News: See SULLY, starring Tom Hanks, now streaming and on DVD and Blu-ray!

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Pale Rider Trailer Mystery Solved!  (Read 4369 times)
B.C.
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« on: November 28, 2008, 06:20:57 PM »

Ok, where's the rest of this trailer?  I remember first seeing it back in 1985 and it started out like this: "In 1976 Warner Brothers brought you the last great American western, Clint Eastwood in The Outlaw Josey Wales.  This year Warner Brothers will be proud to bring you the next great American western...."

I was looking forward to seeing it in it's entirety upon dvd release but was sorely disappointed to find that the beginning was edited!  What in the world for?  Anyway, here's the edited version:

Pale Rider trailer

If anyone has the unedited version please post it here as I'd like to see it again.

footnote:  I bet Paramount Studios & John Wayne fans took umbrage to Warner Brothers statement, as they released The Shootist the same year.  (hmmm, maybe that's the answer) The Outlaw Josey Wales was released on June 30 and The Shootist was released August 11.
Nevertheless, both are great.

« Last Edit: January 29, 2011, 01:24:55 AM by Brian Cooper » Logged
philo
Member Extraordinaire

"Slightly advanced"

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2008, 06:40:04 PM »

Hi Brian,

The utube you posted is the full theatrical trailer and is only slightly edited, at the start of the Warner shield the first music beat and the words "In June" have been removed. The reason for this is that the film would open at later dates in other parts of the world so that part had to be changed. In the UK for example Pale rider didn't open until the October of 1985, so a trailer stating "June" would make no sense.

What you are talking about is the pre release teaser trailer. This was released quite early as it only features stills. It begins with the words you quoted both on screen and narrated. I was unable to find it on utube but have included the following grabs from my own trailer collection.

Regards

Philo .

"I won't be hitting you with my face"
B.C.
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2008, 06:53:19 PM »

Wow, that's great, Philo!  Funny what time can do to your memory.... well, at least mine  :D

The teaser trailer was narrated as well, yes?  I hope someone posts it to YouTube sometime soon, it would be great to see it again.

Thanks Philo, for the refresher!  O0
philo
Member Extraordinaire

"Slightly advanced"

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2008, 06:55:01 PM »

You are most welcome Brian.

Philo .

"I won't be hitting you with my face"
B.C.
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2011, 12:59:11 AM »

Funny, I was searching for the "Nothing like a good piece of hickory" scene on You Tube only to finally come across the unedited version of the Pale Rider trailer!  I'm sure this is the version I saw in the movie theater prior to release without the "now playing" tag-on at the end with another voice.  Here they both are:

Pale Rider short trailer/beginning commentary unedited

Pale Rider long trailer/beginning commentary edited

Much as I dislike this film, these Eastwood movie ads/trailers are among my favorite.

« Last Edit: January 29, 2011, 01:18:36 AM by Brian Cooper » Logged
B.C.
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2015, 05:43:20 PM »

Funny, I was searching for the "Nothing like a good piece of hickory" scene on You Tube only to finally come across the unedited version of the Pale Rider trailer!  I'm sure this is the version I saw in the movie theater prior to release without the "now playing" tag-on at the end with another voice.  Here they both are:

Pale Rider short trailer/beginning commentary unedited

Pale Rider long trailer/beginning commentary edited

Much as I dislike this film, these Eastwood movie ads/trailers are among my favorite.

Does anybody know where I can find the first of these two trailers?  It doesn't appear to be available on YouTube anymore and I'd love to be able to view it again. Either that, or if you could post it here I'd greatly appreciate it. I'm still baffled as to why only the edited version has been made available on DVDs and Blu Ray.
B.C.
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2015, 05:45:55 PM »

Heh heh, never mind. Found it again.  Pale Rider teaser trailer
Holden Pike
Member Extraordinaire

"If they move, kill 'em."

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2016, 09:48:38 AM »

As most who have watched movies very closely for years will have noticed, when it comes to the music used in trailers, especially teaser trailers, it is not unusual for them to use music that isn't from the film at all. The music for Pale Rider's teaser is called "Best Endeavours" by Alan Hawkshaw, and since the early 1980s it has been the theme for the Channel 4 News in the U.K.  ;D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyaXhplaSQ4

"We're not gonna get rid of anybody. We're gonna stick together, just like it used to be. When you side with a man you stay with him, and if you can't do that you're like some animal, you're finished. We're all finished."
B.C.
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2016, 12:12:57 PM »

As most who have watched movies very closely for years will have noticed, when it comes to the music used in trailers, especially teaser trailers, it is not unusual for them to use music that isn't from the film at all. The music for Pale Rider's teaser is called "Best Endeavours" by Alan Hawkshaw, and since the early 1980s it has been the theme for the Channel 4 News in the U.K.  ;D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyaXhplaSQ4

Very interesting!  Thanks!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T