News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: THE ENFORCER: The Story 6: Themes  (Read 2694 times)
Brendan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« on: February 15, 2009, 11:26:57 PM »

According to Ira Konigsberg's The Complete Film Dictionary, a theme is "a general subject, topic, message, concept, social attitude, or mood that runs throughout a work of art."

What are the important themes in The Enforcer? Discuss how any one is expressed and developed in the movie.
Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2009, 01:02:03 PM »

I can't say it is the most improtant theme in the movie. However the developing working relationship between Harry and Kate is very much a theme IMO.   After a really shaky start Harry mellows and realises that Kate has the potential to make a great cop.  She saves his life and loses her own in the process.  What more could a partner give.
I guess I don't always watch a movie looking for themes.  I watch it for the pleasure I get from seeing the story that unfolds on the screen.
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2009, 07:51:12 PM »

I think a running theme of the Harry movies is how Harry learns to respect his various partners despite their "diversity." In The Enforcer, the theme is played up more than usual, beginning with the scene with the Oral Examining board establishing that he has no patience with the idea that an unproven woman from Personnel could be promoted ahead of better qualified male cops who had walked a beat and made arrests. Gradually as the fil progresses, he understands Kate's strengths and that she is indeed highly qualified for the job.
Doug
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

"May I make a suggestion..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2009, 04:32:40 AM »

Another theme is that it's dangerous being Harry's partner.  Better have your will made out...

As well, it's a "war out there" and if the police are to win it then you'll have to give them the means of fighting back. 

"Yes, well, when I see five weirdos dressed in togas stabbing a guy in the middle of a park in full view of a hundred people, I shoot the bastards, that's my policy."  Frank Drebin, Police Squad.
D'Ambrosia
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2010, 07:45:34 PM »

Thanks to everyone for participating in this discussion. This topic is now closed, please post any additional thoughts in the Dirty Harry forum.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T