News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account setup.

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Significance of painting the town in "Drifter"?  (Read 6707 times)
herofan

View Profile Email
« on: January 08, 2009, 05:54:34 PM »

What was the big significance of painting the town red in HPD? I thought it might mentally throw off the three bad guys, but they didn't even seem to notice it.  They didn't see the sign, and they never paused and asked, "why is the town painted red."  They just rode in with guns blazing as if it were normal.  Did the Drifter intend for it to intimidate them, or was all the labor and appearance another way to punish the towns people?
Doug
Member Extraordinaire

"May I make a suggestion..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2009, 12:32:01 AM »

or was all the labor and appearance another way to punish the towns people?

My answer would be yes, to punish the towns people.  No question about it.

"Yes, well, when I see five weirdos dressed in togas stabbing a guy in the middle of a park in full view of a hundred people, I shoot the bastards, that's my policy."  Frank Drebin, Police Squad.
KC
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2009, 07:28:39 AM »

Also, the Stranger takes pleasure throughout the film in applying certain figures of speech in a literal fashion. "Painting the town red" is one of them. And as one of the townspeople says ... when you paint Lago red, it's gonna "look like Hell."
herofan

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2009, 08:14:00 AM »

This is probably being picky(I do that sometimes) but where in the world would they have gotten
all that paint; wasn't it 200plus gallons that was mentioned?  Did someone take a trip and get it?   I guarantee you couldn't find that much red paint in my town today. :)
Doug
Member Extraordinaire

"May I make a suggestion..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2009, 05:16:10 PM »

This is probably being picky(I do that sometimes) but where in the world would they have gotten
all that paint; wasn't it 200plus gallons that was mentioned?  Did someone take a trip and get it?   I guarantee you couldn't find that much red paint in my town today. :)

Yeah, it's things like that where you just say: "It's only a movie."  If you really stretch your imagination, you could probably come up with strange, coincidental way that they were able to come up with that much paint, and the Stranger being the smart guy he was, or perhaps because he is an avenging angel, knew they would be able to get the paint.  Maybe someone has some good theories there....

"Yes, well, when I see five weirdos dressed in togas stabbing a guy in the middle of a park in full view of a hundred people, I shoot the bastards, that's my policy."  Frank Drebin, Police Squad.
brendog10

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2009, 11:17:52 PM »

I just have to say Thank God somebody brought this point up. It has been confusing me for years now. Suddenly the movie makes much more sense .
herofan

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2009, 10:19:16 AM »

I just have to say Thank God somebody brought this point up. It has been confusing me for years now. Suddenly the movie makes much more sense .

I understand.  When I watched this movies as a kid, I had no idea he was supposed to be a ghost, or whatever you want to call it.  The best I could figure as a kid was that maybe he was the Marshall and there was this Clark Kent/Superman thing going on.   Maybe he really wasn't dead, it had been a while, and now he had a beard and they just didn't recognize him.  I didn't really get a lot of the other stuff too, like the rape.  What part confused you the most?
Lena

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2009, 02:36:53 PM »

he wrote "Hell" on the welcoming sign of the town remember ?

The Mayor: Well, let's have it.
Callahan: Have what?
The Mayor: Your report! what have you been doing?
Callahan: Oh, well for the past three quarters of an hour I've been sitting on my ass in your outer office waiting on you!
JoseyWales Fan

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2009, 08:33:50 AM »

I always thought it painted red to look like the fires of hell.
paul78zephyr

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2009, 06:33:54 AM »

Its the blood they have on their hands for what they did.

Lewis Belding: "Two hundred gallons of blood-red paint. It couldn't be worse if the devil
himself had ridden into Lago."

Paul
« Last Edit: May 08, 2009, 06:37:44 AM by paul78zephyr » Logged
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T