News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: THE ENFORCER: The Story 5: Kate’s Death  (Read 2738 times)
Brendan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« on: February 15, 2009, 11:27:20 PM »

”One of the problems we had from the beginning of this thing, when we had the script and they didn’t want Harry to have a female partner was what do you do with the partner at the end. A male partner, you can kill them off at the end, the audience will accept that. Will they accept this, and I said Yeah. She’s proven herself throughout the whole movie and given up her life for Harry.”
James Fargo, from the audio commentary on The Enforcer Ultimate Collectors Edition DVD.

Would you have preferred Kate to survive at the end of the film rather than be killed?
Aline

Email
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2009, 07:07:59 AM »

Hard question...
maybe it was "better" have her killed or what it would be next? Kate would recover, and as Harry always start his new "missions" with a new partner, she wont be working with him  anymore...it would be hard for the audience (at least, for me) forget her. She would be always an "interrogation" and this would have the audience asking for more, I guess.

So, maybe it was more "convenient" have her killed.
And worked well, it was a heartbreaking ending. Maybe Harry didn't love her as a woman but he definitely had respect and cared for her.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2009, 09:05:42 AM by Aline » Logged
Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2009, 02:19:21 PM »

Kate's death was because she was saving Harry's life.  She couldn't be in another Harry movie as his partner so it was easier to kill her off.  It also showed a side to Harry that was not there when he lost his male partners.   Would he have felt obligated to her for saving him if she had recovered and then would there have been a relationship I think not.   Harry is a loner who's partners are expendable.
_Clintan_

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2009, 08:49:56 AM »

Hard question...
maybe it was "better" have her killed or what it would be next? Kate would recover, and as Harry always start his new "missions" with a new partner, she wont be working with him  anymore...it would be hard for the audience (at least, for me) forget her. She would be always an "interrogation" and this would have the audience asking for more, I guess.

So, maybe it was more "convenient" have her killed.
And worked well, it was a heartbreaking ending. Maybe Harry didn't love her as a woman but he definitely had respect and cared for her.

Agreed, convenient is the right word. The ending is one of the few things about this movie that I remembered, so it was a powerful one.

D'Ambrosia
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2010, 07:45:55 PM »

Thanks to everyone for participating in this discussion. This topic is now closed, please post any additional thoughts in the Dirty Harry forum.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T