News: Now showing in theaters: CRY MACHO, directed by and starring Clint Eastwood!

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: THE ENFORCER: Style & Technique 1: Direction & Cinematography  (Read 2106 times)
Brendan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« on: February 15, 2009, 11:26:22 PM »

"On the first day, I was nervous," he admitted, "but I got over it right away. Obviously, I know Clint pretty well. He is a decisive person who won't vacillate once he decides on a shot. He gets nervous and upset if you can't make up your mind."

"I made darn sure I knew what I wanted. I had the final decision on the set. But when you get to the cutting room, I could only overrule Clint for so long, after all, he is the executive producer."
James Fargo, from the website http://www.the-dirtiest.com/fargo.htm
Original text appeared in Oakland Tribune, Jan. 9, 1977.

This was James Fargo’s first film as a director. He had previously worked on five Eastwood films as assistant director. (Joe Kidd, High Plains Drifter, Breezy, The Eiger Sanction and The Outlaw Josey Wales)

What do you think of Fargo’s direction of The Enforcer? List the strengths and any weaknesses, including anything you find particularly striking about the film's visual style: camera placement, lighting, point of view, length of shots, etc.

Cinematographer Charles.W. Short also worked as an assistant on previous Eastwood films before taking the helm behind the camera for this film. What do you think of the cinematography in The Enforcer?
Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2009, 12:51:05 PM »

The Direction.... I felt it was fine.  There were no glaring errors that I noticed in James Fargo getting the right reactions from the characters.     Some of the scenes in Alcatraz prison IMO were very well done and left you sitting on the edge of your seat.  I am sure others will have seen direction errors but I didn't stop and think 'that could have been better' as I have in other movies.  (Not necessarily Eastwood movies)

Cinematography.........The lighting was notably 'lighter' than many of Clint's movies but seemed right for The Enforcer.
Some of the chase scenes were fantastic.    I felt it was an all round success.
D'Ambrosia
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2010, 07:44:33 PM »

Thanks to everyone for participating in this discussion. This topic is now closed, please post any additional thoughts in the Dirty Harry forum.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T