News: Now showing in theaters: CRY MACHO, directed by and starring Clint Eastwood!

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Eastwood Lends Support  (Read 7788 times)
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« on: April 16, 2003, 05:08:10 PM »

Eastwood Supports Sarandon and Robbins

Hollywood legend Clint Eastwood has slammed Susan Sarandon and Tim Robbins' snub from baseball's Hall Of Fame. The acting pair were set to attend a 15th anniversary party of their movie Bull Durham - but it was suddenly canceled. Hall president Dale Petroskey sent a letter to Robbins and Sarandon last week, saying the April 26-27 festivities in Cooperstown, New York, have been called off because of their remarks opposing combat in Iraq. And Eastwood, who directed Robbins in Mystic River, blasts, "How dare they! They have a right to say what they want to say - when they want to say it."

http://us.imdb.com/PeopleNews/#3

GO CLINT! :) At first, I did find the casting of Mystic River to be rather strange because it does have a predominance of very liberal left wing leaning members in its cast. Clint Eastwood is reportedly rather conservative, and so I found it a bit strange. As far as I know, Clint supported President Bush's actions, and I thought did not take a liking to the celebrities petitioning against it. This does surprise me. I'm not saying that I do or don't support the war actions, this isn't the proper forum for that, but I was surprised to see that Clint has come out in support of Mr. Robbins and Mrs. Sarandon.      
« Last Edit: April 16, 2003, 05:21:47 PM by AKA23 » Logged
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2003, 05:19:13 PM »

This isn't a freedom of speech issue.  It's ridiculous to think that just because you're allowed to say anything you want to say in this country that you can't expect to be held accountable or responsible for what you say.  We have the freedom of speech, but not the freedom from the CONSEQUENCES of free speech.

So while I have the freedom of speech to come onto this forum, pick out several members and flame and harass them, I can expect that I will be banned from the forum for that.

I could be in a crowded movie theater and yell "Fire!" and cause a panic, but shouldn't I be held responsible for that?

If Sarandon and Robbins want to use EVERY public outing to blast Bush and our efforts in Iraq, then damn right they might find their public appearances cut down.  They won't be arrested for what they say, but they may have to suffer the consequences from those who vehemently disagree with them. The Baseball Hall of Fame didn't want their foundation associated with the antiwar stance, so they canceled.  That's fine and good... they have the right to do that too.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2003, 05:58:45 PM by Matt » Logged
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2003, 05:21:11 PM »

I'm not going to argue the point :) Hoo-rah! I just found it interesting. I wasn't saying that I supported what they were saying, or wasn't supporting what they were saying, I just thought it was interesting for Clint to come out and say that. That's all.  
EwFan62

Bill

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2003, 05:23:56 PM »

http://us.imdb.com/PeopleNews/#3

but I was surprised to see that Clint has come out in support of Mr. Robbins and Mrs. Sarandon.      

Color me surprised also.

Gunman: "You look just like a scarecrow."      Sartana: "I am your pallbearer." - ...IF YOU MEET SARTANA, PRAY FOR YOUR DEATH
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2003, 05:26:56 PM »

I'm not real surprised by it. Eastwood seems like a fair person.

Everybody is allowed to say whatever they want...the only thing is, people can react to it however they want to as well. Freedom runs both ways.
Daisy Abigael

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2003, 06:09:18 PM »

This isn't a freedom of speech issue.  
Of course it is.  Clint is quite right.  They have the right to speak - and yes, use their celebrity to back up their words.  They are fighting against heavy odds.  And they are still only words.

Blacklisting, excluding people with diffring views, inciting to boycott - this is censorship.  What have the pro-war lobby got to fear from these people?

So while I have the freedom of speech to come onto this forum, pick out several members and flame and harass them, I can expect that I will be banned from the forum for that. I could be in a crowded movie theater and yell "Fire!" and cause a panic, but shouldn't I be held responsible for that?
You're saying making reasoned arguments against the government's policy is the same thing as committing irresponsible, abusive or anti-social acts?!

In America?

Since when did speaking one's mind become anti-social?

Are your opinions and beliefs so weakly held that you can not stand to hear any dissent at all? ???

...our efforts in Iraq
Hey, Matt!  I didn't know you'd been over there.  What exactly did you do?  ;D

Daisy Girl!
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2003, 06:13:21 PM »

The Hall of Fame wanted to honor Bull Durham, they didn't want the occasion used to promote antiwar sentiments.  That's completely understandable.

And Daisy, as a taxpayer in America, I think I had quite a bit to do with the efforts in Iraq... I helped pay for it!  ;D
« Last Edit: April 16, 2003, 06:16:46 PM by Matt » Logged
Daisy Abigael

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2003, 06:33:02 PM »

The Hall of Fame wanted to honor Bull Durham, they didn't want the occasion used to promote antiwar sentiments.  That's completely understandable.
OK.  But please do not pretend that that is not also a political decision.

And Daisy, as a taxpayer in America, I think I had quite a bit to do with the efforts in Iraq... I helped pay for it!  ;D
And as a tax payer of the United Kingdom, so did I.  >:(Where do I get a refund?

Daisy Girl!
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2003, 06:36:53 PM »

Freedom of Speech, here's how it works....

Tim and Susan can say whatever they want.
The Hall of Fame can decide they don't want outspoken antiwar demonstrators honored during wartime at their facility.
The public can decide not to support Tim and Susan by watching their movies.
The public can also decide not to ever visit the Hall of Fame because they canceled the event.

Daisy, can't imagine why you'd want a refund... I'm thinking it's money well spent, myself.  ;D
Daisy Abigael

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2003, 06:40:37 PM »

Daisy, can't imagine why you'd want a refund... I'm thinking it's money well spent, myself.  ;D

OK.  Not a refund.  Just an itemised bill.

I'm wondering exactly how much it cost to blow the arms off a little boy and kill all his family?

Is that freedom of speech enough for ya?

Daisy Girl!
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2003, 06:44:06 PM »

Freedom..  If there's anything worth dying for... this is it.
Daisy Abigael

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2003, 06:53:06 PM »

I forget that. Yes, I did.

They should be proud to die those civillians, those children.

It is freedom of a sort.

The freedom of the powerful to do whatever they damn well want...

Saddam:  "What's the after sales service like?"
Rumsfeld:  "It'll kill ya!"

Daisy Girl!
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2003, 07:07:01 PM »

I wouldn't say they're "proud to die," but there's never been a war without casualities.  The Iraqi people didn't have the power to overthrow Saddam themselves, but now that they're no longer in fear of their lives for speaking out to oppose their government, they're voicing their opinions loud and clear... they wanted this liberation.  Some things are worth fighting, and dying for.

This is totally away from Eastwood.... Daisy, write me off the board if you want to continue this.
Daisy Abigael

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2003, 07:10:53 PM »

This is totally away from Eastwood.... Daisy, write me off the board if you want to continue this.

Except that this thread is about how Clint has defended people's right to talk out in public forums! :o

Okay, okay! Enough, already... :)

Daisy Girl!
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2003, 07:25:55 PM »

Maybe it's time to move this discussion to the Off Topic forum ...  ::)
Dina

God,Watch Over Our Leaders And Country

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2003, 08:23:43 PM »

How dare them! Who do they think they are,the Dixie Chicks?

Dina
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2003, 08:37:55 PM »

Even if some of us don't like what they have to say, they have the right to say it.  Freedom of Speech.   :)

KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2003, 09:13:16 PM »

Thanks to everyone for expressing your right to free speech in this thread. This discussion is now closed. If anyone has anything else to contribute, please PM the person to whom you wish to express it.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T