News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: THE ENFORCER: The Story 3: Harry & Kate  (Read 2919 times)
Brendan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« on: February 15, 2009, 11:28:40 PM »

This was the first time Harry Callahan had been partnered with a female. What do you think of their working relationship? Were they a good team or would you have preferred Harry to be partnered with a male again? Would you like to have seen Harry and Kate get romantically involved?
Aline

Email
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2009, 06:46:15 AM »

Kate was clearly in love with Harry but she didn't expect anything from him, at least, it was what seemed to me. Being next to him and working with him was enough to her. She was a humble woman...see that scene where he gave her a compliment...she just lowered her head and smiled shyly.

It was great seeing Harry working with a female partner for a change. And yes, I'd love them to have started a romance but poor Kate didn't get not even a kiss :P
She loved him, she basically died for him.
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2009, 02:24:03 PM »

I've mentioned elsewhere that part of the appeal of the movie is Harry being partnered up with a woman. It's not that Harry is sexist, but rather that he doesn't like the political correctness of the society that says they must hire a certain number of women so it'll look good to everyone else. There's some commentary there about politicians who want to look good.

But I think Kate eventually understands Harry's concerns that if she messes up "out there," she and her partner could die.

By the end, Harry clearly respects Kate. And there is the thought that a romance could have been there (she seems rather open to it during the innuendo-laden conversation they have). But would the relationship have worked? Harry seems to have a rather casual relationship with his neighbor in Magnum Force, and there's no suggestion that he's had a serious relationship with a woman since his wife died. Or maybe it'd take another cop to really get his attention now. Maybe Kate would have been able to understand him.

As it is, I'm glad we don't see Harry and Kate trying to pursue a relationship. It would have seemed rushed given the time they have together.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 02:26:45 PM by Christopher » Logged
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2009, 02:31:30 PM »

There's some commentary there about politicians who want to look good.

Yeah, the scene in the review board, when Harry says:

It's a hell of a price to pay, for being stylish!

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2009, 01:27:09 PM »

I don't think a romace between Kate and Harry would have worked.   She was in love with him and he respected her especially towards the end.  He was devestated when she died but that wasn't because he loved her.  IMO   If there had been a romantic involvement the whole story would have been different.
Aline

Email
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2009, 06:37:37 AM »

The thing about they having a romance is actually only in my fantasy, i know it would be inappropriate to the movie and totally out of the characteres, specially to Harry.
However, this could eventually happen if there was another sequel, if Kate hadn't passed away, of course.

D'Ambrosia
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2010, 07:46:47 PM »

Thanks to everyone for participating in this discussion. This topic is now closed, please post any additional thoughts in the Dirty Harry forum.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T