLY like the real guy.  It's quite frightening.

Gordon Stewart Northcott (left) and the actor who played him Jason Butler Harner (right) do look alot alike. Mr. Eastwood and since have mentioned this.

Regardless, Mr. Harner did a great job in the role bringing just the right level creepiness.
jtobin13

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2008, 12:27:31 PM »

Sure KC 
Im happy to say my twin saw it today and he heard me say get down at near end of verdict scene to Northcott..Chris and I Going to dinner with Mr Jeffrey Paul  this evening in Cary.NC
« Last Edit: November 07, 2008, 09:20:29 AM by jtobin13 » Logged
Dan Dassow
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2008, 12:53:54 PM »

Sure KC
Im happy to say my twin saw it today and he heard me say get down at near end of verdict scene to Northcott..Going to dinner with Mr paul this evening in Cary.NC

John,

I believe I saw you at 1:42 and 1:52 in Changeling when my wife and I saw the film last night. The second time was the verdict scene. I also heard you say, "get down" at the end of that scene.

By the way, Morgan Eastwood and her friend Maddy Hodges appear at 0:11:42 in the film. Maddy was to the left and Morgan was to the right on a scooter. Christine Collins (Angelina Jolie) calls her Suzie and asked her if she had seen Walter.
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2008, 02:24:26 PM »

Did Morgan have a line, Dan? :)

Also, I'm curioius ... How do you know so exactly where things happen?

P.S., I'm thinking of moving ALL of these comments into the "no spoilers" thread. I can't see that there are any spoilers here ... what do you think?
Dan Dassow
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2008, 03:14:53 PM »

Did Morgan have a line, Dan? :)

It's not much of a line. It was "Nuh-uh."

Correction: higashimori had a more accurate recall of the dialog.
Christine asked her " Have you seen Walter ? " She said " No, Mrs. Collins ."

Also, I'm curioius ... How do you know so exactly where things happen?
I started the stop watch on my wristwatch and noted the time. I was specifically watching for Morgan Eastwood, Maddy Hodges and John Tobin.

P.S., I'm thinking of moving ALL of these comments into the "no spoilers" thread. I can't see that there are any spoilers here ... what do you think?
I don't really see spoilers in John Tobin's statement and my response. It is probably best to move this to the "no spoilers" thread.

I am somewhat conservative regarding spoilers, since I know some people who do not want to know anything about a film.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2008, 12:49:12 AM by Dan Dassow » Logged
jtobin13

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2008, 04:12:12 AM »

Pretty amazing Dan  your  timing of the appearences .

Dan,I did have  2 good shots (recognizable)  in that scene, one other was AJ in foreground and myself at council table  .
In one shot I'm wearing dark blue suit and next final shots where I  pnteract  with JBH I'm  in a lighter blue suit Im also sitting in different seats,This is because they switched me with taller lawyer who is seen as Gordon is being led out of court
PS
 That line I said was the only time  I said it in the scene as I made it up on the last set up,thus no credit and no residuals.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2008, 06:50:48 AM by jtobin13 » Logged
Dan Dassow
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2008, 07:08:09 PM »

Pretty amazing Dan  your  timing of the appearences .

Dan,I did have  2 good shots (recognizable)  in that scene, one other was AJ in foreground and myself at council table  .
In one shot I'm wearing dark blue suit and next final shots where I grab JBH I'm  in a lighter blue suit Im also sitting in different seats,This is because they switched me with taller lawyer who is seen as Gordon is being led out of court
PS
 That line I said was the only time  I said it in the scene as I made it up on the last set up,thus no credit and no residuals.

John, I read the screenplay after seeing Changeling and your line was definitely not in the script. I did point you out to my wife during the sentencing scene.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T